ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Just had an email too

"Dear Ben,

just a quick note to say that the dispatch of your order has been delayed due to temporary stock shortages which should be remedied tomorrow when our next delivery from Auto Finesse arrives. As a result of dispatch being delayed, we will ship your order on a faster 1-2 working day service free of charge. Thus, as it stands right now, we still fully expect you to receive your order in full within the quoted 3-5 working day timescale for the free shipping option.

Best regards,

Rich"

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Great service indeed. I just cannot understand how they have managed to sell out of one or more of my items when I ordered at 11am on release day!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Black paint work... What a pain!

Washed my new car this weekend.

jetwash
foam
jetwash
handwash
jetwash
then dried using a chamois leather... (I know I know...)

This I think is my problem. Tody in the sun the car looks a bit smeary if you get what I mean. Do you think using proper drying towels would solve this issue?

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
A proper drying towel will certainly help

Do you use a quick detailer spray after drying? this will help lift any remaining dirt left from rinsing.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
No. Would it be best to dry using a proper towel, then use detailer spray with a cloth for example?

(edit - recommendation for some towels?)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah a drying towel is only part of the issue. Certainly won't stop those water spots/smearing. 10 minutes with a nice QD will sort that out.

I can't recommend the uber drying towel from i4d enough. I bought the XL, hola shat like a bath towel size. Awesome!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Ok, so a decent big towel. I did have some nice plush towels a few years ago but left them when I moved house! fail...

Plus some QD.

I must admit, I am going to do a proper job with some polish and wax.

I do have some SRP and some 476 wax. But, tbh, I find the 476 quite hard work. It isn't the nicest to work with (especially by hand!!) bit dusty too. Any recommendations for a long lasting wax? QUite like SRP but is there anything more suitable for black?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
cool cheers!

as a reward, picture of my new car :cool:

19952b2a-39a1-4fbf-8825-c5a5783ed347_zpsf213149e.jpg

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
cool cheers!

as a reward, picture of my new car :cool:

19952b2a-39a1-4fbf-8825-c5a5783ed347_zpsf213149e.jpg

Amazing car! I'd look at either auto finesse tripple or prima amigo, as with the wax thee is nothing wrong with SRP but there are newer better versions available now.

My favourite combo at the moment is amigo and r222, the wax doesn't last long 2 months max but is so nice to use and very glossy!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Something like Tripple (like a better more modern Srp) and HD will shock you Seb. Stunning combo for easy looks by hand and durability.

Stunning car though chap! Long way from a Sportage! Hope you're well mate.

My £100 order from CYC was delivered today. Shame I'm in Liverpool at the moment, so will only get a chance to try the stuff out on Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing what flaying will do to the Megane, and trying out Zaino Z2 and Gtechniq C5.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Cheers for the recommendations guys and the love for the new car. Looks like i'll be putting an order in tbh.

330D SE, black leather, xenons, electric heated seats, uprated stereo, folding mirrors.. the list of options goes on and on. Goes like stink. Drove some M-sports but not my thing. Too harsh a ride. I do a 72 mile round trip for work a day so needed the comfort for my motorway cruise. :cool:

Twingo Dynamique
Ok, so had my car for a few months now... i have read the sticky guides, but i dont really know where to start with this "detailing" malarkey, the closest i have been is:

Quick rinse with pressure washer,
sheepskin wash mitt hand wash (two bucket method) using either AutoGlym shampoo, or more often some "wash 'n' wax" thing, yellow bottle,
then rinse all the soapy residue off with pressure washer again,
then either leave to dry or chamois leather....

so basically i want to know whats the next thing i should add(or remove) from my wash process, which probably happens once a week. This is all on a very low budget too!!! like, not even what you guys might call low budget for this kinda thing... :L

i probably get about £5-£15 spare each week to spend on car things after fuel... :/

Thanks for your help!!

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Step 1 Remove the chamois and add a drying towel.
Step 2 Switch out the AG shampoo for a better alternative, dodo juice BTBM, Auto Finesse lather etc
Step 3 decontamination - look at iron x / iron out / purple rain for the iron fallout, and tardis / oblitarate / tar x for the tar removal
Step 4 Clay the car, I like built hamber soft as you can use water as lube
Step 5 polish / cleanse / glaze, look at AF tripple / prima amigo
Step 6 seal all the hard work using a wax / sealant

personally if I was on a budget I'd wait until polished bliss stocked up tomorrow and take the advantage of the offer with the following shopping list.

Lather
imperial
iron out
oblitarate
clay
glide
tripple
tough coat
revive
megs enendurance

total £86 with the 3 for 2 offer (I understand that's over your £15 per week max budget but will be cheaper in the long run)

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
In people with vast experience's experience, what are the best things to use for each of the following steps, all by hand:

- Apply SRP
- Remove SRP
- Apply AG HD
- Remove AG HD

Tips on application & wait time between stages would also be most welcome!

Thanks

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Apply SRP by hand with a damp MF or foam app, 50p should cover a panel. once worked in remove when ready with a MF cloth. Apply too much and it gets very dusty

Apply HD wax with the supplied red foam applicator dampened first. spread as thin as possible to one or two panels max before removing with the supplied MF cloth. Put it on thick or leave it too long and it will be a pain to remove.

Pearce

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Just recieved illusion from auto finesse should it be stored in the fridge or left on the shelf

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Have picked up a Black car for my sins today and now thinking I need to make a few key purchases to try and keep it looking as good as possible.

Asked about detailing gear for black cars before and was recommended Poorboys Blackhole.

Prepared to spend a little bit but nothing too over the top.

I've just about run out of shampoo and most of the other bits are old so fire a must have list at me guys, All will be applied by hand as I do not own a machine polisher.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Have picked up a Black car for my sins today and now thinking I need to make a few key purchases to try and keep it looking as good as possible.

Asked about detailing gear for black cars before and was recommended Poorboys Blackhole.

Prepared to spend a little bit but nothing too over the top.

I've just about run out of shampoo and most of the other bits are old so fire a must have list at me guys, All will be applied by hand as I do not own a machine polisher.

The 3for2 offer on polishedbliss

Autofinesse tripple, tough coat, and something else :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Oh and to add something for the glass and black plastics as it has a lot of each.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
So Auto Finesse is a clear winner especially with a 3 for 2 discount...... Seems like I could easily buy 6 products.

Shampoo - Lather
Polish - Tripple
Sealant - Tough Coat
Wax - Temptation
Glass - Crystal
Plastics - Revive

Seem ok?

Missing anything key?

Except cloths, pads etc.

Last edited:
  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Okay,

Just been out with SRP and Halfords polisher.

Bloody hell that thing vibrates like mad!

Have got it a little redder, need to pop down to halfords for some more SRP, is there anything I could pick up that would get quicker results?

Right, I'm looking at buying either the AF DA system (buying all 3 pads and polish's) or buying the Megs MF DA system with the compound and the cutting pads. This will be for the 330, the paint isn't in the worst condition, but its a bit dull and being German its going to be hard (right?).

I'll 100% be using a DA and I'll be restricted to doing most of the work in one day (outdoors).

What should I do...?

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Couldn't get along with the megs, maybe the microfibre pads are a little less forgiving for an average weekend detailer. I will be trying the polish and finish parts of the AF system.