ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Just bought a load of Gtechniq gear for the Megane.

I really liked detailing my VX220 and Exige, mainly as they're so small it doesn't take too long, and you don't need as much materials. The Megane is like a range rover in comparison!!
Looking forward to seeing what the trim restorer does, and have another to at applying some G1 too.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Or Carpro direct using the discount code in the sticky mate.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Just ordered some iron x, used the discount code too :). Ordered the 500ml to get an idea, should be plenty?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah plenty mate. 1 litre does me plenty of cars. Don't spray it heavily on per panel, doesn't take much.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty much, I usually leave it for 5/10 mins let it work away.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Sweet. Spray all over? Start from the top and work the way down? Ok to go on the glass etc? Was hoping it would be delivered by sat, can't see it though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah you migth struggle for sat, never know. Yeah just spray on all the metal panels, any overspray on aluminium or plastuc/glass is fine mate. It's a very very safe product. It didn't even strip wax in my testing.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I've never found it to strip wax, so if any wax was placed over contaminated panels it may stop iron x doing its job properly.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Smashing. Been reading up for a while and only came across the sticky ref car pro otherwise would have ordered a couple of days ago. Hoping it turns up by sat will be a busy boy Sunday. New polish and wax to try :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I've never found it to strip wax, so if any wax was placed over contaminated panels it may stop iron x doing its job properly.

Will report back my findings of all the products I've used. Won't be in depth but will give an idea for the lesser detail guru's on here.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Just had an email off Andy at car pro saying as I asked nicely he's sent the iron x first class today so all bring well will get to try it Sunday :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant

That's quite interesting! I've never used it on it's own, but typically after washing and before tar remover and it still pulls out contaminants so wouldn't have thought any existing wax layers would hinder its performance too much, well I hope anyway

Dynamique 1.2 16v
Hello pretty new to this and basically want to know the basics I need to get the best out of the colour of my car, and how to make it really shine! Got clio dynamique in Nautilus Blue (ted48) any sort of help and guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I've just bought a bright red car, which has faded.. pretty much to pink. The original finish doesn't have any clear coat.

I have a Halfords electric polisher thingy, can i use that? What other advice can you give without spending silly amounts?

BMW E46 330i Touring
So I'm planning on giving the Beemer a bit of love and attention and am going to crack out the Scholl S17+ I've had for a while now.

Will this with the Scholl Spider Pads refine down well enough to not need a finishing combination after, or do I need a finishing polish to follow?

If so, what would you recommend to finish?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've just bought a bright red car, which has faded.. pretty much to pink. The original finish doesn't have any clear coat.

I have a Halfords electric polisher thingy, can i use that? What other advice can you give without spending silly amounts?

Years ago I did a Renault Espace with a halfords electrical polisher and a bottle of Red coloured T-cut!!! lol.

Tbh, you could do that now, but you'll need to put some decent protection on it to stop it fading within a week.

My 1988 Orion was a bit pink and after I spent time polishing it (AG paint renovator, CG 3N, SRP) I then waxed it with some Auto finesse spirit wax. The car is on my parents driveway now some 5 weeks later (In the snow/wind/sun/rain) and it still looks as good as when I did it. Looks amazing.

Basically what i'm saying is, you get what you pay for.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
32B1CA4C-0EC4-4695-A547-7BD9B2F03A43-565-000000359D1F083B_zps4fff7532.jpg

Yay, it's arrived!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Looks like a Remington Fuzz away. As used by elderly people for shaving the fluff off of their cardigans.

Tony wears cardigans so i'm guessing i'm right??

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It's for my Alcantara, it will take all the bobbles off.

And of course Dan I'll use it to sort my cardigans out too lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Dan. I've got Srp and some really good wax so will see what happens!

Srp via an MF applicator not cloth. Will worth great mate. Surprising how good a finish you can get by hand!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Morning fellas,

ive ordered some tardis and some smart wheels, can you tell me what ratio i should be diluting them?

ive also bought some valetpro citrus pre wash and a punp spray, any sugestion on dilution rate for this also?

I also have got some autosmart g101 apc, again lol, what ratios would you advise?

Just to confirm also, for cleaning wheels then sealing, an i correct in thinking,
wheel clean first
then iron x
then tardis
then clay if i want
then seal?

i plan on getting the f100k sealant for them.

im starting to collect a load of new items ready for this year to get into detaili, heres what i recently got for my bdayfrom the other half
F3638D50-C516-4326-90D9-0E06DB8D8549-722-00000124979E3E3E_zps08fc15ad.jpg

BMW E46 330i Touring
I've not used AS Smart Wheels or G101, but you use Tardis neat (either spray on and wipe or dab on with a MF cloth) and I use Citrus Pre-Wash at around 10:1. Yuo can adjust depending on how strong you need the cleaning agent to be though... on the backs of wheels that haven't been cleaned for a while you may want to go down to 8:1, for example.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
So I'm planning on giving the Beemer a bit of love and attention and am going to crack out the Scholl S17+ I've had for a while now.

Will this with the Scholl Spider Pads refine down well enough to not need a finishing combination after, or do I need a finishing polish to follow?

If so, what would you recommend to finish?

the polish is a perfect one stepper mate but i'm not sure on the pads sadly. Do they have a guide? Just to see how coarse the pad is.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Cheers mate, I got it as a present last year and it's been sat in my shed ever since! I did get a guide emailed to me by the Reflectology guy ages ago so I'll dig that out and see how the pads are considered.

Generic question here, didn't want to start a new thread.

Can someone recommend a good wax? Want something for my new Megane (which is white if that makes a difference!)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Do you want a wax for White just for pleasure mate?

Zaino for me. Tough Coat and Werkstat are great and they are soooo easy to use but if you're waxing over you need Zaino. Z2+ Z6orZ8.

Zaino has stood the test of time so so well. Concentrate on decon stage, tardis, IronX good claying. Decent polish via DA and then onto the Zaino then wax over if you wish.

Budget for the wax mate? I get excited about detailing new cars. :eek: