ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Not a 320d
I need a new pressure washer as my Karcher is done goofed.

What do.

Had a 110bar Karcher. I also have a snowlyfoam lance for it.

What to get?

Budget ~£200

Cant stretch to a petrol operated Kranzle unfortunately. Would like 120bar +

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Jaff, how old is the G1 on your screen. I found the same as you after about 12-18months but for the 1st year was bone dry from 40mph+

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going to try g5 next. Gave waxing the windows ago, didnt give great results tbh

I find the whole wipers destroying the wax a bit rubbish tbh, its either that or I have a miracle windscreen.

Mine was waxed quite a while ago now and still beads a reasonable amount, obviously nothing like G1 probably would but its certainly not nonexistent.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So today i thought i would make a start on giving my plastic trim a coating of Gtechniq C4.

I didn't think that it was that bad condition as i only had to give it a coat of AF Revive every 2 to 3 weeks.

Sorry for the crap pictures but ive only got my phone, but you get the idea.

20130914_165539_zps1e3bc874.jpg

20130914_171314_zps904a2a12.jpg

20130914_172117_zpsb420f70e.jpg

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
So today i thought i would make a start on giving my plastic trim a coating of Gtechniq C4.

I didn't think that it was that bad condition as i only had to give it a coat of AF Revive every 2 to 3 weeks.

Looks wicked mate

Cheers dude. :)

Agreed, looks superb buddy!

However, keep an eye on that Eraser. Looks to be particles in it that will mark freshly polished paint. Could just be dust on the bottle, but Jim White had a nightmare recently having fully corrected a Monaro!!

Not a 320d

However, keep an eye on that Eraser. Looks to be particles in it that will mark freshly polished paint. Could just be dust on the bottle, but Jim White had a nightmare recently having fully corrected a Monaro!!

Ouch!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Cheers JD, where possible i was going to remove all of the plastic parts.

Find it easier to clean and coat in the kitchen. :D

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Just checked my eraser and it's completely translucent and nothing like that above, I originally thought it was bubbles from using it until closer inspection.

That's quite worrying

What do people use to shift bugs?

I get loads when i go out on the bike at the minute im just using a damp mircofibre and some water. The bike is protected but im unsure what to use as i dont want to strip it back.

Did i read somehwere that RDS is Ph neutral or just me making it up?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I've gone through at least 10 bottles of eraser and not yet had a problem but I've heard a few people mention bad things about it.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What do people use to shift bugs?

I get loads when i go out on the bike at the minute im just using a damp mircofibre and some water. The bike is protected but im unsure what to use as i dont want to strip it back.

Did i read somehwere that RDS is Ph neutral or just me making it up?

How often are you cleaning it? I did mine every 3months as the bug splatter was terrible every ride so left it. Used AF citrus power then a MF sponge to remove.

RDS is supposed to be Ph neutral I believe.

Mine is currently protected with AF tripple and Carpro reload until it gets EXO

Just a recent bad batch wasn't it?

Yep.

Jay, yes RDS is wax safe, but now depends on how cheap you can get it. It's only worth it when it's £3 as it works the same as AF Citrus Power 1:1 diluted with water, which is £10 per litre undiluted, so £5 when the same power as RDS (RDS is £6).

Dave it depends how far i go on it and how badly it gets splatted. How often do you go out on yours? Im out quite alot so 3 months would be alot to clean off.

The past 2 times ive done it after each ride out which was around 70-80miles. Its currently protected with Vics concours and the Sonax sealant from the waxybox.

Cheers JD i'll give RDS a go ive currently got some from when it was on offer at Asda. If it strips it back at least can i give it good going over a apply the C2v3 ive got.

Last edited:
Deinitely won't strip it, pal. Had C2V3 on for a few months, with monthly RDS spray downs (undiluted) and then jet washed. Beading as tight as when I first applied it.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Jay, typically every weekend for anything between 30 and 70/80miles, and if I have the time and good weather a little blast mid week.

Through the summer the roads I used I was getting splatter from 15mph onwards so washing after every ride was pointless, as knowing it's well protected it would wash off after a couple of months. I guess it depends how eager you are to wash it, as for example I won't wash the car for 2 maybe 3 weeks and that's covering considerably more miles a week than the bike.

Depends also on the bike IMO, as the SV only has a nose fairing so anything lower is exposed, and I can't be dealing with washing the rad, oil cooler, headers, finned block after every ride, would take too long.

Will wait till I can strip it all down then seal properly with C1 and or EXO dependant on which part.

Yeah Dave i usually just give the nose fairing and screen a wipe down before a big ride. I just like to look nice when i pull up at places incase i get to a nice spot for a pic. I do the side fairings ever now and again as they dont tend to get to dirty.

If im just doing a small ride i dont usually bother.

Any QD's i can use to enhance the looks whislt also getting ride of them?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Anyone used any of the new decontamination blocks / pads / sheets / mitts that are coming out? I think Ant was using one IIRC.

Putting it simply, I hate using clay despite it being one of the most useful parts of a detail. This has caught my eye.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=315088

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKzEz7z7MVo&feature=youtu.be

Despite being expensive, if using the fine grade with a wash solution after tar and iron removers it would hugely speed up a quick de-con and seal routine. But I'm still dubious of marring.

Need more input

Golf GT & A4 Avant
was just looking at the Carpro offerings as they're quite a bit cheaper, but they seem to say they are comparable to a more stronger / harsh clay rather than fine. I don't want to have to polish after using it to remove marring.

I typically use a fine grade clay after tar and iron removers and 95% of the time have no marring as there is very little picked up.

Someone has, Dave - they raved about it, either on here or DW.

edit - in response to above, they had the same findings (i.e. having to polish afterwards as was inflicting more marks than a fine clay).

edit of an edit - was it Andy aka Chappppppppppppppppppers?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Bloody weather It holds out long enough that I think I'll be able to get the G1 on my glass and as soon as I get sorted it starts to rain again..... This house needs a double garage :(

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
big improvement did you do the mirrors and door trims? did it work as well on them?
been told g4 sometimes dont work very well on renault plastics.