ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Golf GT & A4 Avant
its already been said that clay like that shows a poor wash and decon prep in the thread.

But it looks cool and shows how much cr@p you get off the panel if you can show clay like that so its worth messing up the paintwork!

Slight change of plan for my winter prep, received some samples of Black Magic Details Helios and Genesis waxes.

Used them both tonight on the golf on bare prepped paint and were very nice to use, Helios reminded me an awful lot of vics Concours, with Genesis like AF Passion. Will get a 2nd coat on in the next couple of days as I was in a bit of a rush tonight, but will also try them over a glaze on the focus to compare durability this weekend

Are these wax worth trying as BMD is only 2 minutes from my house and I fancy a different wax next year instead of AF temptation l

Golf GT & A4 Avant
they were both very nice, easy to use and removal. Didn't look bad on silver either, but hoping to see the full affect on a deeper colour next use. Initial beading and sheeting seems very good but will tell there performance after a couple of washes.

Maybe pick up a couple of 50ml samples as I think they are £89 for a full pot, and a wax has to be pretty special for me to want to pay that

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You need a reputation to charge that much imo. Not one fellow member who's working for you.

Can't say they've intrigued me that much for some reason.

I've seen Steve's work and it's really good but I'm no hardcore detailer, £89 for mine seems a bit much will need to do more reading up on waxes then as I only go my car my dads and a couple of mates if they ask me

Golf GT & A4 Avant
everything about it reminds me of Vics concours.

Keen to see if it comes close to its claimed durability.

I can see the samples selling well as it's more a price people will be willing to pay to try a new wax.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
One was an un-named new one and one was origins. I literally have no idea where they sit in the range,

The un-named one was a show wax I believe.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
2 versions of Serius is the show wax I believe. They are all the same price, so I just chose them on longest durability as it's a big factor for me.

Ant, planning on keeping the hydro for topping up over winter. Been lazy lately and not done anything I planned. Was hoping to get at least one car corrected and nano coated before winter but just hasn't happened

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Great top up product. Imo that's how it should be marketed.

Also ironically Dave, I think Definitive have a nicer range the BMD, although a chequered past, the range and post are very very nice. If it hadn't gone pear shaped, deservedly, they could have become a household name like Zymol in years to come.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It is perfect for winter tbf. I have list of detailing tasks to sort before winter properly kicks. I bet none of them get done :(

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I tried a couple of the definitive waxes, 89 and synthetic editions. They were nice to use again, very well presented but aimed too much at the higher end of the market. They had a very quick following of fans that quickly burst when they reacted so badly at another claim of re branding. Everyone should by know now it happens and not be so offended by it.

IMO, Zymol carbon is still the perfect blend of performance, feel and price.

My plans before winter were to correct and seal at least one of the two cars,
touch up and wet sand a few spot areas on the wives car, not happened
seal all the glass which I've done both cars with Carpro flyby30
complete interior details but only managed one car so far.
machine polish my sisters car after her latest accident which has left scuffs all down one side.
Fully decon and EXO my motorbike but I'm hardly riding it so it wont get sealed.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
The post above has reminded me actually. My girlfriend just bought a 1 Series Coupe. Now, it doesn't have a rear wiper, and thats the only part of the car she dis-likes. Would something like flyby or rainx be of use there?

I had flyby on my front windscreen, hated it as made my wipers judder, so have never put any thought/research into things like it before.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
They typically judder when the residue hasn't been fully removed. A wipe down with ipa or a good glass cleaner will help.

It will help keep the rear screen cleaner, with just raining helping to wash off what's left. Worth a try if you already have it.

I'm not about this Saturday Ry so won't be at the meet.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
They typically judder when the residue hasn't been fully removed. A wipe down with ipa or a good glass cleaner will help.

It will help keep the rear screen cleaner, with just raining helping to wash off what's left. Worth a try if you already have it.

I'm not about this Saturday Ry so won't be at the meet.

May invest in some then, give it another go. And no worries, let me know when you're about :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
2 things, I have a new found love for waxing! It's when you use a lovely lively wax, it drags you in. I think Celeste and Vics put me off for a bit.

Might even consider a new pot of Shield or something!

Anyway, not including the 10 in the washing machine... Work cloths... :eek:

4usyzume.jpg

172 Cup,Gtr,gttdi
2 things, I have a new found love for waxing! It's when you use a lovely lively wax, it drags you in. I think Celeste and Vics put me off for a bit.

Might even consider a new pot of Shield or something!

Anyway, not including the 10 in the washing machine... Work cloths... :eek:

4usyzume.jpg

Do you organise your cloths?

Like keeping glass ones together, before during and after washing?

Or is that me being anal..... Lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Of course. These are just "dirty work" cloths for doing dirty tasks that doesn't involve paintwork.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I've bought a new car with a leather steering wheel, the wheel clearly has never been cleaned and whilst is in very good condition it's also very shiny!

Ive be never dealt with leather before so I was wondering what is the best cleaning product for leather?

I've bought a new car with a leather steering wheel, the wheel clearly has never been cleaned and whilst is in very good condition it's also very shiny!

Ive be never dealt with leather before so I was wondering what is the best cleaning product for leather?

I like the Gliptone twins, personally;

http://www.liquidleather.com/car-shop.html

You just need the orange cleaner, gentle brush, damp MF before and after, your bucket of clean water will soon look dirty. Watch a couple of videos if you're unsure.

172 Cup,Gtr,gttdi
Oblitarate, do any of you apply this from a lint free pad or cotton wool pads?

Also do you apply to a dry or wet car ( as instructions just say clean )?

Thanks

Golf GT & A4 Avant
depends how bad the tar is. if it is really bad spray on to a dry car, leave to dwell, then spray more onto a microfibre aplpicator and wipe the panel down then rinse.

if it's not to bad, then leave the car wet after washing, spray on, leave to dwell and typically this may be enough to dissolve, if not use an applicator as above.

using on a dry car it is stronger. on a wet car it will dilute it a little so it isn't quite as affective.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'd never use Tardis on a dry car, dries way too quickly for me. I do spray it on the whole car though usually.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You can use a tar remover on dry paint. You just need the common sense not to let it dry, or read the instructions where it tells you not to let it dry.

If you want to use it on dry paint for bad areas. do a panel at a time and only move on when it's fully removed.

172 Cup,Gtr,gttdi
You can use a tar remover on dry paint. You just need the common sense not to let it dry, or read the instructions where it tells you not to let it dry.

If you want to use it on dry paint for bad areas. do a panel at a time and only move on when it's fully removed.

Cheers all...
Can you also use dragons breath on the paint work, ie arches?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

I agree with you Dave, it's the whole having to dry the car off to do it. This is where most numptys damage paint so I don't think it's necessary.