ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You really need a compressor aswell to get them cleaned up properly. Hex offer easier working and just change pad and polish to suit. :)

Arctic 182
Just wondering if anyone can recommend me a good DAS 6 kit? Unsure on Menzerna, Meg's etc. I've searched & researched but so many answers! Looking on i4d, CYC & Elite at the moment. I'm after one to use on my cup at first, to get rid of swirls (nothing really heavy) & then to apply polish as part of detailing. It will be used on other cars once I've practiced. Let's say £150 max. Cheers.

Edit: Found this recommended on DW, bit more than I want to spend but looks like it's everything I need. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...as-6-pro-sonus-and-menzerna-kit/prod_677.html

Last edited:
  Clio MK3
If I went and bought some APC from the supermarket, would I be able to use it on the car such as door seals, arches etc. Just wondering if it will cause any damage to the paintwork as I have seen people using it before?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
If I went and bought some APC from the supermarket, would I be able to use it on the car such as door seals, arches etc. Just wondering if it will cause any damage to the paintwork as I have seen people using it before?

Do to think it would cause any damage. It's just concentrated washing up liquid isn't it?

Why not just but 5 litres of valet pro citrus pre wash. That can be diluted to different strengths for different jobs.

It will be perfectly fine. I've been using supermarket apc diluted 10:1 for years and it works very well indeed.

The one I use costs about £1 for 1 litre so its very cheap. It amazes me when people buy branded detailing apc which I think is exactly the same as the supermarket stuff.

Edit: I use valet pro citrus as a pre wash in a pressure sprayer and it works very well but for door shuts, fuel filler cap etc diluted supermarket apc works great.

Last edited:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
It'll be fine as far as I'm aware, Been using Tesco Daisy for ages but have just run out so 'might' switch to G101 or Verso just cos it seems more professional :eek:

Clio MK3
Do to think it would cause any damage. It's just concentrated washing up liquid isn't it?

Why not just but 5 litres of valet pro citrus pre wash. That can be diluted to different strengths for different jobs.

Yeah that is what I thought it was too, nothing too strong. Seems like a good idea, but I only want to spend a couple of £'s max as it not a necessity atm, just thought it would be nice to have something for the job :)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
It will be perfectly fine. I've been using supermarket apc diluted 10:1 for years and it works very well indeed.

The one I use costs about £1 for 1 litre so its very cheap. It amazes me when people buy branded detailing apc which I think is exactly the same as the supermarket stuff.

Valet pro is £18.95 for 5 litres which you dilute 1:10

Valet pro is £18.95 for 5 litres which you dilute 1:10

Edited my post just after you quoted it ;)

I do use citrus pre wash in a pressure sprayer and it's brilliant but for door shuts etc apc works very well and is so cheap I'd rather save my valet pro citrus just for pre washing

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Edited my post just after you quoted it ;)

I do use citrus pre wash in a pressure sprayer and it's brilliant but for door shuts etc apc works very well and is so cheap I'd rather save my valet pro citrus just for pre washing

Yeah a good point. I might get Daisy round to sort out my dirty bits :)

Eurow mfs from Costco. Good value for money and work well.

I think they are about £15 for 36 so they are defiantly worth a try and they are good quality as they are made by Eurow.

172 cup
what is the best place to buy them from? I'm worried about buying crap ones :S

Edit: i don't have a costco card i will have to ask around

ta

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What's a good alternative to clay ? IronX?

Iron x removes iron fallout, Tardis will remove tar spots and organic fallout such as tree sap and aphid dew. If you use both of these when ypu strip back any protection before re waxes then on a well maintained car you can get away with a light clay once a year and hopefully it won't lift off too much grime.

But it comes a time when clay is needed as physical contact is required to shift the dirt

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
We've got one in work, think one of lads got it off the autosmart rep. How good it is in comparison to a clay bar, I don't know. But I found it excellent on my car. Sub £20 from memory.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It is actually quite good. Needs proper lube and very light pressure. I'll have another play this weekend but i'm impressed so far.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Any suggestions for something to removing the caked on dirt in the arches/underneath.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Clay mits are a huge time saver! but as Kev has said loads of lube and light pressure as they are increasingly more likely to cause damage than traditional clay.

LY Megane R26
Just for given 500ml of Taris from a friend. What's the mix rate with water? 50/50?
Also how's it best to apply, just spray on, leave and jet wash off? Iv only ever used AG tar remover on a cloth.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Do not dilute... Use neat.

Spray on and watch it work, Do not let it dry, If you have stubborn marks spray onto a MF and lightly agitate to remove.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Megs endurance is always popular but I personally don't like the finish.

I like GTechniq t1, Af satin. Carpro Perl can be used on plastic and tyres so is pretty versatile. Think Ant uses it in some of his details

Clio MK3
Will autofinesse tripple be fine to be applied straight onto the car after a clean to give it a shine? Also how long will this last without any protection?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Yes and I've seen 2months of proper protection on some panels. Lower doors and rear bumper 4 weeks maybe.

If you can stretch your budget and spend the time to do a little prep first time round, use Tripple as a base to set the finish, then top with a spray sealant for ease of use you will get considerable extra protection and that finish will maintain as long as your sealant is still protecting

Clio MK3
Yes and I've seen 2months of proper protection on some panels. Lower doors and rear bumper 4 weeks maybe.

If you can stretch your budget and spend the time to do a little prep first time round, use Tripple as a base to set the finish, then top with a spray sealant for ease of use you will get considerable extra protection and that finish will maintain as long as your sealant is still protecting

Okay thanks for the reply, what sealant would be best, tough coat? Might as well make it worth while I guess!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Tough coat is simple and easy to use regardless of beginner or well trained user, and works well on most base products and colours.

The likes of carpro reload and GTechniq C2 can sometimes last longer but ideally need a cleaner base to work on so not too much advantage of going to these.

LY Megane R26
Washed and decontaminated my car yesterday with the intention to wax it.

Pressure washed, snow foamed, washed 2BM, iron X'd, de-tar, clay, dried etc etc.
Then applied AF Tripple, buffed off etc, went to wax it but my AG HD wax had kind of gone funny in the pot, there wasn't a lot left anyway and I think the winter had got to it from when it had been in my boot.

It wouldn't apply nicely to the body, kind of lumpy and hard and very hard work to spread across the body, so I gave up on that idea before I got to far ahead and found it wouldn't buff off!
What I did manage to apply (very hard work) did buff off ok, mostly just the bonnet.
That's now in the bin, as I said there wasn't a lot left anyway.

Now what would you do?
I was planning on trying not to use the car this week, maybe short trips here and there, wash it again come the weekend and apply
some wax I can borrow off some friends?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Borrow some wax then cleanse the car again before reapplying. Or at least the areas you applied the dud wax.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Anyone just listen to the guest on radio 2?

Apparently they've developed a complete hydrophobic paint which completely stops a car ever getting dirty and will last the life time of a car. b****cks.