ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
As above, the company is eurow, not too badly priced tbh.

What's every ones favourite shampoo?

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
As above, the company is eurow, not too badly priced tbh.

The lot I got last weekend were Kirkland ones. Standard mf on one side and deep mf on the other, bit like some of the drying towels but not that deep lol

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
I started correcting my mx5 today...

14458855883_36fb5d4718_z.jpg

IMG_3772 by theycallmepaul, on Flickr

14252227817_0704b34bfd_z.jpg

IMG_3777 by theycallmepaul, on Flickr

14437541364_44574e9285_z.jpg

IMG_3783
by theycallmepaul, on Flickr

Bonnet and headlight covers done this evening, will be starting the wings/ doors tomorrow after work :)

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
That's a brilliant transformation. I imagine that was very rewarding!

What's pads and polishes did you use?

Thanks. :) that was mezerna 2500/3000 on an orange lake county pad, which is now ruined by the looks of it! Then tripple and toughcoat on top.

Very happy with the outcome though.

on a side note anyone thinking about upgrading a das6 to the pro version get it done, very impressed with the machine

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
on a side note anyone thinking about upgrading a das6 to the pro version get it done, very impressed with the machine

Even more reason to do so with the DW discount too.

Great outcome from your work!! Very impressive result. How quickly could you see the result of each step?

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Even more reason to do so with the DW discount too.

Great outcome from your work!! Very impressive result. How quickly could you see the result of each step?

Many thanks, I used the code too, I can't see there being many Da's out there for sub £100 that could compete to be honest.

in terms of seeing the transformation after 2-3 passes it was quite clear it was working so it was just a case of finishing off the cutting passes (4-5 I think it was) then refine it down with the 3000, I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest comes up now.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
So, my second most hated colour of cars. White.

My preference would be Tripple and Tough Coat for a glossy yet durable finish. Anyone have a better combo? I want it looking wet, and to stay like that for a bit.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Mate of mine has spots of creosote over his car. He's taken it to the usual 'car wash' place who says they'd get irbid but it's still on there. He's asked me how to get it off. I'm thinking decontamination with an iron x type product, tar x and then claying?

Reckon that would shift it all?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Mate of mine has spots of creosote over his car. He's taken it to the usual 'car wash' place who says they'd get irbid but it's still on there. He's asked me how to get it off. I'm thinking decontamination with an iron x type product, tar x and then claying?

Reckon that would shift it all?

Try tar remover, creosote is loosely related to tar iirc.
Isn't it banned in the uk now?

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
So, my second most hated colour of cars. White.

My preference would be Tripple and Tough Coat for a glossy yet durable finish. Anyone have a better combo? I want it looking wet, and to stay like that for a bit.

I used this combo to finish off a white A5 recently and it looked great afterwards, I personally love the two together on lighter cars.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Ryan, tripple and toughcoat is a simple winning combo on all light colours. Although I had good results with menz powerlock. Similar to Z2, doesn't last quite as long but looked and felt better. I can lend you my sample bottle if you like.

Have you considered the likes of reload or C2 over a filler heavy base like tripple?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Just got a Das-6 Pro with AF kit from a member off here. Gonna be needing some advice.

Is the AF kit good? How do I go about cleaning pads after use? Should I look at getting some new pads, if so which ones?

Thanks.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Just got a Das-6 Pro with AF kit from a member off here. Gonna be needing some advice.

Is the AF kit good? How do I go about cleaning pads after use? Should I look at getting some new pads, if so which ones?

Thanks.

From my experience with #2 polish and pad the other day I'm impressed. Didn't need #3 surprisingly. It's very, very dusty when used outside in the sun though.

I washed mine with warm water and left to air dry after being advised to do so by AF at FCS.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
From my experience with #2 polish and pad the other day I'm impressed. Didn't need #3 surprisingly. It's very, very dusty when used outside in the sun though.

I washed mine with warm water and left to air dry after being advised to do so by AF at FCS.

Cleaning has been neglected by me for some time, so I need to do a full job, I've used Iron X, Bilt Hamber soft clay, etc, so I'll be sticking to that stuff for the decontamination, it's just the polishing and finishing, even more so now using a DA that I have no experience with.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Cleaning has been neglected by me for some time, so I need to do a full job, I've used Iron X, Bilt Hamber soft clay, etc, so I'll be sticking to that stuff for the decontamination, it's just the polishing and finishing, even more so now using a DA that I have no experience with.

Use some tar remover in between ironx and clay. It'll make the clay inflict less marring and make polishing/finishing easier.

what DA is it? My £5 wonder (unbranded megs g220) has a sort of clutch that kicks in if you apply too much pressure so it stops spinning.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Used my DAS6 for the first time today. Thought I'd practise on my ladies fiesta as it wouldn't matter if I balls'd it up.
Apart from getting bored halfway through, I was quite impressed with the results. Anyone on here used menz FG400? I was literally amazed with it. I wet sanded a scratch out using 1500, and the FG400 mixed with a white hexlogic removed the marks within a few passes.

Finished it off with some SF4000 on a bluepad, then black hole and C2.

Maybe one day I'll have the patience to do a whole car :(

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
FG 400 is great. Always finish work something lighter though

Is SF4000 on a blue pad ok to follow it? To my untrained eye it looked mint straight after the 400.

Gonna take a while to perfect the technique before I attempt to do my dads A3

Renault Clio 182 BG
I know this has most likely been asked before but trim gel? My front grill is looking rather grey. I bought some Chemical Guys trim gel a while back, applied it thinly just to test and as soon as it rained it ran down the car :(

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I know this has most likely been asked before but trim gel? My front grill is looking rather grey. I bought some Chemical Guys trim gel a while back, applied it thinly just to test and as soon as it rained it ran down the car :(

Auto finesse revive is decent from my experience.

Turtle wax tyre and trim gel smells awesome. I buy it just for that tbh

Mk3 P1 dymanique 16v
I use chem guys trim gel and its better if u buff off and apply 2nd time then buff lightly but yes if it rains not long after u apply it can run i just QD it off then happy days!!!

Not a 320d
Is BOS really that expensive now???

Got my pot for about £120 when the VAT was down at 15%, Would I f**k pay that for BOS.

Mini JCW
So, first time I've used the Meguairs Microfibre DA system.....only used the cutting pads and compound so far. Wholr it's achieved I'd say around 70% correction - it's also inficted awful hologram / marring streaks over all the paint? :(

Only used in the shade first thing before temps rise - pads were fully primed then spurred after each pass?

Hoping the LC tangerine pads and Megs 205 will rid the defects :(

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
So, first time I've used the Meguairs Microfibre DA system.....only used the cutting pads and compound so far. Wholr it's achieved I'd say around 70% correction - it's also inficted awful hologram / marring streaks over all the paint? :(

Only used in the shade first thing before temps rise - pads were fully primed then spurred after each pass?

Hoping the LC tangerine pads and Megs 205 will rid the defects :(

it sounds like you've not cut your own marring out, read the stickies at the top of this section.

when you cut the original defects out by working up to a speed, you inflict your own marring, which is the holograms... Come back down to a lower speed to cut these out.

Mini JCW
it sounds like you've not cut your own marring out, read the stickies at the top of this section.

when you cut the original defects out by working up to a speed, you inflict your own marring, which is the holograms... Come back down to a lower speed to cut these out.

I'll give it a go - however, reading on Meguiars own site and also Polished Bliss, you don't work the same with as with foam pads - speed 1 to spread paint then straight up to speed 4 / 5 for a few passes - done.

Never had this problem before on my previous black cars!

Mini JCW
Sounds like a lack of proper MF cleaning also.

I ensure they're spurred well after each pass as per recommendations. Once 2 panels are completed they're washed well and dried, ready for the next use. Always ensure they're primed, and always ensure just a couple of dots of polish on each working area - which is kept small at 18x18" roughly.

Confused tbh.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Is there such a thing as a portable polisher? I want one but there is no mains point where I clean my car.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'll give it a go - however, reading on Meguiars own site and also Polished Bliss, you don't work the same with as with foam pads - speed 1 to spread paint then straight up to speed 4 / 5 for a few passes - done.

Never had this problem before on my previous black cars!

So you're working the polish up to speed 5 then when finished just switching it off? You're not working the speeds back down at all? If not then try this as the less pressure and slower speeds might improve the finish a little, but when using heavy cutting pads and compounds you've got to expect it to leave it's own damage, that's why you follow up a cutting polish with a finishing polish to remove the marks you have inflicted.

I only brifly tried the MF system but didn't like all the hassle of proper spurring compared to foam pads so never tried them anymore.