ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Clio Sport 172
Guys I'm after a decent, affordable wax but it's been some time since I've been into detailing cars (going back 5 years to when I had my 106 GTi), so I'm a bit out of the loop with what's good.

Any recommendations?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I know I seem to keep repeating myself but HD wax is probably perfect. Durable and great looks too if you use a glaze before applying it.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
HD is a great alrounder but not overly that nice to use sometimes. Maybe some of the nattys waxes might be an option, very cheap, easy to use and look pretty good, but don't last all that long. or one of the Victoria waxes such as concours or collectors 3oz pots. Or a nice easy spray sealant like GTechniq C2, Carpro Reload or Autofinesse toughcoat.

BenGmin

I'd also recommend going down the spray sealant route as Dave suggested.

Sonax bsd
Carpro reload
Gtechniq c2v3

All three are very good but I'd say get sonax bsd just because it's a strong performer and at £13 for 750ml it's a bargain and will last a very long time.

I agree Dave. You won't see months and months of protection from it but for me it's so easy, cheap and fast to apply I'd happily use it every few weeks or once a month.

I've even used bsd as a drying aid and the water behaviour returned and lasted.

A while ago I did half my bonnet with c2v3 and the other half with bsd and after two months there was no difference between the two so I just reapplied bsd to the whole car.

C2v3 defiantly makes the panel feel slicker but there's no way you'd get the durability gtechniq claim from it.

Maybe something like polymer net shield will offer more protection and resist contaminants.

Good choice Ben. It's a great product.

Not really anywhere in particular however if your just ordering sonax bsd I'd buy it from amazon because it's free postage.

If you wanna order lots of different things clean your car has a good selection including the sonax range.

Clio Sport 172
Good choice Ben. It's a great product.

Not really anywhere in particular however if your just ordering sonax bsd I'd buy it from amazon because it's free postage.

If you wanna order lots of different things clean your car has a good selection including the sonax range.

Need to order up a few things so will go to clean your car, thanks again mate

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Right chaps engine bays....how on earth do I tackle this:

14426739491_41272ac77e_z.jpg

IMG_3758 by theycallmepaul, on Flickr

I have never had to do an engine bay that is so dusty before (it's 10x worse in person), I'm assuming degreaser on the block and G101 on the tubes etc maybe? rinse off with the pressure washer on the 'rain' setting.

As stated I have never attempted this before so I will gladly take on any advice and if the idea above is just plain stupid please tell me so.

Thanks in advance.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Paul.M I still don't like the idea of any hose or washer on the engine bay. Use some old MF that can go in the bin afterwards, soak them in warm G101 and start wiping it down once rung out.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Both mate, used it via rotary on a 3m yellow to great effect. Russ pioneered that s**t.

These days I prefer it via DA with a white hex, so much dirt pulling power and a touch of EZ creme or similar for slickness and filling if you need it, even amigo but that has less bite so best on it own via DA.

I like my mixes. :eek:

Colour is the Mazda mate?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Right chaps engine bays....how on earth do I tackle this:

14426739491_41272ac77e_z.jpg

IMG_3758 by theycallmepaul, on Flickr

I have never had to do an engine bay that is so dusty before (it's 10x worse in person), I'm assuming degreaser on the block and G101 on the tubes etc maybe? rinse off with the pressure washer on the 'rain' setting.

As stated I have never attempted this before so I will gladly take on any advice and if the idea above is just plain stupid please tell me so.

Thanks in advance.

Spray the whole engine bay with degreaser/ G101 or whatever your choice is. Pressure wash it all off.

Just don't aim the water at the spark plugs, ecu etc.

You'll be fine.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Both mate, used it via rotary on a 3m yellow to great effect. Russ pioneered that s**t.

These days I prefer it via DA with a white hex, so much dirt pulling power and a touch of EZ creme or similar for slickness and filling if you need it, even amigo but that has less bite so best on it own via DA.

I like my mixes. :eek:

Colour is the Mazda mate?
Flat red, not sure on the name of the colour. Ha, think I sent you my EZ creme. I have Amigo though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just go with LP mate, has nice filling and bite at the same time, I just like wasting products! :eek:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Spray the whole engine bay with degreaser/ G101 or whatever your choice is. Pressure wash it all off.

Just don't aim the water at the spark plugs, ecu etc.

You'll be fine.

Dan did you have an amazing gunk/grease remover? I could have sworn you mentioned it before. I'm finding g101 weak again proper greasy stuff, white grease etc. Like a gunk remover.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Dan did you have an amazing gunk/grease remover? I could have sworn you mentioned it before. I'm finding g101 weak again proper greasy stuff, white grease etc. Like a gunk remover.

Yes mate, it's superb!

It's by Trafalgar and called multi purpose detergent.

I use power max TFR mostly (Autoglym) but for white grease, and cv grease, I use the Trafalgar stuff. It dilutes really well too.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I need to try some. G101 even neat wasn't touching some of the grease I see!

Do you still use a brush to agitate? Available online?

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the help as usual guys, that's my job when I get some spare time this weekend.

I'm quite enjoying being able to give it all a proper deep clean, it's turning around quite nicely so far.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I need to try some. G101 even neat wasn't touching some of the grease I see!

Do you still use a brush to agitate? Available online?

You can agitate it to speed things up, but I usually soak the area, go ahead and wash all the wheels, arches etc, then just pressure wash it off 30 minutes after applying it.

This is the stuff.

myhe5a2e.jpg

Mini JCW
So you're working the polish up to speed 5 then when finished just switching it off? You're not working the speeds back down at all? If not then try this as the less pressure and slower speeds might improve the finish a little, but when using heavy cutting pads and compounds you've got to expect it to leave it's own damage, that's why you follow up a cutting polish with a finishing polish to remove the marks you have inflicted.

I only brifly tried the MF system but didn't like all the hassle of proper spurring compared to foam pads so never tried them anymore.

Is a simple refining issue then.

Cheers for the replies. Followed up this morning with LC tangerine pad / Megs 205 / DAS6 PRO - waiting for the sun to hit the panels before I judge - not bad though (bar the typical BMW orange peel effect) :

10430398_10152177702472006_2245039352631594706_n.jpg

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Did my first white car on Sunday with the Da, brother turned up with his new runabout...a £250 focus with the dullest paint I've seen and it looked like a cheap respray job (overspray everywhere). Before and after doesn't do it justice but he was shocked how it came up.

PhotoGrid_1403462255457_zpsnyp6ht4i.jpg

FF Racing Blue 182
Guys I'm after a decent, affordable wax but it's been some time since I've been into detailing cars (going back 5 years to when I had my 106 GTi), so I'm a bit out of the loop with what's good.

Any recommendations?

I would suggest tough coat, its worth the money or something like purple haze, cheap and cheerful.