ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Renault 5 GT Turbo
112k mile RS4 after an Auto Finesse winter protection :)

20161023_121642_zpseanugnap.jpg

Been looking after this nice Datsun for a year now.
Some Auto Finesse protection for winter.

IMG_20161025_082954_zpsycvantx2.jpg
IMG_20161025_082438_zpsw0guve8n.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Guys, I've got some Hydro2 lite, and also some wax with Ron kindly donated. Is it a case of one or the other, as I've read online that Hydro2 should be used onto a wax free surface. Cheers.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
@Davyy It'll last longer on a bare surface, but I'd personally apply the wax initially, and when beading drops off use the hydr02 with the next wash to keep it well protected.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm a huge fan of hydro2 but I've always used it on its own, however I'm currently looking to get some black hole, is hydro2 going to go over it well or will it ruin the black hole/not bond to the paintwork?

Grier

ClioSport Club Member
  A clio...
I'm a huge fan of hydro2 but I've always used it on its own, however I'm currently looking to get some black hole, is hydro2 going to go over it well or will it ruin the black hole/not bond to the paintwork?

Have you tried 50 cal filler glaze? I've just used this and compared to black hole it's no contest mate, can't offer advice on hydro though

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I agree actually. Hydro will sit just fine, it maybe won't last just as long.

You can also spray the hydro on a damp or dry car mate and like a spray sealant.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
What's Hydro like for durability?

I got some Collinite 845 that I was planning on using to protect my 182 over the winter but I've not had much time recently to use it and it's far too cold now to be spending hours outside giving it a proper
going over. Wouldn't mind giving Hydro a go over the winter so at least it's got some protection on it.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'd probably go for the Lite version with it being ready to use as it'll be easier than getting distilled water and mixing the normal version.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
@Davyy you use 1/4 to 1/3 of the 1 litre bottle of hydr02 lite in one application on a Clio? If so you're massively over applying product therefore wasting it

I've used gyeon wetcoat a lot which is the same type of product. I use it as a top up product to maintain the cars through winter over the top of a normal wax or sealant. Applying to either our A4 estate or golf hatchback I'll typically use 75ml to cover the whole car before pressure rinsing off.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Think of it this way, when rinsing off the pressure of the water will help push or spread the product around the panel.

If you applied it only to the bonnet, when rinsing that water will spread over the windscreen, wings and bumper and they will also become hydrophobic where the product has been rinsed over them.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Finally getting time to detail my own car! Anybody here using paint protection film?

View attachment 168770

Me. What do you want to know? Also 200 looks well

Think of it this way, when rinsing off the pressure of the water will help push or spread the product around the panel.

If you applied it only to the bonnet, when rinsing that water will spread over the windscreen, wings and bumper and they will also become hydrophobic where the product has been rinsed over them.

I'll be interested to see how difficult a thick layer of Wet Coat is to remove (several months of general washing and not being exposed to the elements). Car is in for paint, and I've warned them that there is a semi-ish permanent sealant coated. They knew straight away anyway TBH as it's slippery as a newt.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Im wondering where you might have got the patterns?! Or did you work from bulk?
There weren't any stencils for my Evo so I had a local company make and fit them to the front of the car, and boot lid / Roof. Wasn't cheap, though. XPEL Dealer.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Im wondering where you might have got the patterns?! Or did you work from bulk?

There is a database of templates which profession installers can access through XPEL software. Then there is a hefty bit of kit for cutting the film to template (if there is one available).

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Me. What do you want to know? Also 200 looks well

I'll be interested to see how difficult a thick layer of Wet Coat is to remove (several months of general washing and not being exposed to the elements). Car is in for paint, and I've warned them that there is a semi-ish permanent sealant coated. They knew straight away anyway TBH as it's slippery as a newt.

The way it's applied and removed it shouldn't really be possible to provide a thick layer. Although multiple applications will create quite a strong coating and I've seen Wet coat shrug off and still bead and sheet after a strong wash with carpro reset, then decontaminated with tarX and ironX.

A friend had a set of wheels dipped to strip off previous paint and refurbed. I'd coated them previously with carpro DLUX 8 months before. It took them twice as long to strip off previous paint compared to unprotected wheels.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Wicked Wheels who are normally very good did a really s**t job on a blow over for me that had C1 applied.

I did stress to the bodyshop the car will need to be prepped properly.

Not that one should have to but best to cover my back

RS 200 cup
There is a database of templates which profession installers can access through XPEL software. Then there is a hefty bit of kit for cutting the film to template (if there is one available).

I have access to Xpel DAP and others! No patterns are available for the 200 though..
Design time it is!

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
I love Xpel. I was going to get the whole car covered in it, but as i'm not applying it myself it's farking ridiculous prices as there aren't any stencils. Scrapped that idea off. flat surfaces like the bonnet and roof it's a god send for washing. And obviously front end for stone chips.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
How long does solution finish last for?

My front grill desperately needs doing and contemplating just buying a new one but will give solution finish a go if it's going to last 6+ months.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
How long does solution finish last for?

My front grill desperately needs doing and contemplating just buying a new one but will give solution finish a go if it's going to last 6+ months.

Mine still looks pretty good after a few months. New they are grey so the solution would be to get them painted black properly ass solution finish is just a dye, ish.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Mine still looks pretty good after a few months. New they are grey so the solution would be to get them painted black properly ass solution finish is just a dye, ish.

What size bottle did you get? Don't think I could bring myself to do the lower grille mind you.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The small bottle, lasts for ever. Didn't touch the bottom grill as it looks fine and couldn't be assed doing it

330i. E30 Touring.
Is it as simple as it looks to apply Hydro?

Spray it on while the car's still wet, then pressure wash off. Then don't have to dry the car?

If so, why is this not the most popular product on the planet?!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

Spray it on while the car's still wet, then pressure wash off. Then don't have to dry the car?

That's pretty much it.

RB Clio 182
£60ish. Mines the same, it's so grey, really make the front end look crap, @Christ Almighty has got a new grille on his and it looks great.

But then would getting a new upper grille make the lower one look crap as well.
Hi mate, i have a new top grill but they are still grey although a bit darker, the bottom grill is black plastic and goes black with some trim restorer, so even new the top and bottom grill are different types of plastic and different shades.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

It's exactly that. You need to do a panel or two at a time and make sure you don't leave it sat an a panel for more than a minute at most. Also don't put it on in direct sun.

It's brilliant. Just make sure you wash it all off if you're not bothering drying it

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin

Don't put too much on. You don't need to cover every single inch of a panel. When you pressure washer it, it will spread it around.

Hydro2 lite is awesome.