ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference in time between OSX and Windows re-installs

Rav4
Re-installing lion
1) Boot up into MAC OSX Utilities
2) Format the drive you are installing it on
3) Start lion installer, choose options.
4) Install updates, make sure all updates are done = 268mb
5) restart
6) Make sure all updates applied
7) Done

(some steps cut out, such as backups)

Simple and painless.

Re-installing Vista on HP

1) F11 on boot up
2) restore to factory settings
3) crashes half way through, stating it cannot find a file. (disk is not corrupt)
4) When booting up again BOOTMGR record missing
5) F11 isn't working
6) Vista recovery disk not working( not original ), cannot find c:, cannot fix BOOTMGR
7) System recovery not working
8) Kick laptop
9) Google like you have never googled before.
10) Give up
11) Tell friend to buy a mac

What a pain in the ass, still at it (fixing windows laptop). Fixing laptops for friends is ok, but a real pain if they don't have the original restore disks.

Waste of time

Nissan 350z
Why are you trying to reinstall Windows with a 3rd party recovery disk instead of just flattening and reinstalling the OS from scratch? So because you dont know what you are doing, your default response is "should have bought a MAC"?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Why are you trying to reinstall Windows with a 3rd party recovery disk instead of just flattening and reinstalling the OS from scratch? So because you dont know what you are doing, your default response is "should have bought a MAC"?

LOL, as above.

You are doing a fresh install of Lion, yet a repair/recovery of Vista.

There isn't even a comparison there it is just utter drivvel.

A direct comparison of fresh installs of both Lion and W7 will both result as 'Simple and Painless' IMO.

(Also, as per the title there is no difference in time mentioned in the OP....)

BMW M135i
I did hold you in higher regard than this :(. Ignoring the driver side of things, a fresh 7 install on a decent machine is what 15-20mins tops?

edit: Ouch Vista, why would you even consider reinstalling bloody vista.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
what a spazzy, i just installed a fresh install of Win7 ultimate on my Thinkpad and took me the best part of 15 minutes from booting the usb stick to being on the desktop ready to personalise! and thats a 5yr old machine although a pretty custom spec

Rav4

That's a bit harsh and not required.

It's a friends laptop and most consumer HP's don't come with the recovery disks (smart, as they make you pay for them) instead, it has the recovery partition which you normally utilise in this kind of scenario.

Cheeky s**t

Rav4
I did hold you in higher regard than this :(. Ignoring the driver side of things, a fresh 7 install on a decent machine is what 15-20mins tops?

edit: Ouch Vista, why would you even consider reinstalling bloody vista.

What do you mean ignoring the driver side of things?

The machine came with vista, the recovery partition is obviously going to be vista, rather do windows 7 but normal users don't have a clue if it's vista/7....... some people don't want to spend the extra.

It's not a descent machine.

Rav4
what a spazzy, i just installed a fresh install of Win7 ultimate on my Thinkpad and took me the best part of 15 minutes from booting the usb stick to being on the desktop ready to personalise! and thats a 5yr old machine although a pretty custom spec

Far from a spazzy. You are doing a clean install aren't you....... I was doing an install from the HP recovery partition so not quite the same, as they come full of rubbish.

I would have loved to do a normal install, but with no disks and no recovery partition, your kind of screwed.

Rav4
Anyway, for you cheeky sh1ts, most laptops don't come with the recovery disks anymore, as it costs them too much money!

If you try and return a machine to it's default settings via the recovery and that crashes, you're kinda screwed which is what happened.

I was simply demonstrating how on OSX it was a much simpler process (installing via the partition which Lion creates) which is quite similar in regards to what I was trying to achieve.

Adam, as usual, contributing pointless crap ;)

DCi
never touched a mac but from the sounds of this thread MAC OSX Utilities doesnt sound a million miles away from a restore partition.

Windows is an utter bag of toss

Installing new version of windows usually takes about 2hours and involved rebooting at least 4 times, then leaves you with a load of missing drivers. AND it costs you £200+

New version of OSX? Click it in the app-store, pay £20, let it download, watch it install for 20mins, done. Not even a reboot

I would rather hammer rusty nails through my scrotum than EVER go back to Windows as an OS

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Windows is an utter bag of toss

Installing new version of windows usually takes about 2hours and involved rebooting at least 4 times, then leaves you with a load of missing drivers. AND it costs you £200+

New version of OSX? Click it in the app-store, pay £20, let it download, watch it install for 20mins, done. Not even a reboot

I would rather hammer rusty nails through my scrotum than EVER go back to Windows as an OS

LOL completely invalid argument.

2 hours? On a Pentium Pro 150MHz machine perhaps..

You know why you have to install drivers on most Windows machines right?

Because there are 378643274623764 hardware combinations that someone could be running.

Unfortunately, and it is a shame this, but Microsoft hasn't seen fit to include each and every driver for all of the hardware components ever conceived. And to include every one of these drivers within the OS and still have it fit on one disc, and have a minimal footprint on the hard disk.

Where as OSX only runs on specific hardware, so Apple know what drivers to include in the OS.

Install OSX on a machine other than something Apple, and that is where you will struggle with the drivers.

Using driver installation as an argument that 'Windows is s**t' is ridiculous.

Last edited:
  Rav4
The thing I love about Windows is it's really easy for simpletons to get wrong.

If it was easier I wouldn't have a job.

Seems like you didn't read all of this properly, I will quote myself below ;)

but a real pain if they don't have the original restore disks.
Waste of time

Just to recap, it is easy if you have the disks! But if the machine comes with a restore partition, it messes up and you don't have the disks, it's ridiculous! Not paying x amount for disks, that's a joke!

Not a mac fanboi, I use Windows most of the time and prefer it to be honest (not the hardware, but Windows 7 is actually very good)

Rav4
LOL completely invalid argument.

2 hours? On a Pentium Pro 150MHz machine perhaps..

You know why you have to install drivers on most Windows machines right?

Because there are 378643274623764 hardware combinations that someone could be running.

Unfortunately, and it is a shame this, but Microsoft hasn't seen fit to include each and every driver for all of the hardware components ever conceived. And to include every one of these drivers within the OS and still have it fit on one disc, and have a minimal footprint on the hard disk.

Where as OSX only runs on specific hardware, so Apple know what drivers to include in the OS.

Install OSX on a machine other than something Apple, and that is where you will struggle with the drivers.

Using driver installation as an argument that 'Windows is s**t' is ridiculous.

Wise man. Very good answer

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Seems like you didn't read all of this properly, I will quote myself below ;)

Just to recap, it is easy if you have the disks! But if the machine comes with a restore partition, it messes up and you don't have the disks, it's ridiculous! Not paying x amount for disks, that's a joke!

Not a mac fanboi, I use Windows most of the time and prefer it to be honest (not the hardware, but Windows 7 is actually very good)

I don't think you read what I wrote at all. I said it's easy for people to get wrong.

If my statement was completely incorrect a lot of us in this thread wouldn't have jobs.

Nissan 350z

REALLY!? As a Mac user are you sure you want to go into the argument of cost and price? You just went full r****d.

@Gabi, just download a copy of Windows Vista, burn it and install fresh? Your using a genuine serial (it should be on a sticker under the laptop somewhere i imagine) so cant see it being an issue from a legal point as you wont be using the cracks/serials provided to bypass any Windows activiation etc. Once up and running head to HPs website and grab the drivers.