ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disabling ABS system

RB 182 Cup
Hi,

Bit of a wierd question but here goes...

I am in the process of building a Ph 1 172 tarmac rally car, and need to disable the ABS. The thought of ABS kicking in on ice, or on rough ground is scary enough, but I also plan on fitting a hydraulic handbrake, which will just confuse the hell out of the ABS ecu!

I presumed I could just remove the sensors, wiring, ABS pump, warning light and job done, but having searched on the forum, I saw that 1 person said the brake system is set to 50/50 front/rear. Is this correct? Doesn't sound right to me, as otherwise the ABS will be triggered pretty much all the time, but I will bow to superior knowledge! Don't really want the added expense of fitting the 172 Cup brake master cylinder.

Any one done this on their track / competition cars? Hollister? Hissingsid?Anyone else?

Cheers.

Volvo S60 T5
you will need to remove everything and blank off the abs light or it will fail the mot, also I would suggest fitting a brake load proportioning valve in the system or your rears will lock up all the time.
Master cylinder wont make any difference they do the same job, its the brake load valve that does that.

Lionel Richie
if you turn off the abs, but the leave the system in, it automatically defaults to a 50/50 all round setup, you must remove the pump and fit a bias valve, this is what i've done and its wicked!

182cup & 172 racecar
Fooking scarey or what!! But as Fred says bias valve is the way to go,do not just pull the fuse out or you will just get back brakes.

Thanks Jay for reminding me of that moment

Clio Sport Mk1
Hi,

Indeed 50/50 is very baaad ... 80/20 or 70/30 sounds much better. The straigth forward solution to disable ABS system is to unplug the rear-left sensor below your car easily accessible:

http://www.rs-team.org/entretien/entretien.php?p=135

But you can go further by totally disabling the abs, and making a small modification to avoid having the "serv" and "abs" lights on. If you can read French, you'll find below two very interesting threads talking about that ... :approve:

http://forums.rs-team.org/read.php?1,445273
http://forums.rs-team.org/read.php?1,438449

ps: I'm French so I hope that my English is not too bad for you ... :eek:

RB 182 Cup
Thanks for the info guys. :star:
Have the people with brake bias valves fitted, fit them in place of the standard load bias valve, with remote adjust? Seems like the logical thing to do...

I will be replacing the standard brake lines, to run them inside the car, so can pretty much fit the bias valve wherever.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Thanks for the info guys. :star:
Have the people with brake bias valves fitted, fit them in place of the standard load bias valve, with remote adjust? Seems like the logical thing to do...

I will be replacing the standard brake lines, to run them inside the car, so can pretty much fit the bias valve wherever.

yep :D i removed my standard load bias valve and replaced it with an adjustable one, just down by the gear lever, my brake lines also run inside the car.

172 Race Car
lol that vid is great, did he just lock up the rears braking for the bend?
yea it would lock up real easy, its stripped right out so no weight in the rear at all either. I sent him out first as a test pilot. I stopped the video just as he went bouncing across the grass