ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy thermostat or temperature sensor? (197)

2007 Clio 197
I've noticed the temperature gauge on my 197 rarely creeps above 1/4 - 1/3, so today I put some monitoring on it via the OBD port, and it seems the temperature's struggling to exceed about 65 degrees C. My commute's only 10 miles (ish), but I'd expect the car to get up to temperature in that distance. My old Scooby used to hit 80+ deg C in only a few miles..

I'm guessing it's either the thermostat or the ECU temperature sensor that's to blame. What do you reckon is the most likely?

(or, alternatively, which is the easiest to get to on the 197 to check? :))

340i
You are comparing an N/A engine to a turbo charged engine....

A turbo charged engine will always run hotter / warm up quicker.

10 miles is nowhere near enough miles to get a 197 to operating temperature.

2007 Clio 197
You are comparing an N/A engine to a turbo charged engine....

A turbo charged engine will always run hotter / warm up quicker.

10 miles is nowhere near enough miles to get a 197 to operating temperature.

Sure, I'd expect a difference, but not as huge as this. My journey's about 8 miles of free-flowing NSL A/B roads, followed by a mile or two of inner-city traffic - usually taking about 20 minutes. I'm seeing the car get to 50/60 degrees within the first few miles, and then pretty much staying there, even though the last couple of miles are in stop/start city traffic.

I'd definitely expect the water temp to get up to the point at which you'd see the 'stat cycling in that journey, even if the oil doesn't quite get to full working temperature..

Evo 5 RS
Depends how you're driving it, should be enough to get the coolant up to temperature. One way to find out, drive it hard and for a little longer lol. Try keeping the heaters off in the morning to aid it a wee bit.

Edit: Apparently the thermostats on 197s can get stuck open, quite common apparently

2007 Clio 197
Took the long way home tonight and managed about 20 miles.. only just nudged 70 deg C on the move. Got home and left it idling for 10 mins and the temperature gradually warmed up to 80 ish. All signs point to the stat, I reckon'.

megane 285 sport
mines done this since i brought the car, i think its due to the very cold weather, spoke to ben about this and he had both his stat and coolant sensor changed and was still the same. kevos stat went i his if i remember rightly and was lucky to even get the gauge over 1/4 and was basically running on cold start.

Clio
guaranteed thermostat. What you described is exactly my diagnosis before I replaced thermostat. After that, back to normal and car running strong.

2007 Clio 197
Thanks all!

Been down to Platinum Renault in Bath today and have ordered a new stat (and some new rear disks to sort out my noisy rear wheel bearings). That'll be a fun job this weekend!

2007 Clio 197
All sorted! With the new stat the temperature goes straight up to 75 degrees within the first couple of miles of my commute, then oscillates nicely between 70ish and 80ish as it carries on warming up. Should get myself an extra MPG or two with it not being in cold-start mode all the way to work now.

Thanks all for your advice!