ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dr Jekyll's Ph1 172 Progress Thread

Exclusive engine out

17985198148_1c8397987b.jpg

17986875669_b8306edc75.jpg

And cleaned/painted

17986282148_1d527f43b2.jpg

17986476420_1ed36359f6.jpg

17988057539_91696eff3a.jpg

Have given it another coat of silver and black since these pics. Also it looks like its had a new head at some point too. More soon....

Much like for this post!!

Many.
Exclusive looks mint!
Write s**t off for next to no reason nowadays, its daft.

Good progress, I hope for an EXTREMELY clean bay after all this!

Car is very clean, but it is quite a repair bill to fix it, and because there was an insurance delay, well, the courtsey car cost about 6 grand, plus the 2 grand car storage fees... So in effect, paying out the less than 2k, was tiny.

Still got some bits from it/whole shell still atm(!) if you want any bits?

Also, bay was as clean before, so shouldn't make any difference, as we're not realy doing anything extra

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I have no idea!! Even @AlexW said there was so much crap everywhere it was hard to tell.

These pics were sent to me, I haven seen it yet. Going over there tomorrow to paint the lower inlet.

What time will you be there, may be the perfect chance to pop over the tool box we spoke about?
(Just casually inviting myself along, feel free to tell me to gtfo!).

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@RyG I'll be there around 7ish. But as said before, you'll be better off speaking to them in person as they can speak to you in more depth. It's all good giving it to me but I don't know much about paint whereas they can talk you through what's needed, time scale, ideas, price, things to possibly replace, etc. If I gave it to him there'd be questions that I wouldn't know the answer too, etc.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
They also look like quite slim conrods. I didn't realise till I took them to work and a few guys showed me some that they have from other cars and these look a fair bit slimmer.

Many.
I guess I either didn't say to you Mark, or put it on here.

I dont think it was rod bolt fail at all, which were my first thoughts. I do believe its probably had a lack of oil, or just not been up to temp properly and its been its final time and couldn't take it anymore.

I dont have any pics of the lower half of conrod, because its in tiny tiny pieces, well what I can find anyway. Biggest bit was where one of the conrod bolts threaded in.

SQ5
I doubt it would be oil temp, most of mine have been thrashed from cold and I've easily done 200k+ in 172's and with rare oil changes too! Lol!

Many.
The point is, its not bolt failure (which I thought before I even saw the car), and the bearing is truely a mess. Unfortunately its impossibe to tell, mostly because the engine kept rotating, so thus theres crap all round the engine.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting it back now.

New clutch cable was fitted also, although not a genuine one but it was half the price for a new one. As with the rivets I wasn't too sure what size I needed so I just got them as I knew I'd get them for the weekend. I picked them up after work yesterday and looking atbtgem, it looks like I may actually have these ones at work :eek: However the ones that I currently have are different - black with a triangle indent so I actually thought i was getting these :S

I'll take it easy for the first couple of days just to make sure everything is running sweet and no odd noises.

Big thanks to Alex for sorting it all out :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys :)

Currently in talks about purchasing a set of AD08's that have done 30mins qualifying session. I'll be needing new tyres soon and i dont like my PE2's.

Then it will be new boot struts and some Ferodo DS2500's.

PH2 172
:smile:

Ferodo DS2500's.

Dont waste your money,bog standard Brembo pads @ £22 work very well.
Confirm with Rob(evil giraffe) as he recently drove my car around Bedord.
It`s so good to see someone loves their car,not like the the tossers that wont even replace a gearbox.