ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dr Jekyll's Ph1 172 Progress Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
No mate, about £60 ish.

The Renault ones are threaded all of the way up so will stretch.

20140427_131335_zps9caa3d26.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Not all times @Greeny. I do have a play every now and again but most times I'm just taking it easy. The Induction kit that I fitted recently made me drive a bit more rebellious though.

@B-shaw557 Alex is having it, not sure what he's full plans are yet but I think he make be breaking it. Your best off dropping him a PM :smile:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hmm, perhaps I'll make a little purchase then if it helps. Don't really want it going bang again.
Might as well while the engine is out, easy job

My PH1 will happy rev to 7400 off the limiter, no problems.

Renault bolts are proper s**t.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I shall look into it Scott.

While the engine is out I will be getting a 197 master cylinder (and re-worked/re-routed brake lines to help with my pedal feel and feedback. I will also give the new engine a coat of paint and swap over my painted parts before it goes back in the 'berg.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Sorry to see this bud, but at least you have a replacement engine lined up and a plan for sorting.

Scott is right, whilst putting the new engine in I'd throw some ARP's in. Not too pricey and worth it. I put a set in when I charged it but should have done before really.

Oh, and all the best clio 1*2's have eaten at least one engine. Welcome to the club. :wink:

Whilst extra cost, you may want to take the opportunity of the engine being out to do pain in the ass jobs like steering rack / EPAS / or things of that nature ;)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
No way man, mines a daily so still want it easy driving etc. All rack bushes etc was changed when the engine was out. I think I'll do the bolts and definitely the 197/200 master cylinder.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Here's a hilariously stupid, borderline rhetorical question re: bolts..

Is it just a sump off, and replace one rod's worth at a time with the belts all intact kind of job.....? No more invasive than that...?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Might as well while the engine is out, easy job

My PH1 will happy rev to 7400 off the limiter, no problems.

Renault bolts are proper s**t.
My original engine has been seeing 8k on standard everything...............for quite some time now. Lol! No arp rod bolts either!
New engine will/should/better (delete as applicable) see 8k safely.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
My original engine has been seeing 8k on standard everything...............for quite some time now. Lol! No arp rod bolts either!
New engine will/should/better (delete as applicable) see 8k safely.
Luck of the draw i guess mate.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I guess I didn't have that luck. I'm not 100% per cent on the bolts yet, as like people have said it's luck of the drawer. I'm sure you have given your car death as well @NorthloopCup
I'd would definitely fit a set of arp's mate. It's added security and peace of mind, plus it's much easier to do when the engine is out of the car.
I'm just a bell end mate. That's why I never bothered fitting any in my standard engine.

Many.
I'm going to look into why Marks engine failed before I say fit ARP's. I know of plenty of engines that are fine without, and I suspect its not a bolt failure on Marks, but I shall see before I commite.

Progress will start as soon as I have space for two cars, so could be a while!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'm going to look into why Marks engine failed before I say fit ARP's. I know of plenty of engines that are fine without, and I suspect its not a bolt failure on Marks, but I shall see before I commite.

Progress will start as soon as I have space for two cars, so could be a while!
There's a big enough hole in the block, shouldn't take alot of working out. 😂

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Custom ITG induction kit is awesome! After having tried the fatty setup on here I've actually switched to the standard airbox with an ITG panel filter now - feels more responsive and goes up the rev range better although I do miss the induction noise at times. Filter sponge looks similar to the ramair one, would there be noticeable difference in noise between filters I wonder

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Went to see Alex recently as i dropped off some bits to him. As mentioned, the doner 172 is now on the drive:

18009813272_958515b759_z.jpg

Along with a few others:

17392473143_2b960ab497_z.jpg

First time ive had a look over the Exclusive and the engine looks in decent condition. Going to take a few bits off the doner 172 as they are in better condition than my current ones or spares that i want to paint. They are:

ECU cover
Brake reservoir cap
Bonnet rubber
Speaker covers
Upgraded front speakers
Side strips
Cigarette lighter
Ashtray
Rear caliper carriers
Bonnet catch and bracket
Battery brace

I will also be buying:

197/200 master cylinder
ARP rod bolts
New clutch cable
New steering wheel as i think the 300mm is a tad too small, even though ive kind got used to it. Alex has bought this for he's 1.9 172.

Last edited:
  RB Clio 182
That exclusive looks lovely, glad you found a new engine asap mate, mine is away having a gbox fitted, money pits! :( but enjoyable money pits :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
That exclusive looks lovely, glad you found a new engine asap mate, mine is away having a gbox fitted, money pits! 😧 but enjoyable money pits :smile:

Is your gearbox being refurbed? And yes you are very much correct lol.

New engine, with belts, pulley and water pump all done last year.

@dmallett I know, minimal damage really.

What's up with it?

It got rear ended and written off, but it was not that bad tbh. One mans loss is another man's gain :smile:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Exclusive engine out

17985198148_1c8397987b.jpg

17986875669_b8306edc75.jpg

And cleaned/painted

17986282148_1d527f43b2.jpg

17986476420_1ed36359f6.jpg

17988057539_91696eff3a.jpg

Have given it another coat of silver and black since these pics. Also it looks like its had a new head at some point too. More soon....