ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dr Jekyll's Ph1 172 Progress Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
My damage is:

F*cked front bumper
Broken headlight brackets (glass is intact but the headlight wobbles)
Grill pushed back
Slight crease in bonnet
Small crack on wing

Bumper £500 ish
Headlight £80
Steel bonnet £130 (i have a alloy one you could buy)

SQ5
As has been said CoPart are probably one of the biggest scrapyards in the UK which would be ringing massive alarm bells!

Is there anyway of just going through insurance for the other car and not having yours repaired? If your excess is £500 you'd probably get it done for that anyway?

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
First off sorry about the bump! I wouldn't be letting the car be removed from my posession, makes getting it back if written off ALOT more hassle! The last time I had a bump the Insurance assessor came to inspect the car in my drive with me present then wrote his report to the insurance company.

I would argue the case about the car being taken away.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys. It's all new to me and I'm getting all confused! I have a body shop near my work that one of the chaps recommended as he's still on good terms with the owner as he used to work there. I'm going to cancel the CoPart and take it there instead. They do insurance work and I'm told it'll be in safe hands.

Ford Mustang 5.0
Mark
It will depend on the damage if the assessor can view it at your property and make a judgement then he will. If he feels the car has underlying damage that he cant physically see or wants a more detailed inspection he may have the car taken somewhere they can access and asses the car better (with ramp etc).

As a general rule if the repair costs are over 50% of the vehicle value the car will be a total loss. Insurers have to use new parts when repairing so this can bump the repair estimates up considerably. If the car is borderline total loss we could investigate the possibilty of a cash in liue payment towards repairs. This would basically mean you could use the payment to source parts yourself and use your own bodyshop to get the costs down.
In all honesty your repair looks very minor so if the new parts cost push the car into insurer "beyond economical repair" you could simply take cash in liue and either have the bumper repaired or source a used one off ebay and make it as good as new.

Can you see behind the bumper if there appears to me much else damaged as it looks pretty superficial. Probably easier for you to call the office and speak to me on 01277 650866 as i can answer your questions instantly.

If it gets taken to a garage or assessment place dont worry, until you accept any offer from the insurer the car belongs to you still so wont be stripped or sold on if thats what you were worried about. Co Part are a large salvage/recovery/storage yard so that is where the vehicle is going.

Kind Regards
Neil

Do NOT let any assessors take it away

I've had this before a very long time ago fortunately I didn't care to much for the car but it got picked up to be assessed got written off and then stripped of all the good parts and I lost out big time

Take to to your choice of repair shop who you know, get a quote t get it repaired, supply the expensive things yourself like the bumper and lights and have them do the work 9 times out of 10 insurance companies don't have a problem with this as it works out cheaper for them in the long run and they don't have to pay out a total loss claim

Gutted for you though mate , really am! Don't go posting clean car pics anymore ;)

SQ5
That was similar to what I had when my R32 was hit. Was taken from scene as I went to hospital, and went to Ipswich. There my iPod and CDs were stolen, luckily I took my DSLR in the ambulance, it then was taken to Chelmsford a few days later and then cost me £250 to get it back home.

When we then tried to start it it didn't, we realised that all the loom had been cut behind the dash to render it as worse than it was!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That was similar to what I had when my R32 was hit. Was taken from scene as I went to hospital, and went to Ipswich. There my iPod and CDs were stolen, luckily I took my DSLR in the ambulance, it then was taken to Chelmsford a few days later and then cost me £250 to get it back home.

When we then tried to start it it didn't, we realised that all the loom had been cut behind the dash to render it as worse than it was!
c***s!!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Gutted for you mark. Your not having much luck with my old car.Hopefully u get it all sorted.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I would also like to point out that @Neil@greenlight and the team have been really helpful. Messages have been replied to out of work hours, they've been very informative on the phone helping me out and Neil even called me personally to help me and is pushing so that i receive the best option for me, even doing all the run-around work for me :smiley:

Big thanks :smile:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I know Jamie. It does feel like a Jekyll and Hyde car atm but i'm not giving up just yet!
On the bright side mate, its not that bad. Could have been a whole lot worse.

You also get to have the front end painted to a standard your happy with. :wink:

f**k's sake man! Your having no luck lately.
Looked so good in those pictures too :(

Hope you get it all sorted.
Brave going through insurance also, I'd have not bothered lol, end up worse off in most cases.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The reason i went through the insurance was because i hit the other chap and i thought he would claim, losing me my excess. With me claiming too i only pay one excess fee plus i have 10 years protected NCB. This seemed the best option for me. The insurance have come back to me with:

£1320 and it'll be a write off, minus my £300 excess so £1020. I can buy it back 10-30% of the salvage value but the car becomes a Cat C and need to be vosa checked afterwards.

Or cash in lieu is £1050, minus my excess so £750. Car doesn't becomes a Cat C, doesn't need to be vosa checked afterwards and stays on the road. I have opted for this option.

So with that in mind i've sourced all my parts that need replacing. I managed to get an ally bonnet off @Phase1sr headlights, grill and wing off @Fantom and a front bumper off @Daniel

Also got one of the new bonnet seals off @davo172 in the group buy. Here's some pics:

19806880266_e9c0dafa19_z.jpg

19210429214_6334eb402f_z.jpg

Got my headlights home and i decided that they would need a lot of work t clean them up. With that i decided to remove the lens with my original one and swap them over. Got my heat gun out and heated up the lens then removed it.

19833079415_0f14846893_z.jpg

I got a bit of glue on the "chrome" so i took a wipe to it...... that was was bad idea. it went black. Unfortunately the chrome the other one was cracked so i just tried neatening out this one. I think i went too far!

19645044590_617593b3d6_z.jpg

Of course i had to remove the bumper and grill to get to the headlight. This was good as i could see the damage behind the bumper. Luckily its virtually zero.

19210448214_05bf6db7c9_z.jpg

Bumper protection pad got cracked. Nice socks too!

19825719602_74f66355a6_z.jpg

Bent bumper bracket

19645057810_f53f75a148_z.jpg

19806895846_9bb10b3fe9_z.jpg

19645051088_6f64ea969a_z.jpg

19645052778_9601d9a4f0_z.jpg

Bent it back with some pliers and all is good. Slight wing damage too but all repairable :smile:

19645056050_c5c16fab99_z.jpg

Here's how it looks on the front end.

19645049070_5b058d5e07_z.jpg

I also had my AD08r's fitted too. Will get the car geometry check next weekend.

19806904056_1d7d9528bc_z.jpg

For now i've fitted up the headlights again until i get all my body panels and insurance cheque come through then i'll look into getting it painted. I believe Renault sell the headlights new for £80ish so im thinking of getting them from them. I only need the passengers side and my drivers is in great condition so pointless buying a set. I also keep looking at Momo Team 300mm wheels. My one is crap so i may make another purchase.

I've currently got a raised throttle idle issue too.

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/ph...utch-is-engaged-neutral.778401/#post-10816764

I've pushed the pipe that goes into the back of the inlet under the ICV (not sure what its called) as it was slightly loose. this has helped but it's still not the same as it originally was. It does seem like a air leak somewhere but i really don't know where!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
It does Scott. Oddly enough, I didn't think it was that bad before but much better now. Hard to explain how but it felt so different on the way home after having it done.

AD08r's are awesome too. Was having a bit of a blast last night and the grip is great. So much better than my old pe2's. Plus they look cool :cool:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Nice and grippy Kyle, I worthy upgrade on my old pe2's for sure.

Geo was done by Stortford Performance in Bishops Stortford. I took my old BG there and also my ph1 when I first swapped the suspension over and they was decent to deal with so I thought I'd go there again. Service was spot on again with communications, process, etc.

Next thing is to get the car sprayed. Going to wait until the cheque comes through and clears. Gives me a few more weeks to save a bit more. In the mean time I will buy a new headlight. It's a risk buying 2nd hand ones and the majority have knackered lenses. Spoke to Renault and they recommended me to go to Euro Car Parts as they are exactly the same, due to OE spec and noticeable cheaper!

Have ordered some bits for the ph1 like clips and stays for when the bonnet gets sprayed.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You will end up replacing both lights mate.

I thought my old units where mint until i bought my new ones, if you fit 1 new and keep the old one it will look odd and end up pissing you off.

"i can here the wish i had"

Mini GP2
Great to see this car being put back to the immaculate standard it was.... it will be so worth it in the end; lovely example of a PH1.