ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DUF.

53 Clio's & counting
Ah, I wondered when the man himself would make an appearence! ;)

Rear end is proper lol, all I can see out the rear window is road!

PM me your contact details mate and il keep you updated on how it goes!

Will have to pop over and say hi once it's a bit more tidy!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
from when i had it.....

DUF4.jpg

DUF1.jpg

DUF3.jpg

DUF2.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
Shiney shiney! I need to sort the Clifford out too, key fob has fallen apart and Im getting fed up of the light flashing on the steering colomn cowling lol. Going to get that ripped out and a new one installed I think.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
As I've said before, Russ... if anyone can pull a Willy off... you can! :D

Enjoy and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh soon. The car that is.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was amazed at the difference with the 172 setup, my last hybrid was very stable but the difference with wide track was noticable, and this even more so again, it is running some camber, il grab some photos to show later. Would benefit from some decent geo mind, but all will be done in good time :)

The problem with mk1's is its a lottery if the rear end is any good or not, and they arent easy to change around like a mk2, because the stub axles are intergrated into the beam you can shim them.
Heat them up and bend them is about your only option and thats not exactly trivial to do.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1
This isnt the Williams that used ot be parked near mutley in Plymouth is it?
In 07/08 I used to park it up @ Mutley on Houndiscombe road when the missis lived there so may be the one you have seen. And yes Russ,id love a look one day when your projects done maybe! I was thinking,theres probably no record of it but that was a new Renault gearbox on about 80k with a mildly uprated clutch. So that side of things should be fairly sound.

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Looks nice.

Regarding the high idle/rev sticking problem, has the idle screw in the throttle body been adjusted at all? I say this because when cams were fitted to mine this had to be 'turned up' to stop it stalling on tickover etc.

53 Clio's & counting
Looks nice.

Regarding the high idle/rev sticking problem, has the idle screw in the throttle body been adjusted at all? I say this because when cams were fitted to mine this had to be 'turned up' to stop it stalling on tickover etc.

Funnily enough mate read below:

Update time,

Had about 2 hours on Duf today, I took the ICV of fand gave it a good clean with carb cleaner, followed by some WD40, I cleaned every electrical plug I could find with electrical cleaner, I re-earthed the dash again (Made a better job of it) and took the air filter off and cleaned the throttle body (Well I say clean, it was spotless to begin with).

I put it all back together, jump started it as the battery was flat (Not used it all week and I think the battey needs a charge so il chuck it on the battery charger at work tomorrow) and took it for a tentitve first drive.

Bottom line is, it was better than before, but still not fixed.

Was pretty gutted to be honest, I was hoping it would fix it, but I thought of one thing I didn't try - looking at the idle screw on the throttle body.

So I had a look, and the white cap was down the side of the screw, which was a big relief - it's not great it had been fiddled with, but at least I knew it wasn't as it was supposed to be.

So while it was running, I screwed it in - I was screwed out LOADS! As I kept turning, the idle got lower (As expected) and I took it to about 1000 rpm - I went for another drive and it was so much better - revs dropping much faster, and every time I stopped the idle dropped to circa 1000rpm.

Now it's not perfect - the revs still go up slightly when I dip the clutch, and the revs don't drop to idle as quick as id like, but it is not correctly mapped so that may be something to do with it and it is now 95% better and much much more enjoyable to drive :)

53 Clio's & counting
Not sure Jamie lol, a by-product of the 172 widetrack im guessing, I think it has oem 172 front springs, il have to check

53 Clio's & counting
Turn in is, well epic lol.setup will be checked soon when i do the geo, but more important things on the list at the mo.

As expected it looks to chew tyres up but the steering feel is awesome, and it feels like the front won't ever understeer, and it's on shitty tyres too

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
In 07/08 I used to park it up @ Mutley on Houndiscombe road when the missis lived there so may be the one you have seen. And yes Russ,id love a look one day when your projects done maybe! I was thinking,theres probably no record of it but that was a new Renault gearbox on about 80k with a mildly uprated clutch. So that side of things should be fairly sound.

Yep thats when I was at uni. Loved that car every time I saw it :) Used to drive that particular road home out of the many availible just to see it lol

53 Clio's & counting
Had a fun hour at work this afternoon, took Duf into work as the battery had gone flat, so as I was at work this morning I stuck it in the workshop on the battery charger, but while poking around the engine bay I noticed the brake servo vacuum hose had come loose from it's clips and had been sat against the exhaust manifold :-/

I popped the hose off the metal pipe that runs from the inlet manifold and as soon as I had moved the hose it pretty much split in two directly where the burn was.

And to top it off the selection of hose I had at work was either like a c**k in a sock or too big.

A bit of head scratching and rummaging around, I cut the hard plastic spout off the top of a gear oil bottle, cut out the burn bit of hose and inserted the tube and clamped it - then finished up by cable tieing the hose back where it should have been lol.

So all sorted but I really hope my temporary manifold heat shield turns up soon! Not going to drive too far until I have that.

53 Clio's & counting
Flol! Nope, I have a funny feeling im going to have an eventfull time with this little car!

Getting cambelt done asap too as Im pretty sure it's overdue.

Good to hear it's had a new box, clutch and due to the best snapping in Tucks ownership it's had a head rebuild too.

Plus with the 172 widetrack setup, there isn't much left for me to actually replace lol.Just alot of tidying up ;)

though I did find yesterday that part of the gearstick is broken, so thats another thing to add to the list lol. Still plenty useable mind

53 Clio's & counting
On my local rollers tomorrow morning, so il post up how I get on.

Exhaust manifold is blowing like hell on the downpipe join, and the chip is wrong for the cams so im not expecting big numbers, more to make sure it's not causing itself any damage, as I think it may be pinking slightly under load (Hard to tell with the manifold blowing).

Plus I have about a hundred parcels turning up with week lol, proepr update to come over the weekend.

53 Clio's & counting
Well had Duf on the rollers this morning.

Back on my local rollers, which ran my Ph1 172 over 5 odd years (With filter, exhaust and matched inlet combo) always came out between 170-173bhp.

Duf came out with:

Fly - 176 bhp
Wheels - 149 bhp
Torque - 140 lb ft

Happy with that, bear in mind the map needs work, and the exhaust manifold/downpipe join is blowing like hell.

The important bit though, (The reason why I had it ran up) is to make sure the map is safe, which it is.

As I thought, it is pinking at low revs under load, but not enough to do any damage, and once over 3000 rpm it is ok.

It does need a remap though, the AFR's are over the shop a bit, so more power to come, but generally seems pretty healthy :)

2012-04-14102411.jpg

2012-04-14102422.jpg

2012-04-14102439.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Circuit motors I take it?

They read quite a bit higher than dyno dynamics that im used to, but at least you have a benchmark relative to your old car.

Bet it goes well with same as your 172 for power in a lighter mk1 shell :)

As you say, defnately some more power from a little more fuel, should think you are half a dozen bhp down on what it will be, so should crack 180 on those rollers.

53 Clio's & counting
Circuit motors I take it?k

They read quite a bit higher than dyno dynamics that im used to, but at least you have a benchmark relative to your old car.

Bet it goes well with same as your 172 for power in a lighter mk1 shell :)

As you say, defnately some more power from a little more fuel, should think you are half a dozen bhp down on what it will be, so should crack 180 on those rollers.

Yup it's circuit motors mate, Paul's been RR'ing my cars for years :)

it's good to see it's making respectible power compared to my old 172, it does go well but a tad flat at low revs - understandable now iv seen the afr's lol and bear in mind it is cammed too power will naturally be up a bit higher :)

Iquite rightly as you say mate it does need a map though lol, would be nice to get close to 180bhp on Pauls rollers mate, maybe steal a bit more torque too - and fix my rediculously blowing exhaust manifold lol

53 Clio's & counting
Its quite nice, just a bit flat at lower revs, but iv not been putting load on at low revs due to the pinking so it will be brilliant to drive it once iv had it mapped - think its worth having the timing tweaked to see if it can be any better mate? Iv been informed it is currently set to what angelworks suggested, but im unaware of what those settings are

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Probably wants 30 ish degrees at high rpm at full load, I've no idea what angel works use though.

Personally would just go aftermarket tbh! I'm not a fan of the standard ecu.

53 Clio's & counting
If I was going more engine modifications I would mate, but to be honest it's pokey enough and id rather make the brakes and suspension as good as I can - and of course leaving it somewhere close to seeming standard will hopefully retain some value lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I'm too used to b4stardised creations with no resale value, lol.

Get kj16v to map it is your best bet, he's about the only one doing much with those ecus these days.

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah it's ok mate, flat at lower revs, needs 4500rpm to get going, Im sure the new map will make it better :)

Now have some nimbus heat shield arrived, as well as a speedo cable, lambda probe and another idle control vale