ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DUF.

53 Clio's & counting
Blimey, Dan's photos really do flatter Duf, don't they? :rasp:

You know I'm only kidding mate. I reckon Duf could be in a LOT worse shape given it's interesting history. It's a shame that the downpipe cut the day short at Llandow but I hope I get the chance to see it in action again soon. Look forward to catching up with you again soon, too.

Yeah the body is spot on, it's just all the Frenchness is everything else on it thats the problem lol

was it caused by a worn engine mount or just one of those things?

I think a bit of both mate, Iv done the dog bone mount, but there is a little movement in both the others - not a huge amount, but possibly enough once driven very hard to cause an issue, I will have a look next week once iv got it up on the ramps. Course to be fair the downpipe is as old as the manifold, so it's done pretty well lol

Got a rust free non sunroof willy shell for sale !!!

Cheers mate but I have enough projects on the go as it is lol

53 Clio's & counting
Cheers Mark! il make sure Duf is ok for next time and you will have to try the legend out ;)

though our race car is not finished, iv got the racing driver excuses sorted - the track was wet, i had crap tyres and it was first time out in the car so I wasn't going mad :eek: that should do lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
September sounds good for some Mk1 action, hopefully Dan can have his done by then and mine certainly should be.

My williams downpipe failed at combe, had to go and find a local coach company with a welder they would lend me to weld it up again during the break between sessions. Luckily my mate who was with me is a rally mechanic so he yanked it off and on in a fraction of the time it would have taken me so it only took about 45 mins start to finish including me welding it up and him removing and refitting it!

53 Clio's & counting
lol not bad going there!

Im bringing it in tomorrow and get it up on the ramp to survey the damage lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
you confident you are going to hold onto DUF for a while once its all sorted then rather than be tempted into selling it?

Williams 2 & 200
Nice to meet you Friday Russ, got the car home fine and Midget is all stored up in the garage at the moment ready for the work although my to do list has reached £2k at the moment!

53 Clio's & counting
you confident you are going to hold onto DUF for a while once its all sorted then rather than be tempted into selling it?

Yeah I think so mate, though I keep finding bits I want to replace as Im getting all OCD with it, so im weighing up my options at the moment - I think unless someone throws a wedge of cash I can't refuse at me, then it will be staying lol - im thinking of going back to a Williams front track set up though

Nice to meet you Friday Russ, got the car home fine and Midget is all stored up in the garage at the moment ready for the work although my to do list has reached £2k at the moment!

Pleasure to meet you too mate, glad to here you got back fine, and lol @ the list, it gets very infectious! :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
When you say going back to williams front track setup, what is it on now (forgive me if its been covered in the thread I have a rubbish memory for most things)

Renault 19 arms are a lot better than williams ones IMHO

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Why would you want to go away from that? Better than Williams surely?
Or just for originality sake?

Ive got some Williams fitment leda's you can have cheap if you want it to still handle well after the swap back. Lol

53 Clio's & counting
Im in two minds - The 172 shocks on it at the moment are shot - I was clipping the passenger side front arch at Llandow - So it needs new ones. If I keep it as it is, then il buy new 172 shocks and run Eibach springs, which I ran on my ph1 172 for close to 40,000 miles and loved it.

Id really like Koni's - I ran these on my mk1 years ago and felt fantastic, but out of my price range at the moment.

Then again, I keep thinking should it go back to Williams set up - driving Duf then my spare Williams back to back, I could feel the difference, and Duf gripped better, but the other one had more 'feel' to it - Now this could just be that my shocks are shot, plus the top mounts need doing - I have never driven a Mk1 running MK2 setup, so I can only compare it to a mk2 running tired suspension.

I do have some Avo shocks which are adjustable which I am planning on the rear, as to be honest the rear shocks are not great either, but this is where I am in two minds - do I replace all the kit I have now, new shocks, springs, top mouunts, chuck on some camber bolts and see what it's like, hoping it will drive and handle better than it would have running original track, or pull it all off and go back to a Williams setup which does work well, if not perfect.

help lol

On a side note, I do love the 280mm brakes, not as much initial bite as the standard Williams brakes, but my god do they stop faster and just don't fade, thats on standard discs and pads too

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Brakes are way better on the 172 setup and the handling is better too, if you want to drive it on track not do concours its a total no brainer. Plus 172 spare shafts etc are far far easier to come by.

I think you are mental if you convert back to rubbish brakes and worse handling if you are going to continue to track it.

The downsides your are seeing currently are just down to the condition of your 172 parts.

We have 2 172s currently, the black one is all new suspension and the silver one is old and worn, the difference is huge, come and try them back to back to see what I mean if you like.

53 Clio's & counting
Cheers mate, I ran my black ph1 on 90k old front shocks and 50k rears - when I fitted new Renault shocks all round with Eibach Pros it was like a different car.

Cheers for the reality check, I think sticking with the 172 setup sounds the best idea, il look at new front shocks and il try fitting the Avos on the rear and make them a little softer.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I agree with Chip. Theres no point in buying all new williams stuff (or even worse, old secondhand stuff!) to make it more original when 172 stuff can be had easier and cheaper nowadays.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That's all of us on 172 stuff then with our mk1s and all similar power so the next llandow should be an awesome little tussle between us :)

There is an omex and loom on here for 550 dan, we could have your car running in no time with that.

53 Clio's & counting
Go for the cup shocks when you do it, they are a little firmer than normal 172 ones.

Cheers mate :)

I agree with Chip. Theres no point in buying all new williams stuff (or even worse, old secondhand stuff!) to make it more original when 172 stuff can be had easier and cheaper nowadays.

I was more looking for feel, I would have refurbished whatever I was going to fit mind, but you're definately both right :)

That's all of us on 172 stuff then with our mk1s and all similar power so the next llandow should be an awesome little tussle between us :)

There is an omex and loom on here for 550 dan, we could have your car running in no time with that.

Lol sounds good to me! :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeah just seen it.

Tbh, i've got too much on at the minute anyway. Would have been nice to have sat in the toolbox though!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
500 is a bit of an antique, would be ok for now but he would be better off getting a newer one for when he supercharges later on.

Clio 172
Shame the downpipe went tits up at Llandow I'd have liked a ride out in the car.

Chip just to ask what suspension do you run on the PH1?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Shame the downpipe went tits up at Llandow I'd have liked a ride out in the car.

Chip just to ask what suspension do you run on the PH1?

Do you mean the phase 2 I had at llandow and took you out in, or do you mean my silver phase 1 which Im guessing you dont mean as you probably dont even know I own one, lol, or do you mean one of my mk1s?

So basically, which do you mean in this picture, black, blue, yellow, silver:
1235bd46.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
now thats a garage I would like to own!

Me too, but sadly thats actaully my parents place, the house I own myself only has a single garage :( I store the mk1s at my parents though and as they were away on holiday we got the mk2s on the drive as well as me and the mrs had the week off to do a load of work on all of them so it made sense just having them all in one place.

53 Clio's & counting
I have the same problem of lack of space, as Duf is kept in my garage, Claires car in front, and my sales cars/any other bit of crap I seem to buy ends up either at my parents house (more room) or at my lock up (Which also has a lot of my tat already in lol)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah its a big problem being into cars, I have storage spaces at a couple of local farms, and I have a workshop that I share with a mate.

would love to have a big enough garage to get 10 or 12 cars in again like I used to have but just cant afford it these days.