ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Turning over

Clio sport 172
Right, ph2 172 was turning over but not starting, found that it was a pipe(it starts metal then rubber then metal) that runs from left side off the engine down towards the alternator and had a bad connection so was shorting and sparking. Turns out the piece of metal pipe has come unwelded from its join. To check it was this that was causing the problem I sat the pipe how it should and then the car starts.
To get a better connection to get it to a garage I diconnected battery so it was safe to work then wedged the lose pipe in and reconnected the battery, go to start it and it doesnt even turn over just a click comes from possibly near the alternator, still have all lights on dash etc. Could this be an engine fuse and also what is the pipe i'm trying to describe. Any help much appreciated

I'm assuming the pipe you're describing isn't an electrical cable? In that case it shouldn't be sparking at all. Sounds like maybe your engine earth is broken and it is earthing through the pipe intermittently. It would also be consistent with it just clicking after you re-seated the pipe.

Try connecting a jump lead from somewhere on the engine with bare metal to the negative/earth terminal on the battery and see if it will start normally.

There is an earth braid down at the front of the gearbox, check it isn't broken.

Clio sport 172
Cheers Mark123, I will try this tonight and let you know how I get on, also get some photo's on here may help people understand

Clio sport 172
I have an engine bay pic on here and been able to highlight the pip im trying to describe, it goes down the front ofthe grill as a metal pipe

\\Ls-gl5fb\share\clio.jpg

Clio sport 172
I thought it was, it sparked when you try and put it back where should be. So I need a new one of these as the pipe has snapped at join but now it doesnt spark but also the engine doesnt turn over, so maybe its blown something somewhere.

Clio sport 172
I have a Ac pipe on its way so should have that fitted in a few days. If before I disconnected the battery and just placed this where it should be and got the engine to start sont it now. Is it earthing, Any ideas on what to do to eliminate now. Have power, xenons work etc.