ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EVO best fwd of all time - Trophy 004/500 came 2nd..anyone's on here?

Clio 197
just flicking through my EVO magazine from september 2006 where they tested out 15 contenders for best fwd of all time, the trophy came 2nd to the integra, williams came 3rd and 205 gti third etc, its a decent write up.........out of interest is this trophy owned by someone on here ??

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
1-6 were the press cars, 7 is mine and was the first one sold to a customer - Lee the first owner :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
was 004 not the one that had loads of issue's, it was advertised on pistonheads with a new issue every week but no mention of the previous issues being resolved lol. I know it was atleast one of the press cars and it wasnt 001.

I think harry metcalfe's is in the 300's

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm sure Harry's was a press car, iirc. it's the one EVO tested that he later bought.
I thought he fell in love with it on ecoty, rang renault and ordered a brand new one on the spot?

This is a very geeky topic lol.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
LOL trophy geeks :cool:

I've just checked one of his blogs and its an 05 plate so it could well be one of the early cars so I doubt his is in the 300's

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Does he still have it? I saw in a pic him changing the dampers with his zonda in the background, made me laugh :D

Si

RS Clio 172
he has sooo many cars. still has a 340R iirc.

there would have been an "end of term" if he'd sold it surely? didn't he let his son drive it in one issue?

182 Trophy
It was one of the first press cars. Either the one that won ecoty '05 or the one they tested against the M6. Last I heard, his son was driving it in a driving school for kids.

lift number 1 @ btm
That's it Si, I couldn't remember the name.

Someone pm him and we can have a sweepstake. :clown:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Yeah I read that, his son is 13 and gets let loose around castle combe in the trophy to teach him the importance of good road manors and how to control a car I'm guessing. A very very lucky boy.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
For those who arent registered on ClioT this was posted by Harry on Jan 05 2006:::

I'm now the owner of a rather well used Trophy as after completing evo car of the year 2005 in November I decided to see about buying the Clio Trophy off Renault at the end of the test as I reckon there's never been a better hot hatch ever produced. In fact it's so good we might never see anything like it again thanks to all the new regulations manufacturers have to work to now.
The car we took down to the South of France to worry all the supercars we'd assembled this year was No.004 so if I was going to buy one that seemed the right one to have. Renault did offer me No. 002-006 as they had six press cars in all they were de-fleeting, although Trophy No.001 is to be retained by Renault UK indefinitely.
My car arrived with 6,800miles on the clock and now shows 7,900.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
i remember ripping the bumper off that car at FCS a few years back LOL (Lee ran out of talent)
oops :( Ah who cares its perfect as it is right now and thats all that counts to me....well after I put a new engine in next week :dapprove:

Lionel Richie
it was only because it went off circuit briefly (nowt bad) and some gravel got into the aux belt and made it jump a rib, bumper came off as edde thought he could sort it at site, but it ended up going on the back of an AA truck to be done under warranty LOL, no harm done

williams and trophy
hmmmm i remember scaring lee half to death when i took him round oulton in the willy lol. even he admitted the willy was the quicker car on the day.....and it was way down on power running an 1800 head . i was trying to keep flan off my back bumper at the time tho lol

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
it was only because it went off circuit briefly (nowt bad) and some gravel got into the aux belt and made it jump a rib, bumper came off as edde thought he could sort it at site, but it ended up going on the back of an AA truck to be done under warranty LOL, no harm done

You mean it wasn't like this?

[youtube]eyBNQo5pPgA[/youtube]

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Lol sounds like 007 has led quite a lifestyle including it's time with me although I've never took it off roading yet lmao

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Harry is like a God to some people.

Did I mention teh Fwd FRP is awesome? :eek:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Tegs, hmmm not such a fan tbh. Housemate had one when i had my 306 Rallye.

Drove it quite often & it certainly wasnt worth the extra £4k at the time. Strangely, he thought the same, so flogged it & bought a 172 cup instead ....

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Decent showing from Renault there. Are Teg DC2's really that good. I'd like to try one.

Yes they are. Drove one that was fully polybushed, Spoon throttle body, inlet, ecu and intake. Was unreal, never known a fwd car to handle so well. Gearbox is better than an mx5. Can see why they hold good value. I'd say anyone who says they are bad must of driven a snotter. Revving to 9500rpm is serious fun!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
But worth the extra pennies? And apologies i dont want to turn this thread into a integra vs clio thread. Just curious really

Dan