ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exalto 2 Tyres on 182 with Cup Suspension

Lucky old sod ..... I have taken delivery of my 182 with Cup suspension. I was looking at the tyres and they simply say Exalto on them. The sidewalls look stiff, but at my age stiffness is hard to define. I am sure Renault wont have got the tyres wrong but is there anything written on the sidewalls to distinguish between Exalto and Exalto 2 tyres ?

[Edited by oldman on 22 May 2004 at 1:34pm]

Well they seem to do the job well enough!

Picked up my 182 last night and have done 240 miles in it already - absolutely loving every minute. Its a breath of fresh air compared to my 206 GTi, it feels much more alive and the turn-in is damn impressive....it is really demonstrating to me how poor my little Pug was!! The handling is fantastic, although I will take it carefully, the backend certainly feels a bit twitchy on lift-off (as you would expect), and slowly build up the speed. Although saying that I was travelling pretty fast this morning around some tight B Road corners. ;)

On the engine front, all seems fine sounds nice and it really wants to go...but I havent taken it above 4,200 rpm yet...Ill give it a few more miles. Got a few funny looks on the M1 last night as I was varying the speed quite a bit (between 55-80mph) so as to vary the engine revs and avoid bedding the engine in at a constant 3,500rpm!

Overall very impressed and happy with my first Renault and I cant wait to give it some proper stick once there are a few more miles on the clock!

I guess Paul_G has replied to the wrong thread.

In any case, on my 182 with cup suspension the tyres simply say Exalto on them as well...

Quote: Originally posted by oldman on 22 May 2004

Lucky old sod ..... I have taken delivery of my 182 with Cup suspension. I was looking at the tyres and they simply say Exalto on them. The sidewalls look stiff, but at my age stiffness is hard to define. I am sure Renault wont have got the tyres wrong but is there anything written on the sidewalls to distinguish between Exalto and Exalto 2 tyres ?

[Edited by oldman on 22 May 2004 at 1:34pm]

Exalto 2s say PE2 on them

Er, whats the difference / benefit from the E2s? Stiffer sidewall = less tire roll = better grip? I guess...

Ford Fiesta

when you pay extra for the suspension pack you are supposed to get the newer stiffer sidewalls new tyres, are renault simply dishing normal tyres out and saying they are stiffer?????!

Quote: Originally posted by Bradfordlad on 24 May 2004

when you pay extra for the suspension pack you are supposed to get the newer stiffer sidewalls new tyres, are renault simply dishing normal tyres out and saying they are stiffer?????!
According to Michelin Techical Support...they don;t make an stiffer sidewall or extra load version of the PE2 in the 205/45/16 size.

I dont quite understand what renault means when they say a stiffer sidewall with the cup option.

From what i have found out the tyres are the same on the 182 and the 182 with the cup susp pack.

Quote: Originally posted by Bradfordlad on 24 May 2004

someone should email renault and ask what is going on me thinks... :)
It would be interesting to know for sure...

I do find it hard to believe that renault fit a tyre that michelin know nothing about.....

I seem to remember that the cup was also advertised as having a stiffer sidewall tyre, but I dont think there was a difference between their contis and the contis on my meagre 172.

Quote: Originally posted by black-cat on 24 May 2004

I seem to remember that the cup was also advertised as having a stiffer sidewall tyre, but I dont think there was a difference between their contis and the contis on my meagre 172.
Just had a quick look, there does not seem to be a difference between the cup and the std 172 tyres...both have the same markings on them...

Ford Fiesta

hey up,

Ill email Renault now. Id like to know if they are in fact special tyres for the 182 like advertised.

Liam

Ive ordered four new 185/55/15 Exaltos for my Williams on the strength that Michelin tyres are always great and when I asked about an "Exalto 2" the tyre dealer said that they have a stiffer sidewall as standard - i.e. its not some special version of the tyre.

Hope that helps.

Clio 182 FF + cup stuff

Just had a look at my tires on 182 and it does only say pilot exalto BUT there is a rectangle box beneath it with PE2 in it. Could be Pilot Exalto 2???

Just a guess really

Quote: Originally posted by jimiariss on 24 May 2004

Just had a look at my tires on 182 and it does only say pilot exalto BUT there is a rectangle box beneath it with PE2 in it. Could be Pilot Exalto 2???

Just a guess really
That right...PE2 is exalto 2s

Thanks for all the feedback, looks like the subtle PE2 is the answer.

Not sure what pi$$ed off Rob, but lets all agree to get coilovers eh ;)

There is an extra load version of the PE 2, the weight charge on the sidewall of the tire is "83" instead of "80" (not sure fot the 80 but Im sure for the 83).

dk

911 GTS Cab

what will solve this is if we get someone without the cup suspension to post a close up pic of the tyre and someone with the cup suspension to also post a pic and compare the markings side by side. There must be a difference.

Quote: Originally posted by deuginthesky on 25 May 2004

There is an extra load version of the PE 2, the weight charge on the sidewall of the tire is "83" instead of "80" (not sure fot the 80 but Im sure for the 83).
83 id the std load rating...they dont make a PE2 in that size with any different a load rating....

Anyone got the pictures yet?

Quote from RenaultSport website ;

"A Cup chassis option is introduced offering a wider track front and rear, a stiffer sidewall on the tyres, a lower ride height, stiffer springs and dampers and new steering geometry."

this implies that it should have stiffer sidewall tyres with the Cup option

dk

911 GTS Cab

mine say outside on them and for a split second I thought it may mean stiffer outside wall?? But then I put brain into gear a realised it meant that that side was suppposed to be on the outside of the car!!!! Duh

dk

911 GTS Cab

when I goit pricing from renault they asked me if I needed the cup or no-cup version as they have different part codes? They cant do all this advertising about the tyres being different and them not be, that would be false advertising!

There has to be a difference and a way of telling, maybe Jeremy will know?

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 25 May 2004

There is only the 83v rating for this tyre size.

Look on Michelins website for all the sizes and the codes. The cup option doesnt have different tyres. I am told that the stiffer sidewalls are classified as XL (extra load) as on Pilot Sport 2s, i dont see XL anywhere for the Ex 2s.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/http://www.michelin.co.uk/
The extra load version of the tyre does apparently does not have a noticable different strength sidewall. The main area is the bead which is beefed up to support the extra pressure that they run at. I think it is an extra 6psi, that extra load tyres need.

Renault must know something about it...

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 25 May 2004

when I goit pricing from renault they asked me if I needed the cup or no-cup version as they have different part codes? They cant do all this advertising about the tyres being different and them not be, that would be false advertising!

There has to be a difference and a way of telling, maybe Jeremy will know?
Just check with 2 dealers...they started by saying they were different (sidewall) but when they looked into it...they said.....

Oh they are both the same tyres...they sounded somewhat surprised....

Bit of a mission this now....

Lee

BMW M2C

Keep it up guys. Sad, but Im hooked now I need to know the truth. At this rate it should be settled by the time mine arrives next month.:D

Quote:
The extra load version of the tyre does apparently does not have a noticable different strength sidewall. The main area is the bead which is beefed up to support the extra pressure that they run at. I think it is an extra 6psi, that extra load tyres need.

Nothing is said about extra pressure in the separate Renaultsport manual for the Cup suspension setup......? Just generic tyre pressure listed for the tyres... is that the case?

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_G on 25 May 2004

Quote:

Nothing is said about extra pressure in the separate Renaultsport manual for the Cup suspension setup......? Just generic tyre pressure listed for the tyres... is that the case?
That was just a general comment form michelin tech support about the extra load tyres. They require 6psi more pressure inside them. If the cup ones needed to have more air it should say in the manual...

I really now believe that the tyres on the 182 and the 182 with the cup susp pack are exactly the same.....just wish i had some real conclusive proof...

Bit of a naughty thing to advertise them with it if they have not got them...

Ford Fiesta

im still waiting for a reponse from renault UK on this one and Ill post it up here when (if) i get one. So there is a different manual you get with the car on top of the normal clio manual? and it states nothing about extra pressures! lol

Quote: Originally posted by Bradfordlad on 25 May 2004

im still waiting for a reponse from renault UK on this one and Ill post it up here when (if) i get one. So there is a different manual you get with the car on top of the normal clio manual? and it states nothing about extra pressures! lol
I have emailed too...i shall post it here if i ever get a reply.

Quote: Originally posted by CRS172 on 25 May 2004
Quote: Originally posted by deuginthesky on 25 May 2004There is an extra load version of the PE 2, the weight charge on the sidewall of the tire is "83" instead of "80" (not sure fot the 80 but Im sure for the 83).[/QUOTE]83 id the std load rating...they dont make a PE2 in that size with any different a load rating....<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">Anyone got the pictures yet?

Weird, its 80 on the MKII in France.

I started this ! and am not sure whether to be proud (I am) or apologetic (I am not, sorry RobFenn).

To cloud the waters further my 182 cup susp. has 205/45R16 83V tyres and in the sport addendum there is also a 205/45ZR16 listed (same pressures).

hmmmpppff, 45ZR16 sounds better than 45R16 to me….. but what do I know about badges, I have myself a Q car. Getting better every day.

Well finally got to speak to someone in Renault CS....

Gave them the info and they said "we will check the website and make sure the info is accurate as it sounds incorrect, we were not aware of a special tyres for the cup pack"

So unless there is any other bits of info to change the situation. I think it is almost safe to say that the 182 and the 182 with the cup pack have the same tyres....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

No they dont. the tyres are a different serial number.

i will go get it when i can be assed