ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust wrap - Thoughts and opinions please guys

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
When my 182 manifold arrives, I plan to wrap it or have it ceramic coated. The downside with the ceramic coating is the cost involved.

I have found this wrap on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exhaust-Wrap-...9QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38786QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), will it be sufficient for a 182 manifold or is it too cheap to be any good.

What are the pros and cons of wrapping? I'm aware of the bay temp' reduction but have also heard of the lagging getting damp and causing corrosion and even melted welds due to retained heat.

Opinions welcome.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Evening Kully. There's a big jump in cost with the ceramic coating. JohnC paid £180 for his doing which is 3x the price of my manifold itself.

remember another thread about this before ........ alot of hard work involved , speak to benR or fred .

80MPG BEEZA
ive just got a 182 mani cost me £200 then i've sent it to be ceramic coated which is another £180 but it means its still a better price then a new 182 manifold and it'll be black!

clio sport
hi had exaust rap on kit car and because it got wet the weld join just cracked and droped off but obvisely theres a bonet covering urs so its down to u but i then looked into ceramic coating around 160 to 200 for manifolds

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Will I see a noticeable benefit if I don't plan on tracking the car?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I'd have thought it'd make no difference bar running a little cooler at a risk of knackering the manifold, wouldn't bother on a road car personally.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I cant say how much better it is to have ceramic coating rather than wrapping, it does cost alot but there are many benifits, stops rust, reduces engine bay temps, and doesnt split the welds, heard a few horror stories! Not to mention easier, heard actually doing it is a right effort!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Should have said my comments were to do with wrapping. Don't know much about the ceramic stuff but sounds quite good, but still not really needed fo rthe road.

Chocolate Bar™
was just about to put you should paint it before you wrap it to stop it corroding before fmp stole my thunder lol. should only be about £10-20 for a couple of tins of high temp paint.

was just about to put you should paint it before you wrap it to stop it corroding before fmp stole my thunder lol. should only be about £10-20 for a couple of tins of high temp paint.

hehe your thunder , any good cellulose based paint would be ok to use

clio 200 F4Rt
gases should flow quicker through a wrapped system.

will u notice any difference on a lightly tuned engine, unlikely.

Lionel Richie
na you need to have the insides where the pipes join the flange plate welded up and then ported smooth, not 100% needed, but some i've seen are horrible and the gases just flow into the gaps which cause hot spot areas

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Will it need matching to the gasket as well or just smoothing once welded?

I am right in thinking that the manifold is stainless?

Why do you want to smooth the transition?

EX gasses do not work anything like inlet flow, they are constantly expanding.

Anti reversion properties of a large step are beneficial and there are many patented design which are specificly shaped sharp edges.

Lionel Richie
its not the step, its the gap where the pipes have been welded to the manifold flange, there'e a few gaps

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I used once this wrapp, after a hard drive the temperature in the engine bay was cooler than before, put the wrapp in the header is a nightmare due the it produce a hard itch in your hands and skin, after one or one and half year the wrapp start to break up prodicing fiber dust everywhere

Regards