ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F12 DCM 182 Trophy 309/500

Megane r26
Well seeing as I've had the car since last July I thought it was about time to start a thread seeing as its going to be getting alot of tlc soon ;)

Some of you may know me, this is my 3rd RS Clio and I've been a member since the start although only become really active recently. I really do love these little clios and pound for pound I don't think theres much out there that ticks all my boxes, there fairly cheap to run, good on fuel, fairly practical and a hoot when you press the loud pedal! What more can you want?

Before the clios I had a fairly well specced saxo vtr which I had had since I was 18 and did a few track days in, but clio wise it all started with this just before I turned 21.

A 2002 clio 172 (one lady owner 37k, fsh and standard)

clio2.jpg

It went through a few changes while I had it and ended up like this

169036_502005108862_504538862_6266678_6297540_n.jpg

181761_502006063862_504538862_6266690_1467521_n.jpg

179827_502004263862_504538862_6266669_160800_n.jpg

Was a great car and I spent a lot of time an money modifying it and working on it!

I then replaced it with this, another low mileage one owner car, this time a 197!

103_0857.jpg

DSCF1111.jpg

103_0853.jpg

Great car, great handling but the fuel ecomoney for the performance was a bit naff and with us buying our first house I sold it and bought the Trophy!

Now I sold the 197 2 weeks before my Ring trip so there was a slight bit of panic when it came to buying a car haha. I originally wanted a cup and a bit more change in me pocket but after viewing a few ruff ones I saw a trophy and I remember reading a PFC article when they were released and I just couldn't resist.

And here it is after a good clean

20120718_201634.jpg

20120718_201706.jpg

Bought it off a friendly enthuiast called glen from eckinton near sheffield, it had full service history and a load of receipts and it was clean and tidy and tucked up in a garage which is always good. After a good look and a test drive I bit the bullet and went home a happy many. Two weeks later I took it to Germany for a long weekend with the lads at the ring!

The ring shot!

IMG_3655.jpg

Was a cracking weekend and the car really excelled over there and got a bit of atention from the Belguim Renault Sport club, they were all over it like a tramp on chips haha.

Apart from take the Sachs off for winter and fit the standard cup dampers (there off to CF for rebuild this month) and a oil change and new aux belt I haven't laid a spanner to it yet just kept it clean but got some real good plans which I will be carrying out im the next few months.

Heres a few pics from the aux belt change today

IMG_20130216_115235_zps7cfbec6b.jpg

IMG_20130216_122423_zpsd00e3d63.jpg

IMG_20130216_122716_zpsf92e9147.jpg

IMG_20130216_124410_zpsbd48892f.jpg

Only took me a couple of hours as I've done quite a few of these being a mechanic an a big RS fan and also done quite a few timing belts (the correct way) as I have ALL the renault tools.

And a few more pics

IMG_20130215_110724_zpsda077d06.jpg

103_0889.jpg

103_0890.jpg

My plans are a full suspension and steering refresh

New balljoints
Inner and outer tie rods
Pure motorsport top mounts
Mark fish springs
Revalved Koni rear dampers
Piper exhaust
And a little paint work to get rid of some chips

Then decided if I want to go any further i.e cams an bodies ideally. Cheers for looking :)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
All 3 cars look good. Trophy looks a good one.

I see your crash bar has letters on it as well, mine on the 182 does too. Always wondered if it was just mine or others did.

Megane r26
Just brought powerflex wishbone bushes and a dogbone mount out the classifieds. Unused got the lot for 80quid delivered!

Gonna fit the doggone straight away but going to weld the powerflex collars on then powdercoat the wishbones and fit new bottom balljoints before fitting. More pictures soon!

Megane r26
Yes mate I also live in swad! I think I saw your car one night coming off the industrial estate at Barton under needwood one night as well? Early hours of the morning.

Yeah that'll be me, I work for Bombardier repairing trains in Barton so I work shifts.

I live on Westfield road atm but moving onto new estate near drum and monkey once the house is finished.

Megane r26
What are bombardier like to work for out of interest? Money any good?

Yeah I know where that is! I'm just up the road from morrisons.

I'm staff so not a contractor so there pretty good, I work on maintenance side so its not bad work. They look after you, bupa health care, final salary pension, full sick pay and about 28k a year basic and I only do 14 shifts a month!

Megane r26
Ah fair enough mate. Let me know if there is anything coming up though if you wouldn't mind? I'm trying to be ex motor trade myself atm! Lol

Cause not mate, I'll keep me ear to the ground. I do miss some asppects of the motor trade but I make it up when I'm off haha (atm clio sports belts seem to be the flava of the month seeing as I bought all the tooling from renault haha)

Megane r26
Well a little update today, popped round to me parents house to be greeted with a parcel :)

538092_10151745668563858_1188242380_n_zps1a92ec91.jpg

Powerflex Dogbone and Wishbone kit courtesy dave78. Going to fit the dogbone sometime this week, as for the wishbone bushes I've picked up some wishbones off here that I'm going to weld the sleeve to and get powdercoated and then fit a nice new set of bottom balljoints and then refit to the car, doing it this way so I can keep the car on the road while waiting for powder coaters.

Other then that I may give it a little clean later :)

Megane r26
Well just ordered a new pair of lemforder bottom balljoints and a pair of lemforder track rod ends using the 30% off euro car parts coupon code, quids in :) Just for new rack mounts, inner tie rods and pure top mounts. Then the dampers will be off to cornering force for a refresh and powder coating and going to order some mark fish springs and koni rear dampers!

Also bought a set of bottom arms off carbonraider (increased castor arms) that will have my powerflex sleeves welded in place and then powdercoated black. Then a nice service next month, including gearbox oil change.

So plenty of updates soon!

Megane r26
Well thought I'd post a few pics of a few more goodies thats have arrived this week :)

20130301_112810_zpseda5653d.jpg

Took advantage of 30% off last week at euro car parts so bought all new lemforder bottom balljoints and outer track rods for my suspension and steering refresh. Also my "cup wishbones/later spec" finally arrived, even though my car is already fitted with these I got these so I can weld the sleeves on for polybushes and get powder coated without putting the car out of action as its still a daily.

Just got to ring adam later at trade parts renault (autoworld) for my inner tie rods and steering rack mounts and some service bits (spark plugs, oil, oil filter, pollen filter and gearbox oil). Also picked up a set of seat belts as mine are becoming a little slow returning so I'll give them a scrub up and fit them soon. Then all I need is my pure top mounts, mark fish springs and rear koni's and get me dampers off to simon at cornering force (hopefully next month) and the steering and suspension is complete, then we can move on to the exhaust and paint work and finally the engine.

Also picked up this months evo as it was a hot hatch special and had the r26r in it and found this little trophy snippet.

20130301_072000_zpse1796484.jpg

Sadly due to time resistraints I won't be able to do much this weekend as I'm on nights :( but I will hopefully get cracking on monday and in full swing by next weekend :)

Enjoy chaps!

Megane r26
Nice desktop screen! :cool:

haha that wasnt put there on purpose, HONEST ;) The missus and her sister take the mick saying how most blokes have pictures of them and there bird and I have a clio haha

Just got off the phone with adam from autoworld renault all in stock except the rack mounts so a little trip to wolverhampton on tuesday.

Parts ordered

Oil
Oil filter
Gearbox Oil
Spark Plugs
Pollen Filter
Inner tie rods for both sides (drumsticks)
Steering rack mounts

So with the bits photographed earlier I'm gonna have a busy weekend next week!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
haha that wasnt put there on purpose, HONEST ;) The missus and her sister take the mick saying how most blokes have pictures of them and there bird and I have a clio haha

Lol! Mine is of my old car taken at the ring @ Pflanzgarten!

Sounds like a nice little list of bits and bobs you've got yourself there as well!

Last edited:
  Megane r26
Lol! Mine is of my old car taken at the ring @ Pflanzgarten!

Sounds like a nice little list of bits and bobs you've got yourself there as well!

Oh I sometimes have a picture of me coming out the karasell in the trophy to haha, yeah spent a small fortune this week but haven't had much chance to set to work thanks to working on everyone elses cars.

Some good progress. Keep up the picture updates :)

Will do, as soon as I collect the bits they'll be more pictures of them and my ugly mug getting to work.

Megane r26
Well woke up this afternoon and due to being on nights but thought I'd get up and do a bit by removing the old bushes from the new lower arms. Did it the old school way as I don't have a press so a blow tourch, grinder, hacksaw and hammer and chisel so sorted it! And my health and saftey is getting better, got away with a small burn this time haha.

So out come the blow torch and some gentle heat

20130302_134950_zps14b0b2ae.jpg

20130302_135728_zpsdc5e40c2.jpg

Sparked a fire (old man was worrying about his caravan at this point.

20130302_140242_zps13fe378d.jpg

20130302_142424_zpsc5b51429.jpg

Then out came the grinder to nip the old bushe casings

20130302_145048_zps74efe9f8.jpg

Then folded the bushes in on themselves and knocked them out and here you go.

20130302_151715_zps46fca7c4.jpg

20130302_153330_zpsb425e7d1.jpg

Told you I'd bring you some fire haha.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Fair point lol.

I was that man around an hour ago heading to my mates garage to use his press for a fvcking dogbone mount! Rage face!

Megane r26
Fair point lol.

I was that man around an hour ago heading to my mates garage to use his press for a fvcking dogbone mount! Rage face!

Yeah plus I haven't had alot of sleep so I'd deffo be raging haha.

Next weekend will be much more fun, got a 172 to lower saturday morning then all my new shiney bits to fit :)

Megane r26
Well tonight I thought I'd clean the arms up and fit the sleeves that powerflex provide (old style bushes) and get them ready for welding, as you can imagine there designed to be a interference fit but after taking a few measurements with a set of vernier calipers its was clear they would need some slight alterations to avoid any damage. The internal bore of the wishbone measured in at 44.64mm, the bushe sleeves measured in at around 45.34mm. After a little bit of work with a few fine files and some emery paper and the addition of a vice and some blocks of wood the sleeves were in place and not going anywhere.

20130304_185541_zps1508bb45.jpg

20130304_185551_zps63335917.jpg

Then trial fitted the bushes and theres a few mm pertruding which is apparently ideal so tommorow after welding the wishbones will be off for powder coating :) Also tommorow I will be picking up a box of goodies off Adam at autoworld renault.