ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failed Brembo brackets

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I think only 5000 series prevent corrosion. But 7075 is not that bad at all. I use on brakes past and no problems. Imo they fail because of over tighten the bolts, that is how pressed aluminium looks like.
5xxx and 6xxx have good resistance and are suitable for marine applications, 5xxx are better though.

Making them out of steel is no problem, I can do some to mount milled calipers to 300 discs is anyone wants to got up from 280 discs.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Not a good sight and concerning about the potential consequences! I had the PMS conversion but swapped to a 280 set up last year. TBH I don’t know who made them but they look in good order ATM. Maybe they were from this batch?!

Alloy cleaning fluids (wonder wheels etc) must make a difference on these due to the materials they’re made of?

Are there any 280mm brackets being made new by any reputable suppliers ATM?

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
IMO the best way to run 280mm discs is to mill from calipers. You can always add a washer to compensate that milling if you want back to 300mm.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have the brackets? Would it be possible for you to send them to me so I can get our engineer at work to have a look and cast an opinion?
I don’t have them yet but when I do get hold of them I’ve got no problem sending them your way if it’s going to help ensure this kind of issue is avoided in your version. I’d definitely be interested to hear the thoughts of an expert too.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Are there any 280mm brackets being made new by any reputable suppliers ATM?
@Tim. Posted this in Facebook and a guy on there said he makes them. Reputable though? Who knows. PMS may have been wise to stay away from the 280 set up, probably more so to manufacture from steel. Apart from the group buy on here I've only seen Tessa Motorsport making aluminium 280 brackets, and I don't think they are at the moment.

I planned to make some for myself in my spare time at work. I offered to make some for @Radugns after he got ripped off trying to buy some brembo calipers on here and I wasn't in a position to fit them myself, so he's been my Guinea pig too?.
Am I a reputable person to be making these? The potential for failure is scary, we can all see that. I've been a machinist 27 years now and I've machined everything from lead to inconel and made parts for military, cars, cranes, bridges, mines, construction equipment, subsea oil, nuclear and god knows what else! Who machined the ones you are using right now? Who machines the PMS ones? I can make them and I'm confident they will be upto the job, but I offer no guarantee and you run them at your own risk. If anyone is bricking it right now I'd advise going back to standard calipers. Otherwise feel free to pm me and I'll try to help out.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
@Tim. Posted this in Facebook and a guy on there said he makes them. Reputable though? Who knows. PMS may have been wise to stay away from the 280 set up, probably more so to manufacture from steel. Apart from the group buy on here I've only seen Tessa Motorsport making aluminium 280 brackets, and I don't think they are at the moment.

I planned to make some for myself in my spare time at work. I offered to make some for @Radugns after he got ripped off trying to buy some brembo calipers on here and I wasn't in a position to fit them myself, so he's been my Guinea pig too?.
Am I a reputable person to be making these? The potential for failure is scary, we can all see that. I've been a machinist 27 years now and I've machined everything from lead to inconel and made parts for military, cars, cranes, bridges, mines, construction equipment, subsea oil, nuclear and god knows what else! Who machined the ones you are using right now? Who machines the PMS ones? I can make them and I'm confident they will be upto the job, but I offer no guarantee and you run them at your own risk. If anyone is bricking it right now I'd advise going back to standard calipers. Otherwise feel free to pm me and I'll try to help out.
Mate, since I was a child I own some RC models, and currently own a small CNC that can mill aluminium ( plastics and so, but no steel or iron ) and design parts for my RC cars, none of them failed. And if someone says there are small forces, think of an 5kg object traveling with over 60mph and and jumps all rollover all the time.
Those brackets you provide to me are absolutely beautiful and beyond that are very tough. Back in 2012 (iirc) I build a bracket for adding rear calipers to a skoda fabia.

They were from 7075 aluminium, but without any paint or any anti corrosive products. It holds fine even today, I sold the car to a rent-a-car.

I am pretty sure the aluminium brackets will hold fine, but the problem was 99% over tighten the screws, and by that the pressed aluminium was beyond its properties.
And that was true, @OssPoop send me a pair of brackets to test and offer him a feedback. And I was very pleased and confident in those after I saw them that I've painted them before test fitting on the car.
If they are mill correctly, with using radios on edges (fillet edges?) they will hold up forever.
I am very very happy with them, although I prefer a little bigger lip on the discs and have a better caliper clearance. Maybe the Turinis will fit better than oz f1, not sure until next week.
Also, in Romania is "illegal" to change the brakes on your car, but when the MOT inspector saw then, genuine renault calipers, color match brackets and the brake efficiency was better then standard brakes, he has no problems with them.

Radu

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy

If you do end up making 280mm brackets anodised, add me to the list of potentials.

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Whoa! This looks like a close call. We manufacture our top mounts from 7075 and it corrodes very quickly so we cover them in oil and get them hard anodised as soon as we can.
Our brake brackets are steel and zinc plated with a colour passivation but even after the salt gets through the zinc they will last a lot longer than the rest of the Clio they are bolted to, being 25mm of billet steel! We don't make brackets for 280mm discs as these calipers and the pad shape aren't the best for going down to such a small size disc.
I would also make sure you purchase brake brackets from a company that is properly insured to design, make and sell safety critical parts, unlike many of the ebay sellers!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
No idea what make mine are but 5 years no problems or corrosion that I can see.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Are these the same as yours that have failed? They where made by Chris Powell off here.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
They have been fitted for 20k on a phase 1 I have just purchased. Was going to swap the setup onto my LY. Little nervous as to what I’m going to find when I take the wheels off ?

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Could anybody link me to the original thread of the brackets please?

Had heard whispers about an issue but until now hadn’t seen this thread.

Just wondering if mine are same as @Tim. , I did paint mine too before fitting so will inspect mine this winter.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2

Just wondering if mine are same as @Tim. , I did paint mine too before fitting so will inspect mine this winter.
Painting on the aluminium is not that easy, you need epoxy primer, very clean surface (sandblasting will be better) and then some finish coats. But this will not prevent scratching where the bolt head came into contact with bracket and could cause the same issues. If yours are fine now and are made out of 6000 series ( not 7000) aluminium, just get them anodized.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Only just discovered this thread. Mine was just surface corrosion. I have caked them in copper grease to try and remedy the issue but will have to keep an eye on them for sure. Must be from the same supplier as OP’s?

Attachments

• C168D75C-5675-4C27-823E-8F34A35FA0AD.jpeg
    C168D75C-5675-4C27-823E-8F34A35FA0AD.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 76E4DE45-46B7-43B5-A293-FC06F8574C5E.jpeg
    76E4DE45-46B7-43B5-A293-FC06F8574C5E.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 143

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Only just discovered this thread. Mine was just surface corrosion. I have caked them in copper grease to try and remedy the issue but will have to keep an eye on them for sure. Must be from the same supplier as OP’s?
Those not look great imho.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Painting on the aluminium is not that easy, you need epoxy primer, very clean surface (sandblasting will be better) and then some finish coats. But this will not prevent scratching where the bolt head came into contact with bracket and could cause the same issues. If yours are fine now and are made out of 6000 series ( not 7000) aluminium, just get them anodized.

thanks.

Will get them off and inspect. Obviously would have to get the steel stud pressed out prior to any anodising wouldn’t I. Assuming they’d take it lol.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member

Hi mate, I can’t right now but I’ll try and remember later on - I think there were a few different threads / group buys started by Chris Powell.