ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fancyplates - some (hopefully) useful info. for those thinking of ordering

Like lots of topics on here - lots of threads, but a lot don't contain any extra useful information. Being directed to the guide and then on to www.fancyplates.com is probably enough for most - but I'm a fussy sod and wanted to know more about the plates they produced before ordering.

The following are my questions, and their answers (copied and pasted from email.)

Q1 I recently had a plate made at Halfords but was dissappointed that some of the letters weren't quite straight - they said it was done manually and that was the best they could do. How do you make yours?
A Our letters will be perfectly straight!

Q2 Are the characters centralised on the plate - i.e. is the gap between the edge of the characters and the edge of the plate the same top and bottom, and left and right? (Irrespective of your own 'stamp' that you may apply along the bottom.)
A The characters will be perfectly centered on the plates!

Q3 I'd like a smaller front plate (height wise) - would the characters be reduced in size, proportionally along with the height?
A They'll be reduced proportionally unless stated otherwise!

Q4 Do the plates have the same style edge finishing (e.g. a bevelled edge) - even when made to smaller dimensions?
A Identical bevelled edge on all plate sizes!

Q5 Assuming I want a standard UK rear plate (with BSAU 145d, manufacturers name and postcode) but my own design of front plate - how do I achieve this? Would I need to order the front plate through the 'Fancy plates' constructor and the rear through the 'Standard UK plates' constructor? (and add each to the 'cart') Or can I order both using the 'Fancy plates' constructor and by leaving the rear normal size, it would be just the same as a standard UK plate?
A Order the front plate from the Fancy Constructor and rear plate from the Standard UK Constructor!

Q6 As a fully paid member of cliosport.net, I understand that I am entitled to a discount - but how much is it and how do I get it?
A When ordering mention that you are a Cliosport member in the special requirements, you'll receive a 10% refund!

I've edited Q5 - less wordy, and makes more sense. But answer still valid.

To be fair to Halfords the characters on their plate were only out of alignment by one or two millimetres - like I said I'm fussy! And they did say they'd be getting some new laser cutting system in.

So I ordered some new plates from Fancyplates. Standard UK rear. For the front I ordered 94mm by 520mm. Most on here reckon 90mm is the perfect height to fill the recess. After measuring the recess myself, and finding a post on here from someone who'd ordered 94mm - I went with that. I've no idea where anyone gets 90mm from - I can't imagine the bumper design was changed over the years. But to each their own - better to measure it yourself.

For information here are my other specifications for the front -

Characters 95% of normal size (i.e. 75mm high not 79mm.)

Centre of each character in the same position that the centre of each character would be in, if it were a standard (i.e. 112 by 520) plate. If you know what I mean :S.

BSAU 145d added to bottom right corner (er.......for no particular reason.)

Both plates completely plain - no border, national flag, or anything else.

The plates were ordered on Monday (15th) and arrived on Saturday.

The plates seem good quality, and fancyplates seem to offer a good overall service - really quick response to my list of questions.

I fitted them on Sunday using a strip of the Heavy Duty Velcro from Halfords. I was dubious about whether it would be strong enough - IT IS STUPIDLY STRONG! But don't do what I did - apparently you're supposed to leave it for a bit for the adhesive to harden before messing around with it. But I think I got away with it - seems solid enough. (Note to self - read the instructions before you start a job, not when you've finished and you're tidying up!)

I feel obliged to also add : the front plate isn't road legal - for offroad use only!

I hope some of you find the above information useful.

2nd pic for the doubters.

Attachments

• One.JPG
    One.JPG
    405.1 KB · Views: 585
  • Two.jpg
    Two.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
Fair enough. But I thought that's why some went for 84mm instead - to give a consistent gap all round. Usually people get 90mm for max. height without it hanging over the lower grill. I guess it doesn't make much difference either way.

If you go to their site, and then the 'constructor', it's split into four sections. If you order through the 'Standard UK plates' one - I think the plates are perfectly legal. If you order through the 'Fancy plates' constructor - I don't think they would be, even if you were to leave the dimensions, and everything else, as normal. Although it would obviously be up to you how far you deviated from legal in the design of the plate. But I don't think the argument that it's 'nearly legal' would really work.

For a plate to be legal -
  • the characters need to be of certain dimensions,
  • the characters need to be correctly spaced,
  • the name of the manufacturer (or supplier I'm not sure) of the plate and their postcode has to be displayed along the bottom (in the middle I think,)
  • BSAU 145d has to be displayed on the bottom right, although I think it should be preceded by a manufacturers mark - some kind of abbreviation for them, I'm not sure if my rear plate has that. BSAU 145d is the number of a Standard which details how number plates should be made to be legal for use on UK roads. It probably covers all of the above, and more (the reflective backing, etc.)
If you buy number plates in the UK you need to present proof of ownership of the vehicle (and therefore the registration number itself,) and proof of your own identity. But this probably only applies in the UK, and I don't think our government would be allowed to discriminate against plate manufacturers across the rest of Europe who can presumably manufacture plates for you without you needing to present these documents.

Don't take my word for any of the above - it's purely my opinion, based on a bit of research.

RB Clio 182 Cup
So does the front plate have no markings like BSAU 145d, manufacturers name and postcode making it illegal but the rear plate does?

I'm confused.

I want a front plate that is 101mm high and so is still legal in terms of font height and margins but I also want them to have BSAU 145d, manufacturers name and postcode so they are fully legal.

Fancyplates aren't replying to my emails tho :mad:

Apologies if I've created any confusion - I was trying to clarify things based on what I'd seen in previous threads. They put BSAU 145d on my front plate for me (as asked), but not mfr. and postcode (they wouldn't) - although for a 101mm plate maybe they would. As for them not responding to emails - all I can suggest is maybe phoning them?

To clarify a couple of my own queries -

My rear plate has 'Fancyplates' and their postcode (bottom middle) and 'FP BSAU 145d' bottom right - so I reckon it does meet all the requirements.

.........But that doesn't help with the query on the front plate. I was probably wrong to assume that plates ordered through the 'Fancy plates' constructor couldn't be legal - I guess it depends what you specify. But I don't think they would automatically add plate mfr., postcode and FP BSAU 145d - even if your design seemed legal in every other way, you'd need to ask.

You'd think a plate 101mm high was ok (79mm high characters + 2 lots of an 11mm gap to the edge, top and bottom.) From that you could assume that if you had a private reg. No. of say three characters, you could have a ridiculously small plate (with just the 11mm gap between the characters and the edge of the plate, all round.) But I wouldn't fancy trying to get away with that.

RB Clio 182 Cup
ok I see. I will post an update to let others know whether they will put their details on a 101mm plate.

Bit more info. -

When I was measuring the bumper recess on mine I noticed that it wasn't really a true rectangle. The top of the recess appears to be lower in the middle than at either end. And the bottom of the recess is higher at either end than the middle. So to measure the vertical dimension of the recess you need measure between the middle of the top of the recess and the outer (left and right) of the bottom.

If you're as fussy as I am make a template with a piece of cardboard to be sure.

Note : in my first pic there is a couple of millimetres gap at the top of the plate. I moved it up afterwards.

Last edited:
xr2racer - any chance of an update now you've got your plates? For the front did you get 101mm high, but also with all the details you wanted added along the bottom?

Last edited:
More info. - if you're using the 'Heavy Duty Velcro' (the original branded stuff from Halfords and elsewhere), then for the rear plate I recommend you don't put it closer than about 20mm to the top of the plate. That way you won't easily be able to see it when you look down on the plate. For the sides, bottom and for the front plate it obviously doesn't matter so much - leave say 10-15mm. I cut four lengths for each plate and put two, vertically, towards each end of each plate.

When you are applying it get it in the right place first time - it's REALLY tacky stuff. I used meths. to give the areas a good clean, a wipe with a clean tissue, warmed the Velcro slightly with a hairdryer and put it straight on (although weather was still cold when I did mine so needed to.)

Last edited:
Cheers, I guess I had to post something useful at some point.

Was thinking the other day I wish I'd considered getting a rear plate that was lower in height. Everyone on here says NO! - keep it standard size. I was being brave getting a front plate that was a whole 94mm high!........so I didn't give it any thought.

Great thing about the front plate isn't just that it sits neatly in the recess and doesn't hang down over the lower grill - it changes the proportions of the front of the car, makes it look wider, lower, more aggressive.

What about a rear plate 101mm in height? It's not as if a standard size plate anything like fills the massive recess in the bootlid - 5mm off the top and bottom wouldn't matter. Just a thought. And also where would it be positioned - high, low, in the middle?

I've given number plates way too much thought :rolleyes: , really need to find something better to do with my time.

Last edited:
  172 mk2
on jap cars with a number plate with 2 rows of text, the letters are not the same size as normal, how can these get away with it?

Is it possible to get a plate to fit on the front legally without having an overhang??

Fvck, I forgot about the clipsort discount, spent £35 on fancyplates last week.

Have used them a few times now and have been spot on.

howie p - as far as I know 101mm is the minimum legal height, recess about 95/96mm (as far as I'm concerned).............so no, not without some kinda magic being involved ;)

Fagan - the discount's not exactly massive, I've ended up buying two sets of plates to get one set that I like :eek:

Not a 320d
Ive just got two standard front and rear plates from them, wish id of known CS got a 10% discount.

They look fine to me. Whats the best way of drilling the plates for screws?

They both came with Fancyplates at the bottom though, which im pretty fucked off about. Might order some more. Plates seem good quality non the less.

Fiesta ST3
hmm, can they not do standard plates without "fancyplates" written on it and just the BSAU stamp and postcode? that would look better.

Not a 320d
I just wanted Clean plates. My rear is fucked, from evans hellshite, the plastic sheet came off the plate.

The fancy plates thing is really eating me up inside.

Fiesta ST3
I just wanted Clean plates. My rear is f**ked, from evans hells**te, the plastic sheet came off the plate.

The fancy plates thing is really eating me up inside.

ive just emailed them mate will let you know

worse case is just use the constructor to make "fancy" plate, but just make it plain and use legal font, that way it will come without any stamps but will cost £5 more!

Fiesta ST3
WOW, stunning response time, i asked if i could have full uk plate but with no fancyplates written on it but have BSAU and postcode.

reply:

Thank you for your enquiry.

This is no problem. Once you have placed your order just drop us an e-mail and we will amend your order.

Kind Regards

Olivia Mullin

Not a 320d
Yer they are a good company, my plates came very quickly. Just gutted about the fancyplates at the bottom lol.

Update for anyone who's interested - they will do you a plate 101mm high, with all the legally required text across the bottom ('FANCYPLATES SO8 IRL' and 'FP BSAU 145D'.) Just use the 'Fancy plates' constructor and as well as specifying the overall dimensions of the plate, ask them to also add that text along the bottom.

on jap cars with a number plate with 2 rows of text, the letters are not the same size as normal, how can these get away with it?

Is it possible to get a plate to fit on the front legally without having an overhang??

howie p - as far as I know 101mm is the minimum legal height, recess about 95/96mm (as far as I'm concerned).............so no, not without some kinda magic being involved ;)

Apologies - seemed like I didn't read your post properly the first time. I appear to have overlooked the first line and concentrated on the second.

You may have a point. I'd guess you could only get away with it on imports, if the bodywork didn't allow for a UK plate could they really expect anyone to modify it to suit? But in all honesty - don't know.

My new plates have turned up, I've messured them with this tool we use to messure bearings (Digital Vernier Caliper) and the plates they sent message 98mm. Still fit in the rescess nicely.

Think I'd be a bit cheesed off with them being 4mm out on what I'd ordered, but as long as you're happy with them.

E85 3.0i
I've just got mine which are 84mm ones leaving a slight gap - which I think looks fine. Highly recommended, even comes with screws, covers and sticky pads :)

Clio Dynamique Noir
Cheers for posting this information, very helpful!...and detailed! Wanted to know about the CS discount, but they havent emailed me back yet :( will definately be ordering my plates soon, after reading this, nice one!

They don't always seem to be the best at responding to emails - a bit hit and miss. But they seem to get the products out quickly after an order has been placed.

Only a low value item so the discount doesn't exactly save you a fortune - but better than nowt.

I recently ordered a new plate from them, turned up damaged (looked like it had been dropped at some point after leaving them and before getting to me). I sent them some pics of the damage to the packaging (before I'd opened it) and of the damage to the plate itself - there was no hassle with them, got a new one in the post to me straight away, no extra cost to me.

Depends on how the car appears on the log book. Stay with me ....

I got pulled over in my FTO a few years back, as the rear No plate had smaller lettering, and 2 rows, square plate etc. For this i got issued a ticket.
However after some digging, i found out that because my car was an import and registered as a "2 axle rigid body" as a lot of imports are, it falls under motorbike registration plate laws. Hence why a lot of jap imports run smaller/square plates.
There is also text in the mot manual regarding the size of plates and the aperture avalible to fit them into, but i cant remember the ins and outs of that.

Clio Dynamique Noir
If I order a new set with a 3/4 plate at the front will these plates be illegal and do you have to have the GB on the rear plate or can that be plain?