ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO anyone that has a ickle 1.4 16v

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Right the wife is buying a new car.

She is going for a Clio but has two choices.

1.2 16v with all the bells and whistles or

1.4 16v boggo model.

She took the curstosy car I am using out last night which is a little 1.2 16v and she was very impressed, especially when she threw it into a roundabout at 50+ and it stuck to the road like sh1te to a blanket.

I must say I was very impressed with the little brother of the 172 and would be happy using this for driving around in as it handles nearly as well as a 172 IMO but obviously lack the power of the 172.

This little 1.2 gave my a grin on my face last night as its handling was impecable and the enigine was sweet. This would easily beat the 206 1.4lx she was thinking of getting.

Now what do you guys who have a 1.4 or 1.2 think.

Buy a 1.2 16v with all the bells and whistles etc or buy a 1.4 16v for the same price with a lower spec interior ?

Renault Laguna Coupe

Vals dad has a 1.4 16v and it really goes if you give it enough revs. Cant help thinking that the Clio Extreme 1.2 16v is amazing value though. OK it helps a lot if you like blue interiors, but I reckon its quality for the price.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Mike,

Does Vals dad have a big cliosport logo up the side ? :p

I was thinking along the lines of a 1.2 16v cause it goes like stink for a 1.2 16v the misses loves the car and insurance is dirt cheap on it.

I think the 1.2 is great value as well and you can pick up a 1.2 16v Expression plus 5dr for 8k new.

Renault Laguna Coupe

LOL imagining my father-in-law at York with a big Cliosport logo on his 1.4 Alize! As for the 1.2 - what the lady wants the lady usually gets!

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Yepp agree mate.

I could be happy driving the ickle 1.2 knowing that it can do quiet a few cars into the corners :D plus we can get cheap parts and money off down reanult romford so it makes sense.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Why should your wife have the lesser car CB? Why dont you do the husbandy thing and give her the 172 and you have the ickle 1.2 Clio.

Also please stop calling your wife THE wife/missus just as you might say THE dog as MY wife sounds much nicer! ;)

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

I offered her the 172 but it only has 3 doors and no good for a family.

I even offered to sell the 172 and buy a new 5 door WRX scooby but she didnt like the shape.

I would be glad to swap and I have even said you have the 172 and I will buy a little R5GTT and mod it for the track but she is happy with an ickle 1.2.

Anyway what is lesser about the 1.2 than the 172 ? They both put grins on my face and I will drive both !

GR7

Shiny red R32

" Anyway what is lesser about the 1.2 than the 172 ?"

The engine for a start CB!

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Light the blue touch paper and boom....

The 1.2 is as good fun as the 172 IMO.

The 172 has better points and the 1.2 has better points.

cDc

182 Arctic Blue

I dont see how any real comparison can be made between the two cars. When you compare the clio to similar cars such as the pug 206, fiesta, fiat punto, yaris, corsa etc it really shines. Had an expression+ as a courtesy car and found it pretty solid although I much prefer the heavier steering & firmer ride of the dynamiques. Saw a nice quote in a review of the 1.2 16v saying how Renault had intentionally removed the redline on the rev limiter on the 1.2 to boast just how free revving the little lump it is. Free insurance a big bonus there are three people insured to drive mine - I have to prise my keys away from my father sometimes!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Id go for the 1.4 16V

In your case, look at what each car has (in terms of spec) and decide if you can live without the extras of the 1.2.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Chavyboy, Renault claim that the 1.216v Extreme/dynamique is part of the sport collection so handles differently to the expression etc. I certainly found that the steering is wieght on the extreme and not on the expression and the suspension felt softer. I would miss my toys. Were did you buy your 172 from was it from a main dealer?? As an existing renault customer I got a serious discount on the extreme. £8250 on the road, Supergaurded. Full tank of gas and Mats. You can have a platinum extreme within two weeks form a main dealer!!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

ChavyBoy

I have just sent you some pics of 172 Slayer in his new Slayermobile!

He has obviously got rid of the yellow one and now has a new red one, a bit like the CTR with a highish roof!!

Can you put up the pics for the rest to see please?

:cool:

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

GR,

My mail account is directed to another account at home and I am at work. What is the web address of the pics ?

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Err everthing. The Metro was MY WIFES (and not THE WIFES)first car now she wants a little clio. But I must say the engine on the metro is fantasic and doesnt seem to have a rev limiter either . The metro we paid £700 for and it has served it purpose to be absolutley cained but now she needs something a little more refined.

You can send me the pics but I cant host them at the moment BTW.

GR7

Shiny red R32

No response, so you will have to wait until you get home CB.

Slayers car, being a bit high in the roof, looks as though it wouldnt go round corners very quickly, but you can see what you think later.

;)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Get the 1.4 16V

Im your wife will appreciate the extra grunt when driving home with the shopping in the boot...an Im sure youll appreciate the extra grunt for when you have a thrash in it.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Im not getting that much, just a few tins of car polish, wheel cleaner etc.

ONLY KIDDING ;)

Back later.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 11 October 2002

Get the 1.4 16V

Im your wife will appreciate the extra grunt when driving home with the shopping in the boot...an Im sure youll appreciate the extra grunt for when you have a thrash in it.

Stop it you are seriously scaring me mate !

Must agree makes the trip to tescos a little more bearable :p