ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifth Gear - Williams 001 Vs. Clio 197



  Citigo
Tiff Needell was down at Castle Combe last week filming a forthcoming feature for Fifth Gear. He was test driving the 197 for the show, as part of the feature he was running Williams 001 on the Castle Combe circuit.

Certainly one to watch out for and sure to generate lots of discussion when it's shown...
 

dk

  911 GTS Cab
surprised renault let number 1 out on track its a show car.

will be a good watch, would have prefered it if they had compared it to a 182 though.
 
  Lionel Richie
dave182 said:
surprised renault let number 1 out on track its a show car.

will be a good watch, would have prefered it if they had compared it to a 182 though.
is it??? its just a 12year old clio with a few stickers on it
 
  BMW E46 330i Touring
Will be interesting viewing, they'll be proving a point of either how far, or little, hatches have come... performance-wise anyway.
 
  Citigo
Don't Renaultsport own the Williams now? I can't imagine they would be overly harsh on the 197 compared to the Williams, I doubt they would lend them the Williams just so they can **** off the 197 (if indeed they wanted to **** off the 197).
 
still, with it being Stromba's car it wont get half the abuse the 197 would be getting on brakes, suspension, tyres or gearbox... bet it didn't even see the red line! They should have used my old Williams and panned the s**t out of the 197 :D lol
 

ian Bojo 182

ClioSport Club Member
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
dave182 said:
surprised renault let number 1 out on track its a show car.

will be a good watch, would have prefered it if they had compared it to a 182 though.
They let it out before it falls appart.lol

ian
 
  williams and trophy
Funkyjahooner said:
Surely a 182 v 197 would of made a better film. Being as the 182 was the Daddy and an improvement on the old Williams ?




lmao......how little you REALLY know lol.
 
  williams and trophy
TheJesus said:
still, with it being Stromba's car it wont get half the abuse the 197 would be getting on brakes, suspension, tyres or gearbox... bet it didn't even see the red line! They should have used my old Williams and panned the sh*t out of the 197 :D lol

pretty much anyones would still pan the 197 i reckon. im told they not quite as quick as the 182s...and they no problem for a williams....so the 197 should be a walkover.
 

ian Bojo 182

ClioSport Club Member
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Will still be interesting with decent drivers rather than some keyboard warriors though

ian
 
  Astra VXR 17/05/07
2 live said:
lmao......how little you REALLY know lol.
Why ?? Wasn`t the 182 an improvement overall on the Williams ???

Or are you part of the " Im not worthy " brigade when it comes to the Williams who challenge just about everybody who even dare to suggest the 182 is a better car in their opinion ?

Seeing how a car compares to the outgoing model would interest me more than comapring it to an old model like the Williams.

Whats up next on 5th gear, Focus St v Model T ?
 
  Scirocco GT 210
Funkyjahooner said:
Why ?? Wasn`t the 182 an improvement overall on the Williams ???

It was an improvement yes, just like how the 197 is an improvement over the 182.

I can understand where the Willaims lot are coming from though, saying the Willys are better than the 182s, because the 182 lot are saying the same thing about how the 182 is better than the 197 - which is actually an improvement over the 182.


People are entitled to their opinions though.
 

ian Bojo 182

ClioSport Club Member
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Agreed and dont forget how old the willy is and what a fantastic car its prooved to be over the years.Deserves all the credit it gets



ian
 
Funkyjahooner said:
Why ?? Wasn`t the 182 an improvement overall on the Williams ???

Or are you part of the " Im not worthy " brigade when it comes to the Williams who challenge just about everybody who even dare to suggest the 182 is a better car in their opinion ?

Seeing how a car compares to the outgoing model would interest me more than comapring it to an old model like the Williams.

Whats up next on 5th gear, Focus St v Model T ?
I think the fact that you used the word "daddy" was the spark for that little comment mate not the fact that you suggested that the 182 is a marked improvment over the Williams. Which imo it is but also imo is not an improvment on the 172 in most areas.

Like you say everyone has there own opinions. :cool:
 

ian Bojo 182

ClioSport Club Member
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
And the fact you can buy a decent willy for less than 3k and it will be all over a 182 in most areas

ian
 
Really for 3K?? Would you need to do much work on it for it to run as new?



ian 182 said:
And the fact you can buy a decent willy for less than 3k and it will be all over a 182 in most areas

ian
 
They should of used a 182 Trophy, that would of been interesting. Alough EVO are not as sure about it on the track as they are on the road.

Still could live with either. I am sure with a bit of tweeking the 197 would be very entaintaing tho! and with 2-3% APR finance, renault are going to pushing them out !
 

ian Bojo 182

ClioSport Club Member
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
It may have a bit of rust on the arches but as long as its mechanicly sound i dont see a problem.They do go on and on and there are some serious high milers around

ian
 
stu_00 said:
Really for 3K?? Would you need to do much work on it for it to run as new?
I saw a totally mint one the other week, full history, no marks at all, inside was as new more or less with new seats. All the right mods, 58k on the clock.

It didnt need anything doing to it and he had at least 8k of bills etc for work done and all the mods.

Except he wanted 5k for it, which would be worth it for someone but not me really
 
  williams and trophy
Funkyjahooner said:
Why ?? Wasn`t the 182 an improvement overall on the Williams ???

Or are you part of the " Im not worthy " brigade when it comes to the Williams who challenge just about everybody who even dare to suggest the 182 is a better car in their opinion ?

Seeing how a car compares to the outgoing model would interest me more than comapring it to an old model like the Williams.

Whats up next on 5th gear, Focus St v Model T ?

sorry but i must have missed something lol.

the williams is faster...handles better...looks better...is more reliable.....than its supposed newer brother. at which point does the 182 excell in wot a hot hatch should be??


iv encountered countless 172/182s in cup f/f specs.... never had any trouble with em in all honesty.............apart from the trophies.....very capable cars. even when my cars standard ish, it has no fear of anything other then the bodied variety of f7/f4 engines.

altho on track.the coilovers do help the williams lol.



im not saying the williams will never be beaten. but i am saying the 182 isnt the car to do it.


if youv seen a newer shape clio prove it........and have the evidence....then feel free to post.


meanwhile...think about what youve been saying while watching this....

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/+clio/4/3215fec6-8c72-4658-86b3-982701045cc4.htm


;)


enjoy lol.
 

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
2 live said:
sorry but i must have missed something lol.

the williams is faster...handles better...looks better...is more reliable.....than its supposed newer brother. at which point does the 182 excell in wot a hot hatch should be??


iv encountered countless 172/182s in cup f/f specs.... never had any trouble with em in all honesty.............apart from the trophies.....very capable cars. even when my cars standard ish, it has no fear of anything other then the bodied variety of f7/f4 engines.

altho on track.the coilovers do help the williams lol.



im not saying the williams will never be beaten. but i am saying the 182 isnt the car to do it.


if youv seen a newer shape clio prove it........and have the evidence....then feel free to post.


meanwhile...think about what youve been saying while watching this....

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/+clio/4/3215fec6-8c72-4658-86b3-982701045cc4.htm


;)


enjoy lol.
what does this video prove?:S
 

ian Bojo 182

ClioSport Club Member
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Also 2live both races i had with a willy in my old 182 were outright wins for me.This was on a D/C in a straight line.I dont want to hear about twisties or any s**t like that.Foot to the floor and going for it.
And dont tell me about yours because it wasnt standard.
That said it wasnt a million miles behind me,but it was behind me and falling back to some silly speeds(twice)

ian
 
  CS Dungeon
ian 182 said:
Also 2live both races i had with a willy in my old 182 were outright wins for me.This was on a D/C in a straight line.I dont want to hear about twisties or any sh*t like that.Foot to the floor and going for it.
And dont tell me about yours because it wasnt standard.
That said it wasnt a million miles behind me,but it was behind me and falling back to some silly speeds(twice)

ian
Do we really need to start posting the 1/4mile times too, at the Mk1 v's Mk2 event?:rasp:
 
Ok, people have obviously forgot this is a TV feature.

A 197 v 182 simply isnt as interesting as the 197 v a Williams. People know they will be very similar, what will this prove??

The theme is can a 12 year old hot hatch, considered the best ever made, be as good as the new breed, not "is this as good as last years model?"

And how can the 182 be 'the daddy'. Generically speaking, its more the grandson, LOL
 


Top