ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flame Red DCi 172 Rep.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I've spent 1k already on pd parts for the conversion. Haven't even got the uprated clutch yet and that's 800 on its own

drive shafts custom made ( vw gearbox bolt flanges to dci hub cups ) are 200 a side.
The list goes on. Hope to get it done in time for CSS. Good 8 months away.
car is stay stock outside as in so less delay

yeah the chassis leg bit worries me, how much to take off is abit hit and miss, plus the front end needs brace'no (sp ) to make everything straight
what else to hold an engine in with 400nm haha

Titanium 182
Yeah man thanks, I've got a finish in the post so when that arrives I can start getting the shape for it and that, cheers for the help.

Many.
I've spent 1k already on pd parts for the conversion. Haven't even got the uprated clutch yet and that's 800 on its own

drive shafts custom made ( vw gearbox bolt flanges to dci hub cups ) are 200 a side.
The list goes on. Hope to get it done in time for CSS. Good 8 months away.
car is stay stock outside as in so less delay

yeah the chassis leg bit worries me, how much to take off is abit hit and miss, plus the front end needs brace'no (sp ) to make everything straight
what else to hold an engine in with 400nm haha

Engine conversions ain't cheap, Been there, done that, got the memories and skint'ness to show for it!

I don't think cutting the chassis leg should be too much of an issue, get engine in and work out how far it has to go to be level etc and then cut it out, Can always not go as far as you think you need, then enlarge if needed.

I don't really plan to strenghen the front end, I know from previous experiance with Corsa B's that it takes big power to start ripping them apart, and I view a Clio as a lot stronger, bare in mind the Non-sport shells are very similar to the Sports, so I only plan a couple of bits, around engine mounts and such. I still want it to crumple when I crash it!

Edit: Nah I haven't got any diagrams for the clio other than what I've found/been sent on here, Nowt to do with Imob :/

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Good point, if it doesn't hold up to a pd engines torque, I'll beef up the mounting points.

theres two ways to hold a pd tho, side mounts like a dci or lower rear mounts ( mk2 owners do this ) and no side mounts BUT I'd need a golf subframe

yeah I've got the diagram for the imob it's self but I don't understand that bit. I've started to figure out the cluster configuration

Many.
Subframe would surely be even more hassle?

Imob I can imagine to be a pain in the ass tbh!

In other news.....

Finished this up this morning, Plan to fit it asap, then paint disc edges, and at some point in the not to distant future polybush it.
D8732EFB-A170-406D-8860-3B210F9B8A7C_zpswrvjljs6.jpg

Also have a 172 Master Cylinder and servo to fit at the same time, although I'm keeping an eye out for a 197/200 MC, since I believe they are a straight fit and 24mm ID rather than the 172's 22mm. Unless somebody knows otherwise/another MC that'll fit with no issues?

Now off to get on with the other Clio's on my drive!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Looks mint ! Need to do this to mine , although I've recently put new shoes and drums on the back

yeah golf frame will be a pain. I'll figure it out. Might make a new subframe to hold everything with abit more wider track than a 172
I might just short the imob out aswell lol

yours a sunroof model? I want to put a new skin on mine to get rid of the sunroof. Funking leaks

Many.
My drums and shoes are in amazing condition tbh, No idea when they were last changed, but when my ABS broke recently I was locking the rear before the front! However, I like the look of discs (what can I say, I'm a bit gay) and it obviously adds to the sport rep-ness.

Hmm, Just get 172 stuff tbh, You'll end up having to make it so strong and heavy to support the mountings further out, although you could go a little bit, as even with wide track, you'll want 25mm spacers or so to get nice fitment.

Yeah it has a sunroof, doesn't leak though. I plan to get a new roof skin fitted in the new year when it gets resprayed, but I need to sort everything else out first!

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Great thread. Just read through it.

Im on team silver wheels though.

Look 10x better than that anthracite / dark gray. :)

Many.
Great thread. Just read through it.

Im on team silver wheels though.

Look 10x better than that anthracite / dark gray. :)

Cheers very much buddy. Yeah I'm now decided on Silver wheels, One of the grey will become a spare (although planning to repaint first) and the other I'll keep as a spare somewhere. Need to find another Silver wheel!

I looked at the rear beam again, and then looked at my car, followed by a huge grin on my face. Decided to fit it, there and then.

So......
672B7595-4F47-4414-8B45-C2D2E707D64D_zps9qrhhoqr.jpg

Bye bye to these!
F81415F1-AD14-4669-8E68-46AE9080A294_zpssc4nws0k.jpg

9A247EB3-BF4B-4EAC-B3BC-D1AC9CAEA5F4_zpsbygqxiyv.jpg

Springs and shocks dropped, handbrake cables removed, ABS sensor wiring removed, Pivot bolts removed, and then the brake lines
2200A7D6-D21F-429F-A22A-19AD99AC51C5_zpst2qzcs4s.jpg

And gone!
2FB65978-83AC-4858-929A-3E66B4D0D240_zpsymp2lxkt.jpg

Fitted braided lines to the beam, and a pair of wheels so I could just roll it in
94590AF1-6232-4BC9-8C2F-580349229390_zps2eh66j3y.jpg

Pivot bolts in, brake pipes connected, Springs refitted, shock bolted up
7EF75E78-FC6D-4946-9990-91921F607BE8_zpsxb0w3per.jpg

Done!
91B8A8DF-1D03-440A-86AF-9902A66E07CD_zps7mbln1up.jpg

Fitment is sooo much better, but thats also due to 10mm hub spacers I got off Dmallet ages ago!
DF8AA771-6C54-4191-811B-02261BBB328C_zpsxdebvt21.jpg

9636880C-1666-425C-B4B0-C61972337E50_zps9yc6ywou.jpg

This picture is terrible, but you can just about make out the arch lip, which being a non-sport, isn't rolled, so I'm borrowing an arch roller off a mate to roll them slightly, not looking to go completely flat with them, just a little roll, much like a sport.
BFF59A42-06C8-496E-ABDA-8D6ED00AD683_zpsc17crgse.jpg

Only problem is now, the front needs more spacing and it already has 25mm fronts!
09B0FD88-2ED0-4C7F-BA5F-89F1E944D376_zpsfntvcmjs.jpg

On the test drive, the brakes are sharper, most likely because there was some air in the rear system before, and bleeding has removed that, I could do with bleeding the fronts again now. As I obviously haven't changed the MC or servo yet, I'll see how it goes with this MC and then perhaps change some point soon.

All in all, a good Boxing days work, Gearbox removed from the Iceburg 172 and now this.

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Bloody hell Alex, you don't hang around. Dare say this is now better than West Renaults old dCi and that takes some beating!!! :)

Many.
Nice progress mate. Tbh I didn't doubt that you'd have a few days off!

I didn't plan to do my own car during my time off from normal work, but I just couldn't resist!

Hes got nothing else to do suprised he didnt do anything on xmas day tbf hows your flumps?

I actually built most of the rear beam yesterday, before playing GTA lol Flumps are good, although lots have gone.

Bloody hell Alex, you don't hang around. Dare say this is now better than West Renaults old dCi and that takes some beating!!! :)

I'm uselss at sitting around! I aspired to his car when I first started. Once this is resprayed, I think it'll be amazing.

Good to see it going to use on a splendid car!

Glad you think so :)

Many.
Streamline Carbon fibre exhaust trim turned up yesterday, to replace ParisPeach 's 182 trim which I stole (and still haven't given back, How can I if I haven't seen him?! lol) Need to stick it on, Any suggestions anybody?
5E4CB35D-F757-4A8A-AA89-EC7EFC3725C0_zpsuhh4chhi.jpg

Got a few bits to fit over the next few days, Extra Caster (182) Front wishbones, along with a nicely refurbed subframe, and the front gearbox mount (Non-sports don't have one, but mine will!), Just need to find time alongside the other Clio's I've got to fix!

Many.
I think I have a tube in my toolbox buddy. I shall look tomorrow. Also need your paypal ;)

I'll see about buying some anyway, and I'll PM you in a mo :)

Rear never rubbed on my ph2 , though I did run OZ F1's

Rolling the arche's will look good though!

Sports have a slight roll on the rear arches from factory. Hence why no sport will have rubbing issues with that amount of spacer.

I don't plan to go flat with them, just a half roll, much like the sports.

Plan to change the subframe this afternoon!

Streamline Carbon fibre exhaust trim turned up yesterday, to replace ParisPeach 's 182 trim which I stole (and still haven't given back, How can I if I haven't seen him?! lol) Need to stick it on, Any suggestions anybody?
5E4CB35D-F757-4A8A-AA89-EC7EFC3725C0_zpsuhh4chhi.jpg

Got a few bits to fit over the next few days, Extra Caster (182) Front wishbones, along with a nicely refurbed subframe, and the front gearbox mount (Non-sports don't have one, but mine will!), Just need to find time alongside the other Clio's I've got to fix!
might pop round in a bit.

Many.
Seem to be posting here everyday at the min! I must love it again?!

Yesterday, I failed to get pics, but I changed the subframe and wishbones (182 Cup stuff), So now run some extra caster, and have finally sorted the front gearbox mount, not that I have pics. Took it to get tracked up this morning too.

Then beside playing GTA today, I washed it once the weather improved, Last wash of 2013, and it wasn't a good one, its cold and I'm lazy!

But I did go get some pics, as its mostly done on the outside.
AFD1BEDC-7B75-490F-A4E0-2F42A56F6135_zpsjj8orvdj.jpg

5993DB1F-A772-4D5D-BFE2-83BE5A42D3A6_zpsggiar6xj.jpg

C2474373-CDCE-4B9B-8873-658DAF1E9472_zpsfoyqvdmx.jpg

B6EE212A-2B94-4F10-99B5-092A53D92E13_zpsdtuwktgg.jpg

657A18D9-24D8-424E-ADD2-8AB894BE8A56_zpsxqex8ii9.jpg

381C743A-7096-4817-9326-70DF9D21E872_zpseg7kpp0s.jpg

What seems like ages ago now, I fitted Cruise Control, I love it! ABS light is on due to not sorting out the rear sensors yet since swapping to disc
1894AB30-1E54-4CE5-8CEF-390803A866D2_zpsvx71baul.jpg

Come a long way since this... Hard to believe this was less than 12months ago (was still standard until April!)
E0B87198-120C-4B30-8741-EA78A6E87E28_zps7phz0j6x.jpg

Plans for 2014 are respray (paintwork is terrible, been keyed etc), remap or engine conversion (1.9/2.0 DCi) and to tidy it up a bit more, we'll see.

Many.
And too keep the wheels silver ;) Gotta love a bit of daily posting!

Looks so different on the last pic!

Having four silver wheels on it, it does look much better, much fresher. Need to sort tyres now though!

And yeah, I can't believe how much its changed tbh.

Do the engine conversion first before the respray, get the bay painted after cutting it haha

My plan is to respray it first, exterior only, then do the bay when I do the conversion. I don't want to be doing the conversion in winter, or do that first, as while it'll be epic, I'll appreciate good paint more I think.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I see what you mean. I'm in desided wether to paint the bay silver or white so I can work on the engine easier ... Ie oil leaks lol
which the 2.0 dci's do allot ;)

imo 1.9 dci conversion as there's forged internals ready for those

What sort of power will this run after the conversion?

The car looks great as ever! You've really pulled out the stops and made it the best rep going, looking forward to 2014!

Many.
I see what you mean. I'm in desided wether to paint the bay silver or white so I can work on the engine easier ... Ie oil leaks lol
which the 2.0 dci's do allot ;)

imo 1.9 dci conversion as there's forged internals ready for those

I hate mismatched engine bays tbh. My 1.5 is amazingly dry considering the miles its done and how little its had done!

I don't think I'll need to worry about forged internals, I don't intend to take it that far!

What sort of power will this run after the conversion?

The car looks great as ever! You've really pulled out the stops and made it the best rep going, looking forward to 2014!

Really depends. Out of the box the 1.9 will be 120bhp & 200 lbft (that figure might be wrong), with a decent FMIC, decat, decent exhaust and remap, 150/160bhp, 240/250 lbft.... Or 2.0, out the box 150bhp & 250 lbft, and with the same mods as above, 180bhp & 300 lbft roughly. Although the 2.0 will cost at least another grand to do vs the 1.9. I would love for it to be quicker than a 182 while returning 60mpgh lol!

Thank you very much buddy :)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I hate mismatched engine bays tbh. My 1.5 is amazingly dry considering the miles its done and how little its had done!

I don't think I'll need to worry about forged internals, I don't intend to take it that far!

I don't really like miss matched bays but I don't want an engine conversion in a black engine bay , for the fact I can see feck all in there lol

Haha point proven, I would go 1.9dci mate, cheaper and easier. Will drop straight in aswell apart from the box.
Injectors from a BMW 320/330D will fit aswell as the Bosch pump for more power

Just getting the last few bits for mine. But undesided wether to go 220hp/420nm
Or just stage 1 with 180hp 350nm
Would love a D5 out of a lolvo but that's taking the piss

Btw can I put your style cluster in my dci if I code it with cLip or my Delphi computer?

Many.
I don't really like miss matched bays but I don't want an engine conversion in a black engine bay , for the fact I can see feck all in there lol

Haha point proven, I would go 1.9dci mate, cheaper and easier. Will drop straight in aswell apart from the box.
Injectors from a BMW 320/330D will fit aswell as the Bosch pump for more power

Just getting the last few bits for mine. But undesided wether to go 220hp/420nm
Or just stage 1 with 180hp 350nm
Would love a D5 out of a lolvo but that's taking the piss

Btw can I put your style cluster in my dci if I code it with cLip or my Delphi computer?

Yeah with black I can understand. At least if you keep it black you can get away with boggo gloss black lol.

The 1.9 is winning so far tbh. Moreso the fact can pick up a laguna cheap as chips. I reckon it'll still take a bit of hassle, A/C and alternator stick out a hella long way, and I want to keep aircon! Gearbox as you say tho, is gonna be the pain, cables, hydraulic clutch, cutting chassis, driveshafts, no idea what else!

Wonder what sorta power I could push it to with those injectors/pump etc?

Go for stage one, then increase it, else you'll get bored of the power too quickly!

Don't know tbh, I had to program the dials for the Cruise Control, but there was very little options, seat belt warning, clock or not, cruise control and a couple of others IIRC, nothing about mileage etc, Guess you do that another way. Plugs are different too btw. Only one way to find out!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
You'd go 180-200bhp on those injectors pump from a BMW. The point with Bosch is there's so many nozzles to choose from, it's what you want then you spec them.
That's where the dci 1.5 falls short , no nozzles can be found easy

So I'd say different nozzles, Pump ( loads of types on the R series pump )
Hybrid turbo and FMIC

Proper beefed up clutch/ solid mass flywheel( dual mass will fail epically at 180hp onwards )

You'd be pushing 200+ safely with a 6 speed
340-370Nm or near if the box can handle that torque
Drive shafts won't be hard custom ordered but not. Cheap
Erm and yeah the aux bracket/set up will be fun. Custom set up would be the only way.

Think I'll leave the pd lump stock for a while til I know it's all running sweet, plus it'll be a fun car to drive even with 130hp stock power , recon I'll be able to lite the wheels up in third easy
Then again I will have the issue of the alternator trying to mash the rad up with how tight it will be. Cutting it close with a shallow sump and cam cover to bonnet clearance

When you get round to it, let us know and I can go the company near me and get custom shafts made up or the 1.9 to 1.5 married and balanced properly
Know a few contacts up here who come good on ' Motorsport ' developments

Many.
You'd go 180-200bhp on those injectors pump from a BMW. The point with Bosch is there's so many nozzles to choose from, it's what you want then you spec them.
That's where the dci 1.5 falls short , no nozzles can be found easy

So I'd say different nozzles, Pump ( loads of types on the R series pump )
Hybrid turbo and FMIC

Proper beefed up clutch/ solid mass flywheel( dual mass will fail epically at 180hp onwards )

You'd be pushing 200+ safely with a 6 speed
340-370Nm or near if the box can handle that torque
Drive shafts won't be hard custom ordered but not. Cheap
Erm and yeah the aux bracket/set up will be fun. Custom set up would be the only way.

Think I'll leave the pd lump stock for a while til I know it's all running sweet, plus it'll be a fun car to drive even with 130hp stock power , recon I'll be able to lite the wheels up in third easy
Then again I will have the issue of the alternator trying to mash the rad up with how tight it will be. Cutting it close with a shallow sump and cam cover to bonnet clearance

When you get round to it, let us know and I can go the company near me and get custom shafts made up or the 1.9 to 1.5 married and balanced properly
Know a few contacts up here who come good on ' Motorsport ' developments

I'd be well happy with that kind of power, Would be cool if it was faster than a 182 lol.

130 will be a good starting point if nothing else. Get a smaller rad, its not like a diesel gets hot enough to need such a big rad to start with.

Yaah will do, I'm unsure when its gonna happen yet, sometime in 2014 though! Happy new year!

Looking good! Wish I made mine a sport rep now! What size spacers are you running on the rear?

I never intended to make it a sport rep but glad I did, I love it. It has a disc rear beam now, which is slightly wider than a drum beam anyway, plus 10mm Hub spacers.

Today, ParisPeach popped round, which meant I could finally get a half decent vid of how it sounds, You'll have to excuse his commentry... :rolleyes:
Video31-12-2013123310_zpsdfa23540.mp4.html
th_Video31-12-2013123310_zpsdfa23540.jpg

Happy new year people!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Is that decatted? Swear mine sounds louder lol

Will tag you in my thread tommorow after I've take a few photos of its first 2014 clean up ;)

Yeah BMW injectors fit with abit of machining to the clamps that hold them. Easy enough to get hold of parts. 206 HDI owners know all the contacts for hybrid Bosch parts

Yeah might run a smaller rad, the mk2 golf boys say the pd engine hardly gets past 90*c water temp in the mk2 bay do can't see it being much more in the Clio.

Mines getting the go ahead Assoon as I've cleared the two engine rebuild jobs at work.... Both diesels and timing chains :(
happy new year to you to bud

Get on TDOCUK! The world of diesel freaks lol

Many.
Haha you never gave me my trim back!!

Yeah I realised after lol

Is that decatted? Swear mine sounds louder lol

Will tag you in my thread tommorow after I've take a few photos of its first 2014 clean up ;)

Yeah BMW injectors fit with abit of machining to the clamps that hold them. Easy enough to get hold of parts. 206 HDI owners know all the contacts for hybrid Bosch parts

Yeah might run a smaller rad, the mk2 golf boys say the pd engine hardly gets past 90*c water temp in the mk2 bay do can't see it being much more in the Clio.

Mines getting the go ahead Assoon as I've cleared the two engine rebuild jobs at work.... Both diesels and timing chains :(
happy new year to you to bud

Get on TDOCUK! The world of diesel freaks lol

Is decatted yeah, Its a lot louder than it appears in that vid.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I can't think of a better rep on here at any point in the last 10 years, superb work. Just get the sunroof removed when you get your respray ;)