ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

George's TURBO 182

George's turbo 182 project.

I have owned my FF 182 for over 3 years now, I purchased it as a 40k mile - full service history car and it was in pretty good condition for its age.

Initially the plan was to keep it completely standard and up until now I have done reasonably well!

Firstly the exhaust started blowing, so I chopped that in for a scorpion rs192 - which has been great tbh and I didn't have half the fitment issues that most people seem to? Then, one of the welds on the catalytic converter started leaking - after welding it twice I decided to replace it with a scorpion de-cat.

Servicing in my ownership has been done by Mick @ Diamond Motors (whom I cannot recommend enough!) and the car has never wanted to for anything.

Last year Russ (Midlands Car Care), spent some time making the car look a lot fresher: (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...-Black-Gold-RS-Clio-182-RaceGlaze-Black-Label!!)

I have replaced the standard steering wheel with a Sabelt one, which has been modified by me to keep cruise control.
8970374336_845bde5b47.jpg

So that pretty much brings us up to date;

BG FF182
Eibach sportlines
Scorpion RS 192 (with de-cat)
Sabelt steering wheel
Phase 1 gearstick
Mintex 1144 pads and brembo HC discs
MAD spacers (20mm hub centric front and 10mm hub spacers)
Full service history.

8614902010_eeea678265.jpg

Untitled (this is how she normally looks tbh!)

Then at the end of last year Chip (legend - really nice guy) offered me a ride in his phase 1 turbo (this was pre-diff and forging) so I popped down to Staines.

Frankly it was hilarious! I decided from then on that I needed to turbo mine, so over the past 8 months or so I have been accumulating the bits I need and I am starting the build (from the comfort of my own home) in the next two weeks.

Specification of build:

Engine:
Wossner 8.5:1 83mm forged pistons
Forged H beam conrods
ARP 2000 rod bolts
Genuine Renault big end bearings
Genuine Renault main bearings
Genuine Renault head gasket set
Genuine Renault Oil squirts x4
Genuine Renault timing belt kit
Genuine Renault oil pump
Genuine Renault water pump
Rs lower inlet
Second hand R26 injectors
ARP head stud kit
Pistons weight matched and balanced
Con rods weight matched and balanced
Crank pulley keyed to crank
Crank fully balanced with flywheel
Standard Ph1 head
Powder coated rocker cover and sump
Block refreshed in black paint

Every Ring, bearing, gasket or seal is brand new on this engine. It was built by mike (from MWM) who has been massively generous and helpful in terms of advice and putting up with my persistent questions!

On top of this I have purchased a phase 1 fuel feed and return and the uprated fuel pump from the engine dynamics kit.

As well as uprated engine mounts and a polybushed dog bone.

Turbo:
GT2860 with 62 trim inlet wheel in a .86 A/R exhaust
housing - supplied new by CR turbos

Intercooler and exhaust:
Purchased from the engine dynamics kit, along with pipe work and exhaust fittings/pipes

Engine management:
Undecided

Brakes:
406 Brembo callipers with braided lines. (possibly changing to willwoods to keep my 15" winter wheels and tyres)

Gearbox:
Undecided - options are either to diff a standard box or to stump up the cash for an 02m gearbox conversion. This will be in the spring now.

I think that's everything! But there will be plenty more to add over the coming weeks - thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Good plans George shall be following this.

Do you have any more details on the steering wheel and cruise? Interested in doing it myself.;)

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Sounds great plan. Il be following. Turbo is on my wish list but new house has to come first.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Very good spec and very similar to mine.

I am using an adaptronic ecu if that's any help.

Thanks for the comments guys. I am sure I'll be asking you lots of questions!

Subscribed, I like the cruise control mod! Does this mean your keeping cruise control and a turbo?

Fingers crossed. The gen90 would allow me to keep cruise but I am hoping to be able to keep the cars standard features with the adaptronic ecu.

The ultimate aim is to keep the car looking as oem as possible.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks for the comments guys. I am sure I'll be asking you lots of questions!

Fingers crossed. The gen90 would allow me to keep cruise but I am hoping to be able to keep the cars standard features with the adaptronic ecu.

The ultimate aim is to keep the car looking as oem as possible.

Personally I would be inclined to wire an aftermarket in kind of semi-piggyback, so it does the engine, and the standard ecu does the throttle and clocks (and hence cruise), but its likely to put a dashboard light on if you care about such things?

Personally I would be inclined to wire an aftermarket in kind of semi-piggyback, so it does the engine, and the standard ecu does the throttle and clocks (and hence cruise), but its likely to put a dashboard light on if you care about such things?

I 'think' that's what Chris @ EFI suggested to me and is probably the route I will take to be honest.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I 'think' that's what Chris @ EFI suggested to me and is probably the route I will take to be honest.

Yeah, Scoff did mine piggy back for this reason. No lights on dash but as mine was a cup I had no need to worry about CC.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Yeah, the only thing on mine that didn't work was the fuel consumption calculator computer thingy. Everything else worked fine.

Just a quick question:

I am waiting on a set of R26 injectors - which mike has promised to send me.

Are there any other options available? I am thinking of the injector failure that chip suffered on his turbo and I am fairly keen to avoid that!

Slight change of plan with this now.

Originally I was going to build the car and have it trailered/drive to have the ecu and mapping installed - however, I am not desperately keen to drive the car any distance and my options for trusted mappers locally aren't huge and certainly aren't close by.

So - The car is now going to Andyrg on Tuesday to have everything assembled and finished.

Which means the car will be up and running far quicker than if I was doing it and clearly Andys experience and professionalism will only benefit the build.

Roll on Tuesday!!

clio extreme
very good spec list!

Sorry, poor Renault knowledge - but let me get this straight, Renault make crown coolers for these engines?

I went to huge lengths to make some for my 1800 Vauxhall engine...

May I ask why you went for the GT2860, and not the RS?