ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

harness fixing for mot?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
ive currently got harnesses in the 172, one side is clipped to the little hook under the seat that is fixed to the floor and the other side of the harness is screwed through the subframe hole attachement and held tight with a bolt and nut.

would this be suitable to pass an mot?

SL370113.jpg

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i have one where the seatbelt clip bolts to the subframe,
and the other where the end of the seatbelt bolts to the bottom om of the b piller,

would that pass??

TrackCar & F30 330d
Maynard - are you seats bolted to the floor?

I'm glad you asked this question as i'm fitting my harnesses monday :) and did wander if it would pass the MOT with them in. (mine will be slightly different though)

Qashcow
yes i think they will, they have to be secure to the car so can see no reason why not.

my drivers rear 2 bolts are into the original rear seat belt fixings and the front ones are bolted through the floor where the old std seat fixings are, with spreader plates under the car

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yeah the seats are bolted to the floor, custom x-low subframes using the 4 original bolt hole fixings.

the other thing im unsure of is the other side of the harness is only clipped on the the hook underneath the seat, and that hook is bolted to chassis floor.

so i presume this will be ok, fred seems to think so, but can any mot testers confirm it? peperami maybe?

Artic 182
Although from a scrutineer's point of view it'd fail. Because if the seat rips up, so will you. The harness is suppose to secure you and the seat to the floor. Like a spinal board effectively. Which wont work if your face becomes a steering wheel

M2 Competition
Although from a scrutineer's point of view it'd fail. Because if the seat rips up, so will you. The harness is suppose to secure you and the seat to the floor. Like a spinal board effectively. Which wont work if your face becomes a steering wheel

But it secures in the same manner as a seatbelt... which on one side is attached to the seat itself also.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
But it secures in the same manner as a seatbelt... which on one side is attached to the seat itself also.

so in theory it would be safe enough i guess?

as an mot tester would you say i am ok to clip the harness to that hook bolted to the chassis under the seat?

Clio Cup,Leon 1.8T,Eunos
Technically the seatbelt should be E approved as well, which I think means a 'clip' rather than a buckle (to fasten)

But I've yet to have a tester look at the labels.

Artic 182

I said from a scrutineers point of view. If you rocked up to a rally with a standard seatbelt you'd get laughed at:clown:

2002 Cup172
The hooks are there for harness attachment so your all good there.

and as long as one bolt of the harness go's to the main part of the car ie the pillar standard fix point and one to the seat subframe you'll pass.

the reason they are set like this in the first place is in severe accidents the seat will twist a therefore pull you away from steering wheel and dash board and towards the door.

but im lucky anyway no MOT at all ever where i live so can do pretty much whatever i want to a car lol

Peace!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Technically the seatbelt should be E approved as well, which I think means a 'clip' rather than a buckle (to fasten)

But I've yet to have a tester look at the labels.

yeah the harness needs to be E or ECE approved i think it's called which basically means it needs to have a normal seat belt buckle to connect the harness together and this clips on your lap.