ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Harphamominom's Ph1 Project - sunflower content p12 onwards

Yeah, was from ECP. I ordered the size you said Rhys, so the M12 was it?! I don't think that I checked it, as I assumed from the ordering online, they'd pick out the right part. Not a size smaller lol.

The problem with it, is that it has play where it is secured to the hub. You can move it slightly up and down (which is probably what the knocking sound is that i've heard). It could be a case of not having it in there and pinched properly, or ECP have f**ked up and gave me the wrong part.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Take some pictures of the balljoint and fitting etc?

Are the bolts 12mm yes??? Not 10mm.

What did you do exactly to fit the balljoint?? i.e give me a quick process.

I bet you've got m10 bolts, or not done the pinch bolt up tight enough?

I've got work soon, so ill (i.e. my dad will) have to get under the car tomorrow.

Ill check everything with my dad. He fitted it all. I have no real idea of process etc. I was with him for part of it, but had to nip out mid way through him fitting it.

EDIT: I'm guessing it's down to the pinch bolt, as that's where all the movement is, so not in properly or something. Ill ask about bolt sizes though and check them out.

(I was actually hoping that the knocking sound was something with the suspension, that had been exaggerated since changing the ball joint, as then id have a real excuse to get coilies LOL)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Bet you've not pushed it far enough in to the hub before securing the pinch bolt so it's sort of just sat there. Either that or as Rob has suggested, it's not done up tight enough.

If you ordered the M12 online then you may still have got the M10 one. They are retards sometimes. Usually it says the size of the bolt on the bolt head though?

It better be that it just isn't fitted right. I really cannot be doing with having to buy another one, as I think it's a little late to exchange it LOL.

Ahh well, a weekend without a car is going to be fun.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It better be that it just isn't fitted right. I really cannot be doing with having to buy another one, as I think it's a little late to exchange it LOL.

Ahh well, a weekend without a car is going to be fun.

Follow these steps.

1) loosen the wheel nuts on side that's affected.
2) Jack car up
3) Remove wheel
4) Remove pinch bolt.
5) Make sure the ball joint is pushed into the hub up to the recessed bit where the pinch bolt will sit.
6) Tighten up pinch bolt
7) Check 2 bolts on the wishbone are correct size (sure they say what they are on top and check for play and tighten)
8) If all is well put wheel on
9) Lower car back down
10) Tighten wheel bolts

The above should take you literally 15-20 mins tops.

Cheers for that Rhys (I wouldn't trust myself to do it, but when my dad is doing it, ill make sure that he's doing it right lol).
Either way, ill still be without a car. MOT has run out now. Don't really want to risk driving around too much without one. An extra £45 is enough to pay out ;).

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for that Rhys (I wouldn't trust myself to do it, but when my dad is doing it, ill make sure that he's doing it right lol).
Either way, ill still be without a car. MOT has run out now. Don't really want to risk driving around too much without one. An extra £45 is enough to pay out ;).

Not that I'm condoning it but it's a £60 IF you get caught. You'd have to be unlucky too as it doesn't show on a PNC check.

Didn't have one for 6months (genuinley forgot about it) and actually got pulled twice in that time (both times because the police watched me leave a pub and get in the car and drive but I hadn't been drinking), neither time did it come up, and they checked pretty much everything, tax, insurance, tyres, the lot.

340i
FFS, how have you managed to f**k this up Paul? :eek:

The ball joint is literally a 15min job...

I always use GSF as they supply the proper TRW ball joints, but they should all be the same meh.

If you're really struggling with it give me a call, I might be able to pop over this weekend.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

The ball joint is literally a 15min job...

I always use GSF as they supply the proper TRW ball joints, but they should all be the same meh.

If you're really struggling with it give me a call, I might be able to pop over this weekend.

TRW ones?

I've always been told/read that it's the Lemforder ones you want.

Not that I'm condoning it but it's a £60 IF you get caught. You'd have to be unlucky too as it doesn't show on a PNC check..
Plus invalid insurance if I crash?! Meh, I won't be driving it around, not worth it, plus it's not something to advertise on a public forum either if I was going to lol :rasp:.
I didn't fit it, so it isn't my fault :eek:. Gonna get it sorted tomorrow. Ill give you a bell Kieran if we get stuck, see if Gray Motorsport can add any knowledge to the situation lol.

340i
TRW ones?

I've always been told/read that it's the Lemforder ones you want.

hmm.. I've always been told TRW are the correct ones?!

But which is the best.... I guess there's only one way to find out?

19_harryhillfight.gif

340i
Ive just bought the lemforder ones two ball joints & two track rod ends £83.40 didnt think that was too bad compared to renault prices.

Thats pricey IMO.

Just looked through my old invoices from GSF...

Pair of ball joints - £32.40

Pair of track rod ends - £22.80

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Thats pricey IMO.

Just looked through my old invoices from GSF...

Pair of ball joints - £32.40

Pair of track rod ends - £22.80

It's circa 21 for a ball joint (singular) from ECP, as people know, you get what you pay for? I had nothing but trouble with my GSF balljoint last time.

Well, that should be problem solved. f**k knows how it was wrong in the first place. Now though, there is no play and i've took it for a quick test drive and there wasn't any knocks, so all should be good in the hood.

MOT Round 3 on Monday. What's the betting that he'll find something new to fail it on??

I'm assuming so. I went and bought another one this morning, just incase it was the wrong part or something. We took the pinch bolt out and the threads we're totally fucked?! so fitted the new bolt and ensured everything was tight/no play. All is good.
Suppose this is the price I pay for being pikey and asking daddy to do things for me ;).

Fingers crossed. I will actually flip if it doesn't. Booked in for Monday afternoon.

I want to start doing s**t to this car, rather than wasting money on extra MOTs.