ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heat soak in a 172/182 engine bay ? Project for my dissertation

Does the Clio 182 suffer from heat soak?

• Total voters
  FF Inferno 182
I am at university studying Autosport, and for my dissertation I am creating an intake system for my 182.
I need to prove there is a market for aftermarket intake systems, specifically to avoid heat soak and optimise cold air flow.
If it all goes well i will make a thread to show you all how i got on, and hopefully I get some good results.
Thank you for your time.

FF Inferno 182
Basically I am trying to stop heat from the engine getting to the intake system and warming up the air.
Warm air into the engine isn't bad but if the air was cold then you would benefit from it, especially if you had forced induction.
The colder the air is when entering the engine, the better!
So my project is about reducing this problem and hopefully creating a system that provides colder air to the engine for more power :)
If you could answer yes it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Already been done.
There's a thread on it somewhere with the best system to use and system placements etc.

FF Inferno 182
  FF Inferno 182
In your poll above, are you reffering to heatsoak with standard setup, or with IK fitted?

I have to prove there is heat soak occurring and then design a new system to avoid it.
I have a crazy idea, to use the air from the air conditioner to cool the air or even use that air and circle it round and put that straight into the system. Its something that i will have to research tho the gains might not out way the power loss of using the air-con.

FF Inferno 182
no worries, look forward to seeing what you can come up with!
cheers man, me too!
My mate is doing a 182 exhaust for his dissertation and we are thinking of optimizing them to work together when we have finished.
Just to see if we can get any more power :)

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I have to prove there is heat soak occurring and then design a new system to avoid it.
I have a crazy idea, to use the air from the air conditioner to cool the air or even use that air and circle it round and put that straight into the system. Its something that i will have to research tho the gains might not out way the power loss of using the air-con.
I considered a similar idea a few years back based around an N/A engine and an intercooler.
Basically working on the principals that even though there is no forced induction, the intercooler would cool the air going into the intake, therefore making it more dense.
Didn't really get much further with it that than though lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What would happen if you Bolt a hair dryer set on cold to the inlet manifold?

FF Inferno 182
I considered a similar idea a few years back based around an N/A engine and an intercooler.
Basically working on the principals that even though there is no forced induction, the intercooler would cool the air going into the intake, therefore making it more dense.
Didn't really get much further with it that than though lol

Yes I am thinking the same thing.
Its something that definitely needs researching, I have 10 months so we shall see.

RB Clio 182
Buy a dwarf from Thailand, sit them on your gearbox and tie wrap their neck to your inlet manifold, then tell the to vigorously blow down your throttle body while sucking on a mouthful of ice cubes! Cost ~ around a tenner all in.

FF Inferno 182
But surely if it's NA and you put an intercooler in, all you're going to is starve it because there's no pressure?
Yes your right.
The idea is a bit out there, and I would have to come up with a solution to that if I choose to go forward with it.

BG Clio 182 FF
Intercooler idea is silly. Nothing to pull air through it.

This type of set up works well on saxo's and pugs.

100_0400.jpg

FF Inferno 182
Intercooler idea is silly. Nothing to pull air through it.

This type of set up works well on saxo's and pugs.

100_0400.jpg
Thanks for your reply, I am starting to think that it might be more hassle than its worth haha.
That looks awesome! Very tidy.
I hope to end with something like this, as long as its successful then i will be happy.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
intercooler mod on an n/a car is a silly idea as you can only cool it to ambient temperature at best case scenario! Better cutting a hole in your bonnet and mounting a filter outside lol

I voted no, but I think the question is vague.

The OE intake, IMO, won't suffer much if at all from heatsoak whereas aftermarket induction kits/cone filters do as per Fatty's article. The question doesn't really acknowledge there are already a number of options that have different results though.

I've always wondered about the teflon gaskets...they seem too thin to really insulate, and is the air in the intake long enough to heat up significantly anyway?

You can get some thicker gaskets than what k tec sell and they work quite well in reducing heat transfer

GruppeM intake is gorgeous, price tag, not so much!

Would not be that hard to make a far cheaper version