ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heavy, sticky accelerator fixed - £18

172 Mk2 Ph1
Bought a throttle cable for £18, followed the 'how to' from here, ok so it took an hour and a half, but I couldn't feed the bloody new cable past the green thingy arttached to the disc brake which runs inbetween the bulkhead and the engine insullation stuff!!

Anyhow, my first bit of car mechanics and it's worked a treat, can now lightly feather the throttle when pulling away and in traffic with no problems, or sticking at all.... get in.

Cheers everyone for your help, I love it when a plan comes together.

Alex

Next the exhaust and the dogbone mount, if I can ever figure out eventually which one to bloody fit!!!

Clio RS mk1
alexst said:
Bought a throttle cable for £18, followed the 'how to' from here, ok so it took an hour and a half, but I couldn't feed the bloody new cable past the green thingy arttached to the disc brake which runs inbetween the bulkhead and the engine insullation stuff!!

Anyhow, my first bit of car mechanics and it's worked a treat, can now lightly feather the throttle when pulling away and in traffic with no problems, or sticking at all.... get in.

Cheers everyone for your help, I love it when a plan comes together.

Alex

Next the exhaust and the dogbone mount, if I can ever figure out eventually which one to bloody fit!!!

Where can I find that "how to"?? I got the same sticky accelerator problem (plus sticky clutch pedal)...

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
There is a member's guide...so I guess its gonna be a fiver for you young Sir to get the info!

You need to join to get access.

Donny

Clio RS mk1
...really :) I'm new here, a bit alien yet... A fiver plus the price of an accelerator cable, as just have dismounted it and learned that nothing else could solve the problem but changing it. If is does...

172 Mk2 Ph1
Yeah mind you hand when your feeding it back though, got loads of bloody little cuts on the back of my hand, shouldve worn gloves.

Clio RS mk1
Bought a new accelerator cable, and replaced the old one today. Same s**t. I even tried to put grease in it, even on the butterfly valve's (I don't really know if this is the english word for the thing that the cable is attached to) spring and the accelerator pedal's axle. And worse than before, if it's possible. HELP, if you have any more ideas!

172 Mk2 Ph1
Not sure, sounds like its not the cable though, your obviously getting resistance from somewhere else. Sorry mate, my technical knowledge is limited, maybe someone else can help??

172 CUP
I cant find this guide anywhere I have just paid my £5 to try this my self but cant find the guide and ideas where its hidden.

Steven

172 CUP
did a search and went through all 8 pages with the word "accelerator" and found nothing thats a guide just this post saying about it and joining etc.

At least im a member now but will prob just change the cable my self and work it out im sure its not to hard.

172 ph1
The only slightly tricky bit is where it goes through the bulkhead, I couldn't get to it from above - you need the arms of inspector gadget.

Jacked it up a bit, reached around the wheel and peeled the wheel arch liner back and did it from there.

Clio RS mk1
The butterfly valve has a double spring. My serviceman took one out to see if it helps. Result: much lighter accelerator pedal - but after engine and car is warmed it gets sticky again - and now having less resistance because of weaker spring, sometimes it sticks at 2000-2500 rpm.

I've gone through Dialogys, not a single word on this problem.

Considering to have the whole butterfly-item changed...