ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed !! MP3 or Changer

Ok I need to make a decision - I have a 172 but only a single CD player. My options are add a CD Multi changer or get an MP3 player - both sony options with adaptors and instalation come to about £200 (well £200 for Changer and £220 for MP3 player) from Halfords - I know I could prob get them cheaper else where - but I want someone else to do the instalation.

So which is the best option ??!! - I cant makeup my mind ...

I went MP3 simply because I carry two or three discs in the glovebox which gives me 27 albums to go at and the fact that I dont have to have a changer in the car. Plus you can always add a cahnger later if you want.

If you go MP3 Id fit it youself, the Sony will have ISO plugs and it will plug straight into the Clio plugs behind the original radio/CD. Check ot MCS Direct, I got a CDX F7700 for 212.00 quid, Halfords are doing the F7500 for 300 quid.

Thanks dangermouse_se - my only worries with MP3 are if you have X number of albums on one disc what is it like to navigate thru to the track you want - and what is the quality like ?

Quality is fine, Most are easy to navigate through to find the tracks you want, just put the albums in folders.

Quality at 128 kbps should be the same as CD quality, Deffo get an MP3 player, CD changers take longer to swap from cd to cd than to find one track on one CD.

PLEASE DONT GO TO HALFORDS, buy the unit off the internet and instal it yourself or if your local ill do it. Its really easy, two big block plugs and its done.

Yeah the only way round that is to record the whole mix as one MP3. Its the same if you listen to live album but the benefits outway that imo.

Navigation is easy, it works just like a changer, button for album skip, button for track skip (remember to put the albums in folder like Pete_172 said - I put the alnums in artist folders too so they stay together). The Sony Adaptors from Connects2 let you change album from the stalk but make sure its the MP3 compatible one.

Clio 197

Get MP3 head unit + MP3 changer...

Then you can have all your music in your car, and change the CDs once in a blue moon....

Money was tight so I went for MP3, but will add a changer soon enough...

Despite getting 8 HQ albums in one CD, I still have to change sometimes, and isnt a safe thing to do while driving.... better have it all there at the end of your fingertip.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

What you want is a harddisc based HU, no need to change discs ever!

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 22 June 2004
<!-- ZoneLabs Popup Blocking Insertion -->Get MP3 head unit + MP3 changer...

Then you can have all your music in your car, and change the CDs once in a blue moon....

Money was tight so I went for MP3, but will add a changer soon enough...

Despite getting 8 HQ albums in one CD, I still have to change sometimes, and isnt a safe thing to do while driving.... better have it all there at the end of your fingertip.
<SCRIPT language=javascript></SCRIPT>

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by dangermouse_se on 22 June 2004
I went MP3 simply because I carry two or three discs in the glovebox which gives me 27 albums to go at and the fact that I dont have to have a changer in the car. Plus you can always add a cahnger later if you want.If you go MP3 Id fit it youself, the Sony will have ISO plugs and it will plug straight into the Clio plugs behind the original radio/CD. Check ot MCS Direct, I got a CDX F7700 for 212.00 quid, Halfords are doing the F7500 for 300 quid.

If I get a new Sony HU will it plug straight in without any additonal adpaters then?? I know I need an adapter if I want to use the display and remote but can I buy that later and use the HU in the mean time?

Yes you can, actually the adaptors for the HUD and stalk plug straight in too, (I think you used to have to take the dash top off?). If you just want to fit the Head Unit its two plugs (one for all the power and earth connections) and the other is for speakers. There will be a spare yellow plug (hud and stalk remote - just ignore it). Then you just plug in the aerial and your off.

The stalk / display adaptor I got plugged into the remote socket and the CD changer socket on the head unit, you then connect a wire to the amp remote wire coming out of the head unit (which is loose not in the ISO blocks) and then connects to the Renault plug (the yellow one you ignored above) and your in business.

[Edited by dangermouse_se on 22 June 2004 at 4:13pm]