ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with buying myself a machine polisher

Ok im looking at this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meguiars-G220...CarParts_SM&hash=item2303937768#ht_4875wt_991

What else would i need with it, is that a polish and wax it comes with ? Are the pads ok or would i need more ? Im also going to use it to correct headlights so is this fine as a starter kit or would i be better of buying a few more pads ?

Another question. My roof is matt black really faded due to sun when its wet it looks fine so just wondering will polish shine it up, i will be getting it resprayed.

Thanks

Hi buddy, there is no wax in that kit, only a polish and a glaze.

I would personally buy this kit;

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...iars-g220-complete-menzerna-kit/prod_414.html

Purely based on the fact that I found the Megs twins to be quite oily. The Menz polishes are very good. You will also need spot pads if you intend on polishing your paint work for those hard to reach areas (bumpers, wings, a/b pillars).

With your second question, does this mean you are getting resprayed, or you will if the colour doesn't come back? Is it painted? Is it laquered?

Thanks mate, so i assume i will only need the gloss and then the finish ? Yeh and i will just polish roof for now and in a few months get bonnet and roof sprayed, my roof has no lacquer and its got grey patches over it. Bonnet has no shine to it and stones in it lol where i think its been sprayed outside, any ideas on that ? Im going to post some pics up when i go on laptop. Thanks for the help.

No the power gloss will be a little too harsh IMO, but you get power finish (203s) with that kit, which is a super polish.

Re the bonnet and roof, it there is no laquer on the parts, don't polish it. You will just stain it or rip the paint off. I could do with photos to get a better idea of exactly what you're working with :)

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Actually, forget about that JD. Just been reading Dave KG's guide to DA Polishers on DW and it seems the Megs polisher is one of the most popular!

The DAS and Megs are (if memory serves) actually made by the same company, just branded differently. If this is no longer the case, in all honesty, they are much of a muchness, so either or.

And don't forget to look in the Cleanyourcar sticky thread at the top of this forum for your discount code from Tim at CYC :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yah they are the same JD. As are most fricking Polishers these days!

Good starter kit that and with more practice a lot of correction can still be done using one.

I like using them with pre-wax cleansers!

I just bought the g220 on its own with 2 pads (1 polishing,1 finishing),what would you recommend, i just want to polish and protect, im really tempted to buy AG SRP and a HD wax.

E87 118d M Sport
I would say get some Menzerna P0 203S (Power Finish) mate.

Then any wax or sealant that tickles your tastbuds.

Any other recommendations for a polish, im buying from an ebayer seller and trying to save on postage and he doesnt do menzerna ? and im looking at the Megs nxt tech car wax 2.0 any good?, i use that with machine right ? And yep gettin the backing plate and spot pads :) thanks

I wouldn't get the tech wax. What do you want, long lasting, looks or both?

The Megs polishes are OK, but the Menzerna polishes are better and easier to use (IMO).

Try not to limit yourself like this buddy. Simple fact is, not all suppliers will have the products you are after. I still have to shop at three different places.

I would decide on what you want, find all you need from one store, the rest from the next. It's the only way to do it.

Seems the only way, i will get the menzerna power finish from another place and still dont know what wax to use are they all for machine polishers ? And thinking of it now i need a wax that will be ok for the spanish winter rain (very dirty and sandy) but still want a shine. Hmmmm seems quite hard lol.

Ok so heres everything i have ordered, (not paid yet so can still add) the g220 with 2 pads, the menzerna power finish,ag hd wax, spot backing plate, 2 spot pads. All setting back at 293 pound without postage (damm) Anything else or is this a good start i might add wheel brush,tyre shine and bug n tar remover with order. O and it comes with 3m masking tape.

E87 118d M Sport
Just going back to what you said in your last post mate, dont apply wax with the machine. Do that by hand.

no i dont even know what that is, is it like wax ? o yeh i was going to ask aswell since i wash it with a wash wax mix, do i need to clean car with washing up liquid to get rid of all wax etc, or would the autoglym body conditoner be ok ? thanks jd and markie for all help.

No issue buddy, all here to help.

Claying is done to remove microscopic contaminants off the paint surface. Think about a razor on your paint surface "cutting" all the lumps of sap, tar and fallout.

It helps to make the surface "glass smooth".

No to the Fairy - this is chatter about whether it does or doesn't contain salts which could scratch the paint. AG bodywork conditioner is not a great product. What wash shampoo are you currently using?

E87 118d M Sport
Yeah I wouldn't be too hasty to machine polish without claying mate. Imagine picking up a bit of tar and whizzing it around on a pad at 1000rpm. Then using that pad all over your car.
If you do a little research on youtube youll get the idea with claying in less than 5 mins. And to clay a car only takes an hour really (you can clay windows and alloys too).

As far as shampoo go, Zymol and Dodo juice do them, so if the eBay guys sells it, just grab one of those. sub £10 and both great products.

im using kraaft wash and wax, would you recommend me to use the clay ? and would it go like this wash,clay,polish,wax ? what shampoo would you recommend for a clean surface to polish etc on ?

DCi 100
Claying is done to remove microscopic contaminants off the paint surface. Think about a razor on your paint surface "cutting" all the lumps of sap, tar and fallout.

I'd just like to clarify that a razor is in no way a replacement for wax!

Some information on how to know if all the contaminants are gone and grades of clay wouldn't go a miss. :)

I'd just like to clarify that a razor is in no way a replacement for wax!

Some information on how to know if all the contaminants are gone and grades of clay wouldn't go a miss. :)

Shush you ;) Oh and I'm going to send you a "you were right" PM in a sec, diseasel related ;)

Claying is the use of, as it sounds, a piece of clay. Clay has very sharp microscopic "blades" that cut across the surface of the paint. Anything that sticks up, out of place of the flat paint surface, will get removed. So tar, sap, fall out etc. The clay bar will look dirty, showing the contaminants removed;

View attachment 45775

Meguirars Quick Clay Kit will suit your needs just fine. Have a search on youtube;

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...e=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=vid:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=iv

yeh i will deffo be getting a few of them, so wash ,dry? clay, wipe off, polish, wax ? and i will just get the dodo born to be mild seems good.

Wash, clay, wash, dry, polish, wax/seal.

The reason for leaving the car wet when you clay is so that you keep a bit of lubrication between the paint and the clay bar. You will need to use clay lube anyway (comes with the kits mentioned above) but this just adds to it to make it as safe as poss.