ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do I sort my lean?

For a while now... when I'm doing track days, etc... I do get some rubbing when I'm turning heavy into a corner and it's sooo frustrating because... the car's only lowered 30mm on Eibach springs on the 16" Turini's with standard shocks...

20090905_ccactionday_193.jpg

(Enjoying a bit of cocking the leg)
26690-2.gif

fcs-100613.gif

How do I sort that lean so as in... stiffing it up so the wheels don't sink into the arch as much? When I was down at Rentech, Mike said that it shouldn't lean that much with those springs so I don't know what to do. It happens a lot at Castle Combe (Quarry corner... for those who know it) and it also happened at FCS, Rockingham.

A group of us are off to the 'Ring in August for the third time running and ideally, I'd like to sort it before we head out there.

Ph 1 172
get decent adjustable coilovers,(and setup by mark fish, think loads of people on here swear by his work. although i have never had any work done by him) would be good if you do a lot of track days

I wanted to try and avoid going down the coilover route due to finances, but if that's the only suggestion... then I'd have to look into it. As for track days/events... I'm probably doing them approx. 4/5 times a year as well as the 'Ring.

Inferno 182
refit your original springs?
you will find that the standard set up is quite adequate for you on track unless you are driving on the absolute edge

Trophy #473
Roll is fine, dont bother with getting new suspension if you do the odd track day, spend the money on some track wheels and tyres.

My T has just as much roll as yours:

DSC_0326.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Anti-roll bar and coil overs, if you make the dampers to hard then it can make the car skitish at least with a bit of body roll you know when you are on the limit.

260% JCW
You dont need different shocks, just stiffer spring's. Standard, Eibach ect were all to soft IMO. Im thinking of getting some from this place www.dfaulknersprings.com.
If you still want it for road use though it might be a bit harsh.

Dodgy one
If you're going to fit stiffer springs you WILL need to uprate the dampers as they wont be matched

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
get decent adjustable coilovers,(and setup by mark fish, think loads of people on here swear by his work. although i have never had any work done by him) would be good if you do a lot of track days

^^^This. Get a decent set of coilovers fitted.

I was behind you for a few laps at Castle Combe, and was rolling around a lot into some of the corners.

260% JCW
He's running 16's,

Shocks and stiffer springs will sort it, or as stated Coilovers. Even with coilovers though mine still leans a bit.

Yeh so your pics... are similar, if not worse than mine whereas I got rubbing and you don't :(

I have noticed that on the NSF archliner, there's a little bit of plastic that was covering sharp edges to some metal. I think that bit of plastic use to catch so it has now been removed, which has now however exposed the metal :s Surely my springs (NSF especially) shouldn't compress that much!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
As has been said, you need to uprate to a higher poundage springs and stiffer shocks.

So coils look to be your best bet.

Give Mark Fish a call, see what they recommend

A few thoughts:

• 'Lowering' springs with no change in rate won't change the amount of roll, but you may find the effect detrimental if you start rolling on to bump stops.
  • If you change to stiffer springs you need make sure you get the front/rear ratio correct. You should also have dampers designed for the stiffer rates. Springs tune the chassis, dampers control the springs. Remember, ARBs are springs and the same applies to damper rates when changing ARBs.
  • Sticky tyres will increase roll. More lateral acceleration (g) will increase the roll angle.
  • Lowering the car can increase the amount of roll if you go past the envelope to which the chassis was designed.
Phil

This is a pic taken from Castle Combe this weekend...

IMG_4207.jpg

The car was again scraping on the NSF. Now there can't be THAT much bodyroll... can there?