ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to make a williams engine from a 1.8.....

go down to ur local breakers, and find a 1.9 clio or 19 diesel engine. hand over a few notes, then take it home. the bit ur after is the crank, bin the rest. then pull out the 1.8 crankshaft from ur 16v, stick in the diesel crankshaft, and voila, uv no got a clio williams engine-well of sorts anyway!! the only difference being the williams had higher lift cams. u could do it for 500quid! nice! the above process is a little simplified, but its along those lines!!!!LOL

jimbo

but i thought the diff in the 16v and willy engine was the cylinder bore,not stroke?besides the diesel engine is 1.9cc,the willy is 2.0!

the 16v has a bore of 82mm, whereas the willy has a bore of 82.7mm. after few thousand miles both bores would be similar!!

the 1.9 crank is only 1.9 cpacity becus in the diesles the bore is only 80mm, in the willy the bores are wider. with the near 83mm bore and 93mm stroke(10mm up on the 16v) it equates to sumthin like 1992cc, which in joe bloggs terms is 2litres.

the only thing that would need to be checked are the big end and main bearing shells on the two parts. new shells could be fitted to be on the safe side. new big end and main bolts are ur away!

jimbo

BMW 320d Sport

You do it first, then Ill do it as well if it works. What about that 1.9 td gearbox, is the only difference between that and the Willy box the lack of a speedo cable output?

Sounds like a piece o piss. Theyll be doin one on Blue Peter next week!... and heres one I prepared earlier, yeah right.

So weve finally found a use for diesels!!

Wont a longer stroke give you more power at high revs but less at the bottom end? or am I thinking of something else?

Would you have to re-chip after the conversion?

a longer stroke crank will give u more torque thruout the rev range, due to extra leverage provided by the stroking of the engine. u get an extra 10mm travel per cylinder with the 1.9 crank.

the only need for a re-chip would be for use under full throttle, cus thats wen the ecu runs from its fuel maps. under normal driving conditions, the fuel intake is determined by the lama sensor, and map sensors. but id get ir rechipped, a willy chip would do the job.

jimbo

if this is so good how come no one has thought of its before since the 16v has been around for quite some time now and how come hill power aint doing this conversion

wongy

but jimbo look at it this way,have u ever seen an F7P engine or any engine for that matter with the head taken off and on tdc?the piston top is exactly flush with the top flat surface of the block,try putting in the diesel crank with 10mm longer stroke and youd have the piston protruding 10mm up past the top of the block!i dont think the valves would be too keen on that!lol

the crank adds the extra 10mm stroke to the bottom of the piston movement. tdc stays the same height, its just the piston moves further down the bore an extra 10mm.

well if u look in the willy mag review section on this site, u will see an article from ccc a few years ago, sayin how the willy engine differs from the 1.8. a diesel crank was used from the 1.9 clio.

and as for hill power doing the conversion, well u best ask him!! but then again wat wud u rather sell, a whole new megane bottom end for 2300quid or a new stroker crank for a 5-700quid conversion??? i no where the monies at!!

jimbo

Thats rubbish, you cant just add 10mm to the bottom of the bore. The crank doesnt alter is length as it goes round!

If the difference is 10mm then it would be 10mm top and bottom. The only way to get round it would be to physically lower the crank its self which is not practical as you would need to move the mounts lower in order to do this. Not worth it at all.

Question: Have you ever taken you sump off to see how the crank is fitted?

ya maybe a diesel crank is used,but a TALLER BLOCK is also used for the longer stroke!u cant bung a longer stroke crank into a short block,simple as that!

Why not just replace the glow plugs with sparkers, fit a coil and ignition system and run the thing on petrol?... and heres one I prepared earlier!

williams and trophy

errrrrrrrrr sorry to spoil the party but ive known for 2 years that a willy 2.0 engine is just a bored n stroked 1.8 using the diesel crank and possibly rods, and that also (apparently) the wider track of the williams is because reno 19 bottom arms are used (front obviously)
jon

exactly!!!!! the f7r engine is an f7p with a wider bore, .7mm, and a longer stroke. the block is exactly the same, just a different crank is used.

cus the same principle is used in the 1.4 and 1.6 energy engines. the 1.6 has got a longer stroke, becus its uses a different crank!

jimbo

Jimbo,

If changing the crank increases the stroke by 10mm down then it must also increase it by 10mm up, and seeing as the pistions are flush with the top of the block at TDC theyd protrude by 10mm if you changed the crank. If however the crank lowers the piston by 5mm, so the volume of the cylinder is increased when the piston is at the bottom this wouldnt increase the capacity of the engine as you havnt increased the swept volume.

well, a few months ago, sum1 i new asked nick hill bout using the block of a 1.8 as a donor to all of the internal gubbins for his nakered williams engine. nick sed it would work real good, and he could still use the original starter motor!! so the block isnt the problem at all! if u read the aritcle on this site it mentions that the 1.9 crank is the only thing used, the standard 16v conrods are still used.

http://www.cliosport.net/articles/williams-2.asp

i cna understand wat u mean, but from wat ive agthered thats how most engines are increased in capacity and u dont need longer blocks or watever???LOL

jimbo

Someone needs to ask someone whos in the know about these thngs, Nick Hill would be the first port of call i guess. If this does work then I think Id be up for trying it.