ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I think my hand break cable has snapped

Yozza'd Titanium 182
In a stationary position with 2 people in the back of the car (182 phs 2) Didn't realize hand break was on and started to drive...

A loud snapping noise came from were the hand break cable is located.

The actual hand break lever now lifts up more than usual, and when i drive and lift the hand break up pretty much nothing happens. (the car dips down on the passenger side as if that one is still working to an extent.)
However when the car is at at stand still and the hand break is on, the car will stay in one place.

Can anyone shed some light on how i can check this, how much it will cost me, any pointers, tips or advice will be greatly apritiated.
Thanks

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
One side sounds as if it has snapped if its holding on the other (it splits into a Y formation). £25 from Renault, better replacing both.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if your running standard suspension you can do it with 2 wheels on the kerb and 2 wheels on the road, lying under the car, first time you do it can be fiddly, after that its easy! sure theres a guide on here somewhere
as danny said, replace both as the other one is always a few weeks away lol

Yozza'd Titanium 182
The car has been lowered so not running standard suspention. I do have a good set of axel stands and a nice garage to do the work.
So i presume that it has snapped were it connects to the rear breaks?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive done it the way I described on a car running sportlines im sure! anyway axel stands gives better access was just a tip to save you a bit of time lol!!
yeah it snaps at the bit it goes thru the rear calliper usually!

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Oh great new's. Thanks for all your help mate.
How is it attached to the rear calliper?, and i cant see anything dangling from the bottom of the car

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
it connects the same way a clutch cable or bonnet release cable etc connects, you will see on the inside of the callipers there is an arm that comes out that activates the handbrake, the cable goes through this.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Ok il get it jacked up tomorrow and give it a whirl, one last question, other that the axel stands what tool will be needed?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
few years since ive done it but from memory its either a 10 or 13mm on the adjuster under the car above the heatshield, ive never done it on a 182 so not sure if you need to drop the exhaust and move the heatshield etc, from memory on a 172 dropping the rear and middle exhaust mount gave a bit better acess.

If you are running a catalytic converter you may need to drop that out the way.

I managed by just removing the heatshielding from above the decat on my 182.

It only a 20 minute job :D

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
If you are running a catalytic converter you may need to drop that out the way.

I managed by just removing the heatshielding from above the decat on my 182.

It only a 20 minute job :D

lol, it's about 18 inches back from the cat that you need access. Easiest way is to undo the cat to center section join (new bolts at the ready as they will be rusty) drop the heatshield (not the one above the cat, the next one back) and you will see where the cables hook in. It's a 13mm you need, get a ratchet spanner or a deep socket. You can do it without dropping the exhaust, but it gives you a lot more vision and access so saves time overall

RB 182 Cup
lol, it's about 18 inches back from the cat that you need access. Easiest way is to undo the cat to center section join (new bolts at the ready as they will be rusty) drop the heatshield (not the one above the cat, the next one back) and you will see where the cables hook in. It's a 13mm you need, get a ratchet spanner or a deep socket. You can do it without dropping the exhaust, but it gives you a lot more vision and access so saves time overall

I second Dan, I found it a pain to attach the cable to the handbrake mechanism under the exhaust. I didn't drop the exhaust and my fat hands struggled for about 45 minutes trying to align the cable.

Definitely buy genuine Renault, I bought pattern parts originally and they were always too long by about 6-8"