ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

Cup In bits
Looking at the pictures a 2nd time Mark, you have the o-ring fitted wrong on both pictures, it would go around the sleeve and the cv joint will seal against that or thats what I would do. A small amount of oil will come out when changing the shaft, only what's been allowed between the sleeve and splines and then held in the splines

BMW Z4
Looking at the pictures a 2nd time Mark, you have the o-ring fitted wrong on both pictures, it would go around the sleeve and the cv joint will seal against that or thats what I would do. A small amount of oil will come out when changing the shaft, only what's been allowed between the sleeve and splines and then held in the splines

Not sure I agree with that buddy. If you push the O ring up onto and over the sleeve then when you put the the shaft on it will push it hard against the black seal face and then it will rub away at the seal as it rotates. That can't be right. Also why machine a perfect fit slot that the O ring sits in perfectly if that's not where it goes? When I took that standard box off that's where the O ring was sitting, in that slot.

Moot point really with regards to the gripper shaft and its splines..

Lionel Richie
that O ring has nothing to do with keeping oil in the box, its just a dust seal, mine came off years ago and still doesn't leak

£3k for a gripper Mark? Is that the gold plated special one?

BMW Z4
that O ring has nothing to do with keeping oil in the box, its just a dust seal, mine came off years ago and still doesn't leak

£3k for a gripper Mark? Is that the gold plated special one?

Fred everything on my car is gold plated LOL. Nah it was new gearbox, gripper, gripper Shorter final drive kit, £2750 ish all told but I like to round up ;)

Cup In bits
I was on the phone to gripper and asked about your leak. That sleeve shouldn't come out, its meant to be pressed onto splines of the diff with loctite then an oil seal seals around that. O-ring is just to stop water and dirt and stop the shaft knocking against the box. O-ring goes around the sleeve.

Sell me your box, save you the hassle of fixing it ;)

BMW Z4
I was on the phone to gripper and asked about your leak. That sleeve shouldn't come out, its meant to be pressed onto splines of the diff with loctite then an oil seal seals around that. O-ring is just to stop water and dirt and stop the shaft knocking against the box. O-ring goes around the sleeve.

Sell me your box, save you the hassle of fixing it ;)

Yeh that's what K tech have just said. Might be a box out to fix job then, poo..

TrackCar & F30 330d
Oh what a pain that gearbox has turned into! Motorsport at its finest once again. Hope you had it sorted in time for your next race! Race today? or next month?

That V6 looks mental but theres no fun in buying a race car ;)

BMW Z4
So Brands Hatch. Not as cold as Snett but a LOT wetter and typical for Brands hatch a LOT more slippery too! A dissapointing quali session saw me down in 9th (not used to that) No front end grip at all although this time the back was a bit more planted. We had softened the front right up and I think that was a mistake as I then had no turn in.

Race start and normal nerves although a bit less than Snett. Off the line my launch control decides to stick on and limits me to 4000 rpm, thankfully this clears by Druids and we are away. I had loads of electrical problems probably down to the damp and my wiper was seriously pissing me off along with intermittent radio to pit comms too.

I don't think I have ever seen so many crashes and I only just missed a couple myself in the early stages of the race. Nico my team boss pitted me at the last second under saftey car and this allowed me to jump from 11th to about 4th and I set about chasing the BMW down so I could take 3rd place. We were having a great battle for a few laps and Nico was on the radio telling me to overtake him as we only had 6 mins left and me being me took that quite literally and went right then and tried to throw it past him at Paddock hill, probably the scariest corner in motorsport as you approach at 120mph (in the dry) to a blind crest and then it drops away down hill to the right, all you can see is the barrier in front of you approaching rather fast lol. My thought was Ill go wider this time and cut back to get better drive down the hill, missed my braking point, locked up and then went straight on. I remember thinking this might hurt if I hit that at 90 but the car dug in and turned round in the gravel and then nearly just nearly rolled over (twice I have nealry done that now). Quite impressive to watch I'm told. Bollox I said LOL. But I smilled and laughed and had fun and that's all it's about really. Even Lewis does not finish every race so that makes me feel better :)

25th overall after losing 5 mins in the gravel so not bad. So season was

Brands hatch 28th
Silverstone 2nd
Cadwell 1st
Snetterton 1st
Brands hatch 25th

Seems that Brands has become my nemesis circuit. Looking to new and exciting things for next year, maybe even an endutance race :)

Video to follow tommorow, its epic.

It is increasingly looking like I am building a DC5 for next years racing, sorry Tony I know that's your nemesis car LOL. I have been looking at megannes too (big arse shape) Part of me will be sad if I do as I won't be able to post my build in here LOL. But I enjoy the build so much and the Honda has just SO many anodised parts available I am losing sleep at night just thinking about colour matching ha ha ha. For a man that loves bling, CNC and anodising its a wet dream ;)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Pity you didnt go out on a win with the Clio !
Honda's have lots of goodies and great names Buddyclub , Tegiwa etc all very blingy ha ha

Golf GTD Mk7
No reason you couldn't post the integra build in here mark. Impressive season mate :) I'd go for a megane instead :)

SO many anodised parts available I am losing sleep at night just thinking about colour matching ha ha ha. For a man that loves bling, CNC and anodising its a wet dream ;)
Haaaaa lol! Can't wait to see how you get on Mark and well done this year :) Some great results and a very quick car straight out of the box

BMW Z4
No reason you couldn't post the integra build in here mark. Impressive season mate :) I'd go for a megane instead :)

You know I am drawn to that fat arse. The Megane was what I WANTED to build before my mates talked me into a Clio build. My ALL time fav car has to be this, I mean just listen to the damned thing!!! And that bodywork, so much bling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQlrq57GmWA&feature=relmfu

I am in no way dissing my Clio, I lOVE it and have very much enjoyed racing it and building it and being called the pesky Clio in the paddock :). BUT I DO need a new build to satisfy the engineer aspect in me, Chrispy has been messaging me like mad as he wants to help out again as we had a lot of fun last time and he needs a new build too lol.

So why the Meganne over the Integra? The things I like about the teg DC5 are as follows

1. I like the looks
2. I like the amount of chassis bracing stuff you can get for it, did Honda build this thing with racing in mind? Check this s**t out...

http://www.ultraracingshop.com/?gclid=CJDU9fKlyrMCFerItAod5wcAgQ

3. I like the ability to alter all the geometry both front and rear top and bottom just buy buying off the shelf parts.
4. I like that I can run 17 or 18 inch wheels with fat tyres
5. I like ANYTHING that is anodised or Billet
6. I like that it's got independant rear suspension and not beam
7. Parts do seem to be cheaper than Renault, possibly down to more manufacturers making them.

Certainly the base car Megane is way cheaper at around 3k as opposed to 8k for an Integra. (Actually £5995 is the cheapest I have seen but not in white sadly)

I guess I could keep all my motorsports escapades in here but would the mods like that if I move away from Clio? Are people interested in me doing that? I certainly like the forum and the people I have met on here are all great.

Clio
Just add a cs sticker on it, the mods need never know its true identity. But yes please do post here ide love to see a nice Honda build

Turbos.
Dunganick pointed you at the weekend (i was racing in the Lotus race) and was wondering how you got on. There is another similar Clio to you right? Is he on here too? Couldn't believe there were genuine Clio Cup cars then and what looked like a Supercopa and they weren't at the front of the grid!! In fact, wasn't it a 205 and something else?

Anyway, interesting reading and it is cool to see you putting in the hard work. Can't help but wonder why you are doing more of the same in another FWD though. Surely time to step it up into something more interesting?!

BMW Z4
Dunganick pointed you at the weekend (i was racing in the Lotus race) and was wondering how you got on. There is another similar Clio to you right? Is he on here too? Couldn't believe there were genuine Clio Cup cars then and what looked like a Supercopa and they weren't at the front of the grid!! In fact, wasn't it a 205 and something else?

Anyway, interesting reading and it is cool to see you putting in the hard work. Can't help but wonder why you are doing more of the same in another FWD though. Surely time to step it up into something more interesting?!

Who si Dunganick? I would have been at the front had I had more grip :) I made my front too soft and lost all my turn in, wont make that mistake again I can tell you. Yes there was another Clio in blue and orange. I lost it at the top of paddock trying to take 4th place.

Give me a list of what you deem more interesting :) I like FWD ;)

TrackCar & F30 330d
The DC5 offers a wider range of chassis adjustment with it having double wishbone suspension all round! Also as Mark has said there is a huge range of fancy anodised parts which suits Marks Bling appeal/taste. Just need to keep him away from those huge body kits!! ;)

With the same level of hard work and attention to detail Mark, (and myself) put into the Clio build then the DC5 will be a very competitive race car which will also look great!

BMW Z4
so... when does the DC5 build begin?;)

Not totally decided on this yet, A Megane properly built will give me more scope than a DC5 for team Trophy were we are limited to 200bhp/per ton at the wheels because it has a Turbo so we can map it to 200 but have massive Tourque ;) To be honest independant rear suspension on a FWD is a bit of a moot point anyway as the rear goes where the front takes it.

I have also asked the series organisers if I can run a 197 with a Turbo Megane engine in it. It does not specifically dissalow this in the regs and with a lifeline ECU with switchable traction control and automatic launch that would be rather epic I wager.

So anyway I have several options all of which I am doing build spreadhseets to see the pros and cons. The DC5 is certainly the most expensive on the build sheet so far by about 10000 over the Megane and I have not scrimped on the Megane!

I will look to start selling the Clio next week. Going to be selling the shell complete with interior wiring loom, doors, tailgate, steering colum, switch panel and Cartech battery isolator,

Clio
Not totally decided on this yet, A Megane properly built will give me more scope than a DC5 for team Trophy were we are limited to 200bhp/per ton at the wheels because it has a Turbo so we can map it to 200 but have massive Tourque ;) To be honest independant rear suspension on a FWD is a bit of a moot point anyway as the rear goes where the front takes it.

I have also asked the series organisers if I can run a 197 with a Turbo Megane engine in it. It does not specifically dissalow this in the regs and with a lifeline ECU with switchable traction control and automatic launch that would be rather epic I wager.

So anyway I have several options all of which I am doing build spreadhseets to see the pros and cons. The DC5 is certainly the most expensive on the build sheet so far by about 10000 over the Megane and I have not scrimped on the Megane!

I will look to start selling the Clio next week. Going to be selling the shell complete with interior wiring loom, doors, tailgate, steering colum, switch panel and Cartech battery isolator,

The clio conversion sounds good;) and f**k me 10k is a hell of a difference! how much are you selling the shell for?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Wouldn't a Megan Engined 197 be pretty much exactly the same build as what you already have mark?

At least the DC5 would be something completely new! I would be interested to know what your build sheet consists of!

BMW Z4
The clio conversion sounds good;) and f**k me 10k is a hell of a difference! how much are you selling the shell for?

Pmd you..

Yes even I was surprised at that. It's not like I have scrimped on the megane build sheet either with full Nitrons, uprated Turbo, fully rebuilt engine, gripper diff etc etc. If you factor in that a base megane 225 is £3500 and a base teg is 8k there is another 5k ish there too!!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I know TGM have just added to thier fleet of Integra's So its going to be the CSCC tintop Clio vs Honda race series next year.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Its a great series, I know they enjoy and have done for many years. They have just got a wide arch DC5 so it should be fun to watch, I am hopefully off to a few endurance races in europe with them next year :)