ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

incy-spiders Clio 182 turbo

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Really nice manifold. I wish I can have one, looks spot on and for sure it will flow better. But how much better,not sure.
If that guy can make another one with t25 flange,tell me:)

Thanks,
Radu

Don’t mention T25 flanges in here, I’m done with them [emoji23][emoji23] in all honesty I don’t think it’ll be any better or worse for flow than the cast one but hopefully with the vband I’ll have the security that it will stay tight and even if the vband was to fail it’s easily sorted! (I’ll take spares)

Unlike the T25 flange which is a nightmare to get to and will forever come loose it seems!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Does make you wonder why they are so determined to come loose. I had a S40 T5 and that used to always wanted to part ways with the nuts that held the manifold to the block. Was really common on them for no particularly good reason other than they were arse holes. I tried all sorts and still had the issues. In the end I went nuclear and had the easily accessible ones welded with the tiniest blob of weld possible. That worked a treat but I can’t imagine taking it off would have been fun for whoever got it next 😂

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Cant you look at using Inconel studs, aero nuts and nissan locking tabs?

Have tried all of that, in the end the studs stretch! It’s the only issue I ever have and its the most frustrating! I wouldn’t mind if it wasn’t so un-accessible but pulling the turbo and manifold off after a couple track days gets very tedious and it’s quite a worry when halfway through a week in Germany or at spa!

This will rectify it once and for all, and like I’ve said even if the vband clamp gives up it’s literally a 2min job to slip a new one on [emoji106][emoji106]

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
For now I have in mind first setul. Titanium studs, nord lock washer and some BMW manifold nuts. Hope for the best from 2021 to start the turbo:)

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Been a bit quiet lately, had a bit of a nightmare...

Removed my gearbox to replace the clutch, whilst at it I gave the LSD an overhaul. Replaced some worn shims and gear. All went well until I went up to fit the box one evening on my own, have done this many times as it’s my job. But this time I managed to loose my balance when pulling over my transmission jack and dropped the box from head height to the floor!

[emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji3064][emoji3064][emoji3064][emoji3064][emoji3064][emoji3064][emoji3064][emoji3064]

7e887b6bb1611bb37012bf7df8abfdd4.jpg

Ah well upgrade time... So I contacted Nick at pure who had an 089 casing which uses taper bearings on both shafts which can be pre loaded to perfect settings, I also had the reinforcement plate machined and added to the casing to stop cracking with the power I run. My accident ended up costing me £600 with extra bearings etc but I feel much happier with it all now, feels great.

0a92ba0bcd4104312a3d3141c0995e4a.jpg

b51a35366e2dc14cab22e936d9282f44.jpg

eacfb05540b071a2377ea488b29f1bab.jpg

d6e575d30017bee25c1619bff09f19bb.jpg

9cac6dcef742fc44a396da23d35637c5.jpg

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
715ed4bf2631033544cdd29ed0dbe1c2.jpg

ced44cb5df16d7bc5264a78147c4f227.jpg

Did 150miles today to bed the new clutch in!

New manifold must be flowing better as I’m seeing my boost hitting 16.7psi which is silly, so now that needs a tweek!! 15.5 was the norm... AFR all seem okay regardless but not risking it as castle Combe is booked for the 28th hoping I can get it to Andy before [emoji51][emoji51]

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Popped up to see Andy at Phoenix to get my mapping checked after putting my vband manifold and turbo housing on.. I had to turn the boost down manually on the actuator as I was worried about high boost readings.

anyway after some low end throttle tweaks we began some runs and saw with my actuator tweaks it was lower on power which was expected.

after some mapping we got it back to around 350hp and 340lbft.. and with a flick of the meth switch it sits happily at 372hp and 366lbft @ about 16-17psi which is basically nothing for the power and it really makes it with ease!

we could see 400hp with a puff more boost but 350 without meth and 372 with meth is where I’d like it to stay, it’s still very progressive and for me easy to deal with so all good!

Graph is power when arrived v’s power when mapped...

Attachments

• 5329C522-DE38-4450-BE38-981D46BA4BE3.png
    5329C522-DE38-4450-BE38-981D46BA4BE3.png
    75 KB · Views: 112
  • 71A3782A-9C7A-4742-B091-8DD993958CE3.jpeg
    71A3782A-9C7A-4742-B091-8DD993958CE3.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 97
  • 93558411-C42D-4242-B7C4-3790FF0E08CE.jpeg
    93558411-C42D-4242-B7C4-3790FF0E08CE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 92
  • D0CF6935-1E2F-424D-8E33-44270C3794C9.jpeg
    D0CF6935-1E2F-424D-8E33-44270C3794C9.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2292.MOV
    129.1 MB
  • 6574510E-E6EE-4E33-AF97-E817248E76D2.jpeg
    6574510E-E6EE-4E33-AF97-E817248E76D2.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 108
  • DDA428FD-DAFE-4B54-90E3-6DB365337447.jpeg
    DDA428FD-DAFE-4B54-90E3-6DB365337447.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
  • 8C26CD75-A6BD-4C88-88EA-CB6BD2D7AECA.jpeg
    8C26CD75-A6BD-4C88-88EA-CB6BD2D7AECA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 121

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
By far and away the best turbo’d Clio on here in my opinion. I love the idea of the 265 pistons, could well be a route I go down when I inevitably blow my engine up.

What box are you using, is it the 089?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yes mate it’s the 089. Also thanks [emoji106][emoji106]

How do you find the box? I’ve got the standard 130 from the 182 in mine and it just seems like all I do is change gear. Is yours a bit longer?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
How do you find the box? I’ve got the standard 130 from the 182 in mine and it just seems like all I do is change gear. Is yours a bit longer?

It’s the exact same ratios as the 130.. it has my LSD crown wheel and gear clusters in, just the Input shaft from the 089, bearings and shim etc.

In an ideal world I’d like a 6th gear but at this moment in time the 02M conversion isn’t perfect enough!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
The 10 steps of clio turbo conversion in a nutshell!!

1, Have nice oem plus clio
2, Want more power
3, Get turbo conversion at a cost that will end up a lot more than you imagine.
4, Get lots of niggling issues as it puts more stress on other areas of the car that need up rating.
5, Say it's great on forum because you will soon want / need to sell it as its pissing you off and costing you money.
6, Put it up for sale (for a long time as no one wants to buy them anymore)
7, Sit there thinking what the f**k have I done I should of kept it std!
8, Sell it eventually after 100s of wasters asking stupid questions and making stupid offers.
9, Make a massive loss and regret massively what you have done. (Would of got way more std )
10, Ruin one of the few remaining nice examples.

Yes go for it !!🤣🤣

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
A reply to your s**t comment in a nutshell… f**k off!!

🤣🤣🤣 sorry if I hit a nerve !! yours may be a good one ! 😘

But you can't say hand on heart that most of those points aren't true!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] sorry if I hit a nerve !! yours may be a good one ! [emoji8]

But you can't say hand on heart that most of those points aren't true!

1 and 2… they are true! I’ve read that all before and mostly it’s posted by someone who hasn’t owned or driven a well converted one or has had a general grease monkey do their work and they have failed.

The other, are guys having a go at converting with some experience then realising it’s a bit more than just slapping a turbo on, getting frustrated with it all and spending more time trying to convince everyone else that it’s a s**t idea than excepting they are t***s! [emoji23][emoji23]

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
1 and 2… they are true! I’ve read that all before and mostly it’s posted by someone who hasn’t owned or driven a well converted one or has had a general grease monkey do their work and they have failed.

The other, are guys having a go at converting with some experience then realising it’s a bit more than just slapping a turbo on, getting frustrated with it all and spending more time trying to convince everyone else that it’s a s**t idea than excepting they are t***s! [emoji23][emoji23]

I think you have nailed it there, I've owned a slapped together 172 turbo, after going over everything it was fine but when I first had it I had to fix or sort something every time I drove it! Its all in the quality of the build I think where most fall down. My latest is the Twingo (obviously not a Clio but very similar) everything has been done by me and so far (touches wood frantically) its as reliable as a factory car.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Let’s be honest, if you’re the sort of mong that thinks you can turbo one for 50 quid then is surprised when it’s s**t, doesn’t work properly and/or blows up then you deserve it. As above, these mongs then become the people who sit saying all turbo’d clios are s**t, unreliable, blah blah blah.

In reality when done properly (as this one has been if you bother to read the thread) they are reliable, fun and fast. The turbo takes them from being a fun but slow old hot hatch to something that can more than hold its own against the modern hyper hatches.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Little tinker update..

After seeing lots of PAS steering pumps popping at the track I decided to remove HPAS in favour of EPAS.

It was a very difficult decision to b fair, but whilst I had the car apart to do the clutch AGAIN (will talk about this after) I decided to ‘simplify’ my bay.

I used the PMS pulley and removed all pipework, pump and blanked off the rack. Fitted the EPAS column and wired up using high quality cable, connections etc. All powered from a bulkhead connector direct from battery. Lovely!

After initial drive felt good, then realised that the standard pinion inside the HPAS rack gives a horrible disconnected feeling when pushing on through corners etc… car wonders around because of the 2piece construction.

Sooooo, I ordered up a PMS quick rack kit, which has a solid pinion. Fitted all that did my setup again and took it around the block on a test drive, now I have ESP cutting in whilst giving small amounts of steering input.. carried out some checks, reset angle sensor etc. But found what was actually happening was the car was seeing less input from steering compared to what the YAW sensor, wheel speed was seeing due to the increased ratio of the rack! [emoji19][emoji30]

Spoke to Nick at pure, and basically these racks aren’t generally fitted to road going cars with all the systems in. So I needed a work around, even with ESP off by the switch an element of traction control could still be found so I had to reconfigure using clip, remembered from ages ago it could be done so now traction control is permanently disabled retaining ABS so all lights correct for MOT’s

Anyway… a small job turned into a bit of a nightmare! All fine now albeit taking some time to get used to the smaller amounts of steering input with 372hp in the wet [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So after all that which sounds like a massive pain in the balls. How does it feel?
I appreciate with a turbo setup you have even greater packaging constraints. However would a PAS cooler not have been an option?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
off topic but do you have any videos of the car in action and second question, why did you notch the rods for tagged bearings? less chance of spinning them?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
So after all that which sounds like a massive pain in the balls. How does it feel?
I appreciate with a turbo setup you have even greater packaging constraints. However would a PAS cooler not have been an option?

It’s more the horrible scenes at places like Nur when the pump has let go and the belt wrapped around everything with fluid everywhere.. I actually never really had much heat issues like that but yeah may help them.

It is nice to be able to change my oil filter without nearly crying now though with all the extra room [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
off topic but do you have any videos of the car in action and second question, why did you notch the rods for tagged bearings? less chance of spinning them?

I have very close friends with an engineering business so to notch the rods was a better decision for me than potentially messing up perfectly good shells with a file taking the tags off! Also more professional imo

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
I have very close friends with an engineering business so to notch the rods was a better decision for me than potentially messing up perfectly good shells with a file taking the tags off! Also more professional imo

yeah defo looks good vs a file.... I was more questioning the need/benefits/reason of having it done that was all?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
yeah defo looks good vs a file.... I was more questioning the need/benefits/reason of having it done that was all?

Mainly there for alignment, the chances of the tags stopping a bearing from spinning is questionable, if the bearing picks up I don’t think tags will stop it and let’s be honest if a bearing is picking up you have already fucked your engine! Maybe it would keep it alive for a couple revolutions more but I dunno!?