ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad 3 - Released March 16th. Pre-Orders start 7th March

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Standard res apps are automatically up-scaled (which is easy because some UI elements are requirements for submission) so things like fonts and other UI elements will look better from day one. Graphics and other content will then need to be adjusted.

If you've gone from a 3GS to a 4/4S recently you'll realise the value of this. But, i realise that not everyone will care or even notice.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I was just trying to figure out if i missed something. Looks like I didnt and its just the usual apple cult hype again. I am waiting for an ipad that can do what i want it to do, becasue they are built very well and are pleasing to the eye, but thats not enougth for me.

I was just trying to figure out if i missed something. Looks like I didnt and its just the usual apple cult hype again. I am waiting for an ipad that can do what i want it to do, becasue they are built very well and are pleasing to the eye, but thats not enougth for me.

Resorting to 'Apple Cult' is the sure sign you have no idea what you're talking about.

Case closed.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Build your own?

Listerine & Poledo

it's not exactly reinventing the wheel, granted, but comparing iPad to iPad3 you can see there's been progress.

Mind, same with Android tablets.

If people want them, they'll buy them, it just so happens the are a lot of people who want anything that has an Apple emblem on it, almost irrespective of what it is. It's their money, and, in all fairness, I'd rather an iPad than a Motorola or Sony or Archos or whoever else too.

If people want them, they'll buy them, it just so happens the are a lot of people who want anything that has an Apple emblem on it, almost irrespective of what it is. It's their money, and, in all fairness, I'd rather an iPad than a Motorola or Sony or Archos or whoever else too.

Whilst that is certainly true, that is a very small percentage.

My Mum has an iPhone. She couldn't care less that it's made by Apple. She wants the best phone for her needs. Same as millions of other people.

Apple have had people buying whatever they make for years. It's only recently that it's spread to everyone else. That's not because of some spell or a curse, it's because of how good the products are.

Listerine & Poledo
@Rrevels

Dont forgtet a whole heap of marketing to go with those products ;)

Mind, it's not like Samsung, who release a new phone every week, just for it to be old hat by the end of the month.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
And a whole heap of marketing.

To an extent, but no amount of marketing can polish a turd.

iPad and iPhone are market leaders because they are good and because they are well marketed.

Listerine & Poledo
Look, I'm not going to argue with a tag team of Oranges, who are likely posting from a Mac anyway.

I'm sure the products are good, but "you can't polish a turd"? What about Audi?

This year I'll be trying out what iStuff is all about anyway. Not becuase of the adverts that appear everytime there's an ad break, but because I'm intrigued to see if they really are everything people like yourselves make them out to be. If they are, I'll be happy about it

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Even i'm struggling. They aren't successful just because of thier marketing department, that's just silly. The products are market leaders. By far as well!

To an extent, but no amount of marketing can polish a turd.

iPad and iPhone are market leaders because they are good and because they are well marketed.

+1, but i presume that lot of people get apple products, for instance iPhones as they think they are cool and all there mates have one, but i dont think they realise the potential of the products

The funny thing is, the usual arguments against Apple products don't actually work that well with the iPad. For what you get it's still pretty darn good value against the competition. No other manufacturer has waved a magic wand and produced something comfortably as good (and comparable) at a much cheaper price...mainly because nobody has been able to.

It's also worth noting that away from the small minority of internet junkies who wouldn't think twice about building their own PC, many, many people actually like the closed nature of iOS/Apple products, t's pretty much bullet proof and fool proof. I have a Galaxy S2 and quite frankly, it's a chore. Battery life monitors, anti-virus software, checking compatibility of apps, the market alone is a minefield if you're not technologically minded...you never have to think about any of that stuff with an iPhone/iPad. I could hand my Mum, Nan or 4 year old Nephew my iPad and know that they are never likely to have any major problems.

The difference is, I don't feel the need to ramble on about it all the time every time a different tablet is released (check the BBC comments on their article, a lot of people spending a lot of time talking about something they apparently don't care about), yet the Apple 'haters' can't seem to leave the darn thing alone.

Audi S1
I'm yet to meet someone who has bought an iPhone because "it was cool". People buy iPhones because they like them. The marketing is great - shows how easy they are to use.

I bought a MBP because I wanted something different. I defiantly got that. 2 years later I bought an iMac I wanted something bigger, static. I could have got a PC for a lot less but decided that I loved the iPhone/MBP so much why not get an iMac... so I did.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
No it isnt, my files are visible off line.

This only works if your files are in sync. If im at a clients, they have a file on a closed network with on internet connectivity for security reasons AND they have no wi-fi, how is dropbox going to be a help to me?

Revels said:
Resorting to 'Apple Cult' is the sure sign you have no idea what you're talking about.

Case closed.

No, I think you will find you dont know what you are talking about. There was research done a little while ago on apple products in relation to peoples brain responce and the results showed that similar results seen in other cults/religions were present when apple followers looked at apple products. Im pretty sure it was shown in "secrets of the superbrands" on bbc3 not long ago. Also the mass hysteria caused by apple releases and store openings is very relateable to a cult. Some people travel around the world to see apple stores open and when they do open, theres is always some weird chanting like someone has just won a sports game going on.

Since when was an S2 a chore?

Compared to an iPhone I think it is. The thing is basically on fire if I ever boot up a Kairosoft game (then 30 minutes later the battery dies), it's nowhere near as intuitive as an iOS device, and as I mentioned on a more general note the Marketplace is a minefield. Great if you love the openness of it, I personally don't.

Put my Mum in front of a PC running iTunes and an iPhone and she could transfer her music across with a quick 2 minute run-through...try doing that with an S2.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
+1, but i presume that lot of people get apple products, for instance iPhones as they think they are cool and all there mates have one, but i dont think they realise the potential of the products

serious question: what is the potential of the products (specifically the iphone)

the main reason i like apple products is simply because they work. isnt the 'idea' behind apple products to make a device which is intuitive and user friendly... and then make it class leading? (not the case with the ipad)

thats an incredibly big selling point for me :)

edit;

this is what i was trying to say lol

The funny thing is, the usual arguments against Apple products don't actually work that well with the iPad. For what you get it's still pretty darn good value against the competition. No other manufacturer has waved a magic wand and produced something comfortably as good (and comparable) at a much cheaper price...mainly because nobody has been able to.

It's also worth noting that away from the small minority of internet junkies who wouldn't think twice about building their own PC, many, many people actually like the closed nature of iOS/Apple products, t's pretty much bullet proof and fool proof. I have a Galaxy S2 and quite frankly, it's a chore. Battery life monitors, anti-virus software, checking compatibility of apps, the market alone is a minefield if you're not technologically minded...you never have to think about any of that stuff with an iPhone/iPad. I could hand my Mum, Nan or 4 year old Nephew my iPad and know that they are never likely to have any major problems.

The difference is, I don't feel the need to ramble on about it all the time every time a different tablet is released (check the BBC comments on their article, a lot of people spending a lot of time talking about something they apparently don't care about), yet the Apple 'haters' can't seem to leave the darn thing alone.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Personal hotspot. Download dropbox - share you dropbox, drop the file in...

Assuming that is possible. Most businesses use dropbox now anyway

and how do they get the file from there non-internet allowable network onto dropbox? You would have to copy the file onto a usb stick, go to another computer, upload the file, go to the ipad and download the file, at which point i would have just used to the ocmputer i used to upload the file. I know its a rear case, but i do come up against this now and again with high security networks that do a lot of banking/stock etc...