ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone advice for n00b (don't slate me or lock)

Please don't lock my thread or tell me to get out the iphone section. I have done a search, and I may be eating my hat here....

I am fed up with my Nokia, and cannot find any phone that does anything "straight forward". I fear, I may have to try an *cough* iphone *cough*.

A few things though.

Battery life. Say I send 40-50 texts a day, and make 5-10 mins of calls average. 2 days possible?
If I get one on payg and put my sim in, will I need to get a data bolt on, or do you not have to use wap if you don't want to. (does the phone connect itself?)
Is it worth paying the ~£100 extra for the 3gs, or will 3g be fine?
Is it just a case of walking into the apple shop tomorrow and getting one, or is there some waiting list etc?
Will I regret getting one?

Think this might get locked, but;

Yes.
Don't have to use Wap.
Yes. Although for what you will use it for, probably not.
Might be a waiting list, go to an Apple store!
NO!

Last edited:
It's only cus I started it lol.

Maybe I will just get the 3g then. I won't ever sell it on, so not fussed on resale etc.

I will have a look into the difference between 3g and 3gs.

Meant to be doubly as fast. But tbh I have only used either or, not in conjunction with. A lot of hype from the usual iGeeks on here. Very happy with my bogo standard 3G :)

It'll last all day but not much more. Just charge it when you sleep.

Phone won't connect itself and you can get the bolt on. But if you get a PAYG, just use the sim that comes with it. Free Wifi + Data for a year.

Yes. http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/ A few differences but the speed is noticeable.

Should be readily available.

No. You won't regret it.

I don't really want to use the sim, as I have about 10 months left of my current contract. I don't think they will let me upgrade or pay to get an iphone, so will have to pay for one on payg and chuck the sim card.

I see the 3g has the 2mp camera and no video. Don't think it will matter, always nice to have the nicest, and £100 extra is just staying in for a weekend instead lol.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Apple stores should have stock available, phone and ask if you want to be sure. I'd buy the 3GS as the difference is noticeable and I do not regret upgrading from my 3G.

A data bolt on would be best as without it you are cutting out many of the features that make the iPhone so good. If you are on a non iPhone tariff then a bolt on is still a option for you, £7.34 per month for unlimited data or free depending on your existing tariff.

As Revels has said you will probably need to charge it every night which isn't a big deal although if you are not using any data at all then the battery may last marginally longer but two days would be a stretch.

http://www.o2.co.uk/explore/tariffs/boltons/paymonthlyboltons

1998 BMW e46 323i
You on 02 contract just now? I'm on voda and got sick of nokia after being a die hard symbian man. I miss the camera of my usual n series but nearly a week in and I love the 3g. I'm surprised myself. Got mine from eBay.

You on 02 contract just now? I'm on voda and got sick of nokia after being a die hard symbian man. I miss the camera of my usual n series but nearly a week in and I love the 3g. I'm surprised myself. Got mine from eBay.

Aye halfway through 02 contract. Tbh, I don't think I will notice the difference between the 3g and s, so either will do.

Might have a look in the for sale section and ebay, but can have one tomorrow if they're in stock at the store lol.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
In regards to speed difference between the 3G and 3GS... Have had both side by side and the 3GS tends to load a fair bit quicker but other than that the speed is the same (same time to receive texts, download mail). Safari is a little quicker but not hugely noticeable. The only other difference for me is the camera which is a hell of a lot better on the 3GS and the videos I've made are comparable to those of mini video recorders (kodak, flip, etc).

To the point - if you're not sure what to get then save the money and get a 3G.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The iPhone 3GS video quality is acceptable enough. I uploaded this to YouTube directly from the iPhone and as usual YT makes the quality that bit worse than it really is (no smart comments about the video contents!). By the time I took this it was dark and raining in Glasgow.

I reckon it's worth buying the 3GS and getting the added extras.

[YOUTUBE]n9SxMDRLOdo[/YOUTUBE]

200 Gordini
iPhones are hard to get hold of from o2 atm, not too sure about the apple store though.

Check youtube for some side by side comparisons of the 3G and 3GS

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
I've just bought the 3GS. Bit expensive but its immense! iPhones are the best gadget I've ever bought

I too have done this - and yes, IMMENSE! Even though I hate apple, I realised there is no alternative (since the Devs backed the iPhone) and I had to get the best... granted not the 32GB, but 16GB will be plenty for me.

Paul RN said:
I'm not sure of the point of having an iphone without a suitable data tariff

I find myself mostly on Wi-Fi and BTOpenZone atm, however I'm sure that'll change once I've started my job. Either way, it is doable, but why would you?

The OP - give O2 a ring and see if they'll let you upgrade/renew your contract with an iPhone 3GS, O2 are usually quite good at trying to keep their customers. If you need to, hint at the fact you know that soon other providers will have the iPhone, and you'd be happy to move to another service provider if O2 didn't satisfy your needs now ;)

Just spoke to O2. Quite helpful for once.

I can either pay off the remainder of my contract (£327) and then start a new 18 month contract with an iphone (no) or I can get one on payg (new or used) and then phone them up and they will just switch me to an iphone tariff so I get the unlimited internet stuff, but I keep the same bundle as I have atm (free texts) for £35 a month, and then continue on my current contract, and then will be able to upgrade to the new iphone (what ever is after the 3gs) when that comes out.

Yeah I will do what you said if I can secure one from a reliable source, if not just get one new. And I only want the 3G, so it's £342.50.

Just don't know whether to order NOW, or wait till am back off hol in a few weeks. Can see it going missing on hols lol. Unless I take an old phone with me. Hmmm...

Ya c**t.

It's £100 more, for basically a compass. I won't notice the difference in speed, never record video, hardly ever take photos anyway, and wouldn't use voice commands.

I just don't think it's worth £100 extra after considering it tbh. And I can will never have more than 1gb of music on it lol, as I won't use it to listen to music as I'll fear the battery running down.

Playing music doesn't really kill the battery IME.

Calls, texts and graphic intensive games kill it, as does screen brightness. Mine lasted from last Sunday to the following Saturday night before I had to charge it. Granted, I have no friends, and only use it to look awesome.

Calls, texts and graphic intensive games kill it, as does screen brightness. Mine lasted from last Sunday to the following Saturday night before I had to charge it. Granted, I have no friends, and only use it to look awesome.

So yours lasted nearly a week, yet everyone else has to charge it every night. Roffle.

Amazed, two days max :(

997.1, Caddy, e208
I just bought her a 16GB 3G for £320.

Could have got a White 32GB 3G-S for £415.

Insane amounts of money on a phone.

200 Gordini
The bloody trouble ive been through to get a 32gb 3gs off o2 as an upgrade :/

What have you gone for?

I just went for a black 8gb 3g. £340. Prices were the same from o2, carphone warehouse, and apple. Although, with o2, I didn't have to pay for £10 worth of credit.

I could have had 16gb 3g for £390, but I don't think they have any 3gs's in stock at the moment. That's what I got told on the phone and it says on the website.

So yours lasted nearly a week, yet everyone else has to charge it every night. Roffle.

Yeah. It lasted 6 days. I didn't use it much though, so that was basically standby. Either that or I made it up to make my phone look special. Penarse.

Better than yours. C*nt.

I can believe it. Mine lasted 2 days of medium-hard use. I have to really, really hammer it to make it only last a day.

As opposed to my (work's) wanky HP Data Messenger, which couldn't last a day if it's life depended on it. It's going in a pond when I get a half decent excuse.