ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the CTR the Clio's natural enemy?

It is expensive to own, petrol is much worse than the clio, servicing, oil, tyres, etc.... but I suppose thats why most have you have chosen the cheaper Clio ;)

Not me, I chose the Clio because it has grip AND handles well. The CTR just has lots of grip and handles like s**t (IMO). Actually it doesn't handle at all because the steering is connected to the front wheels with rubber bands. It's a very capable machine, but it has no character and is not at all fun to throw around in "The Twisties" unless you enjoy guessing what's happening under the front tyres.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Its the clio's nearest rival really.
Id rather have the clio tho as the ctr has much higher running costs.
For me hot hatches are about getting the quickest most fun car for as little outlay as poss and the clio wins hands down.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you prefer the civic, fcuk off to the civic forum.....!
I really can't understand why you come on here and **** off the clio. Its called ClioSport FFS!
I'm selling mine soon, and when its gone, i'll be joining another forum/s.

(and just for the record, i Hate Civics! lol)

^^^Somebody get out the wrong side of bed? ;)

I'm still on Cliosport because it's (usually) such a friendly place...

Clio 200 cup
People are on this forum because they all share an interest in clios!!
doesnt really matter what they drive at the end of the day! i was looking at getting either a 182 or a ctr i ended up with the civic because i got it for a bargain price but would of happily had a 182 any day of the week just the civic offer was too good to turn down!

TOM CTR: stick around here mate, more fun and more action than I've seen so far on the CTR forum I've been contributing to!

Bora TDI - (ex172)
I really can't understand why you come on here and **** off the clio. Its called ClioSport FFS!
I'm selling mine soon, and when its gone, i'll be joining another forum/s.

(and just for the record, i Hate Civics! lol)

People don't just join this forum to blow their own trumpets and pat each other on the back for owning the same or similar cars. Its called 'Cliosport', not 'Lets all w8nk over each other Clios!' Most people on here have a ClioSport because its fun to drive and fast for the money. There's no rule saying you can't like another car. rant over:D

To me, and I think I concur with most people here, they're similar cars, the Civic IMO is better overall and for everyday driving/commuting. However, they're so evenly matched it all comes down to personal preference. :approve:

Clio 200 cup
Will do Ally! just dont understand why people get so offended of other peoples opinions on cars! End of the day they are very evenly matched and it falls down to personal preference!

Exactly! I loved my 172 but it gave me so much grief. I'm loving the CTR so far too, as I said IMO it's got a similar character, loves being revved, still a hot hatch.

ITB BG 182
I like the shape of the CTR and was going to buy one but for the difference in price i saved money getting the clio and now the money i had left over i went on a holiday an getting some extra bits for the clio, if i got the CTR id only have a CTR from it all.

172cup
Yes they may be better cars, better built, faster, yadda yadda yadda but

When I was looking at the clio 172 (which i bought) I looked at a couple of ctr's and each one had a lot of wear on the seats, gear stick and the plastic door handles where the silver paint was coming off!In terms of quality of the inside of the cars I belive the ff clios win hands down.

In terms of speed? Doesn't the clio 182's do 0-60 quicker and it is simply the 0 - 100 where civic wins with about 16.9 - in real life on the roads the clio is esaier to access it's power whereas the civic takes too long to rev up.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

LOL! yeah i think i did actually! Been i =n a proper bad mood all morning...

Cliostport to be fair is probably the best forum i've ever been on,:cool: but for the life of me I cannot understand why you'd pay, subscribe and join a forum for a cliosport when you say its s**t and a.n other car is better:S

And clioMears, What the fcuk are you on about?? When have you heard me blow my own trumpet? Pat anyone on the back? Say I only like clio's and don't like anyone elses cars??Climb down from your spaceship you wierdo.:rasp:

Bora TDI - (ex172)

LOL! yeah i think i did actually! Been i =n a proper bad mood all morning...

Cliostport to be fair is probably the best forum i've ever been on,:cool: but for the life of me I cannot understand why you'd pay, subscribe and join a forum for a cliosport when you say its s**t and a.n other car is better:S

And clioMears, What the fcuk are you on about?? When have you heard me blow my own trumpet? Pat anyone on the back? Say I only like clio's and don't like anyone elses cars??Climb down from your spaceship you wierdo.:rasp:

All I was saying, was that most people on here are a fan of fast, nippy, hot hatches, regardless of what make they are. Just cos they're on a clio forum, doesn't mean they think they own the best car in the world. :rolleyes:

You're saying that cos they've subscribed or post on a Clio forum that they shouldn't like any other car in a similar performance bracket. I'm sure some people would like a Type-R but couldn't afford it so got a Clio cos the 172's etc are cheaper and offer similar performance. Think before you post. Not hard is it. Now.....wheres that spaceship......must tell them to drop by and pick up superfastdan :rasp:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
^^ i'm not saying that at all numbnuts, i'm saying i don't understand.........oh fcuk it, you're giving me a migrane.
I know what i mean in my head, and in there it sounds good.

172cup
Got to agree with cliomears on that one. I drive 172 but love other cars too - big fan of evo's and scooby's me!

106 GTi
unless you enjoy guessing what's happening under the front tyres.

Knowsit - The main reason why I left the CTR sitting there on the forecourt and went and test drove a 182 - Glad I did :approve:

Growing up with French hatches the 182 was a natural progression from my 205 GTi. I found the CTR tiresome work to drive after my lazy mans 8v 205.

As Rich has pointed out, the Civic is literally a class above, with Golfs and Focuses. As an all round car there is no competition, the Civic is better.

I know what Kinsella is saying about the complete lack of respect people give to the Clio, but then i prefer being understated.

I always thought the Civic was in the same class (B) as the Clio, with the Accord being Honda's entry in class C with the Focus, Golf, Megane etc...?

As I recall the CTR didn't even get a look in in Evo's Best FWD feature as the Integra Type R is so much better!?!?

172cup
Integra type r is gorgeous and is supposed to handle amazing according to evo but you can never find good ones these days - all high milers/high mods.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Got to agree with cliomears on that one. I drive 172 but love other cars too - big fan of evo's and scooby's me!

I also drive a 172 and love other cars, i don't understand where you bastids are getting this idea that i loathe other cars from??

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Whoa! Bunfight!

Sorry people....wasn't actually my intention to start a barney or a war of opinions, although i may have been naive to think that a topic headed "CTR, Clio's Natural Enemy?" wouldn't start a big debate.

LOL at the "50 quid haircut" comments...this actually ties in to my view of them as most of the ones i see about have these types driving (BUT NOT ALL OF THEM...before any CTR owners here get shirty)

At the end of the day we all enjoy our cars and we will all defend our own brands to the hilt so this is just a difference of opinions....

You are all wrong though...;) :rasp:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I really like the CTR...always have since it first appeared over here.

My 'problem' if you like is the fact that I see so many of them on an everyday basis.

Same here - I thinking they are cracking cars. My 'problem' with them is when you're having a play with one and the old fart driving the CTR nearly removes the front of your Clio by not sticking to his lane at a roundabout. GIMP. :quiet: ;)

D.

Tangoed Works
^^ Prob because they cant lol. In reality they are both good cars and I bought the clio because 1 my friend has CTR so wouldnt want the same car, and 2 because I seem to have a thing for frenchy hatches. R5GTT, 2 saxos. Love the chuckability that these have that the civic didnt. Both excellent cars imo.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well my dislike of them is usually kept to myself but i have had two of them in the space of a weekend either sitting an inch from my ass or deciding they won't abide by the general roundabout rules and try and remove my front bumper by cutting in at the last minute.....

I know this doesn't apply to ALL CTR owners but my god it does with the majority of ones I encounter and this doesn't help change my opinion of the things!

CTR--VX220D

Im a member of Cliosport because I have a 172.

Im also a member of TROrg because I also have a Type R.

I think I can make an informed opinion [unlike some people on here] because I have both of them on the drive.... when the 172 is not off for weeks for repairs!!!! Doh!

Clio 172 mk2
My old chap had a CTR when i had my 172 and driving them back to back i really have to disagree tbh. But better is subjective/personal.

French = s**t plastics/materials.
Jap = s**t plastics/materials with twice as many screws in it.

;)

lol

I think Honda have done a good job with the CTR interior but I reckon your spot on with that comment.

I've been in quite a few 20/30k Japanese performance cars and the materials/design is rubbish compared to German Marques.

^^ Think the problem is that CTRs are more mainstream and hence more common than Renaultsport Clios, so you're always going to get more idiots who can't drive finding themselves owning a CTR. IMO this is less likely with the Clios being less "mainstream" (meant in a good way).

But whoever said about the interior quality being better in a Clio than a Civic: sorry mate, I certainly don't agree (from my experiences). My CTR is much much better put together with nicer materials than my 172 was.

Ollie1982: aye right, not wanting to start a barney ;). People always rise to the bait LOL. Know what you mean about the haircuts, although on that basis I'd say MINI drivers must spend far more again on their hair than Civic drivers ;), but glad I'm a tight bastid and get mine cut by the wife :rasp:

172cup
I believe the ctr is real bone of contention for a lot of people of differing car brands. A pal of mine who loves honda's, mainly crx's and old civics, hates the ctr saying that "it looks like bread van and it's slow" - I get the bread van but not slow. Also, my mini supporting pals seem to have an underlying hatred for ctrs to! Funny how mini drivers think they should be placed along focus, megane and ctr size and not clio.

172cup
Think the problem is that CTRs are more mainstream and hence more common than Renaultsport Clios

I think this also effects how the cars are looked after aswell - personaly I m yet to see a ctr in good condition for 02/03 plates.

CTR--VX220D
Probably becuase your looking too cheap.... My '05 plate still looks as new as the day I had it delivered from Honda.

172cup
05 1 owner from dealer would be nice but 14/15k ask price is a lot to me and if I went private still going to be looking at high 13k. For that cash I d look at a Trophy for 10k then spend 3k on an R6!! But thats just me.

Christurbo what is vx220 like, saw a yellow one yesterday and looked nice - now thats a rare motor.

172cup
05 1 owner from dealer would be nice but 14/15k ask price is a lot to me and if I went private still going to be looking at high 13k. For that cash I d look at a Trophy for 10k then spend 3k on an R6!! But thats just me.

Christurbo what is vx220 like, saw a yellow one yesterday and looked nice - now thats a rare motor.

172cup

05 1 owner from dealer would be nice but 14/15k ask price is a lot to me and if I went private still going to be looking at high 13k.

Yep, they certainly ain't cheap. The dealer I got mine from has a brand new CTR final edition (same as normal except for Recaro's, Momo steering wheel, red carpet and rear tints) for £18.2k with climate control :eek:. Silly money, near enough Golf GTI money but then IMO they could be called rivals.

Clio 172 mk2
05 1 owner from dealer would be nice but 14/15k ask price is a lot to me and if I went private still going to be looking at high 13k.

Yep, they certainly ain't cheap. The dealer I got mine from has a brand new CTR final edition (same as normal except for Recaro's, Momo steering wheel, red carpet and rear tints) for £18.2k with climate control :eek:. Silly money, near enough Golf GTI money but then IMO they could be called rivals.

Good point there about the Golf