ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jailbreaking: A Guide... & Best Features.

a burnt one
Not working for me, ive failed 4 times and had to restore it, i reckon my fingers aint fast enough for the button mashing.

Lou

ClioSport Club Member
  182 & 595
Heres how my lockscreen looks just now:

IMG_0520.gif

Still trying out different things with it though.

Citroen C4 Coupe
I've just jailbroken my phone. Am just waiting for it to load up...maybe should have asked this first, but does it wipe all contacts, texts etc?

Edit: Scrap that! It loaded quicker than I thought, so I got the answer!

Last edited:
  UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I've just given my 3GS the Jailbreak treatment. Thought I'd lose all my Apps, contacts and messages etc. But all it seemed to do was install Cydia (looking in from an outsider). Good good. So I didn't even have to do a restore in iTunes.

Did all this in half an hour max last night. Great thing to do! Had a problem with the unlock (i.e. it didn't work the first time around, so had to restore the phone which took a good 30-40 minutes and then redo it :(). Works now!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I had to put my second gen ipod touch into DFU (think that's what it is) mode when jailbreaking from 3.0, but when jailbreaking my 3gs iphone on 3.0.1, I didn't have to put it into DFU mode :S

Both seem to work fine and I think there's nothing to worry about, but did I do anything wrong?

If it works lad, great. When doing mine, it said that it would say "return to Cydia" then I would have to reboot. Mine just came up with a reboot device icon and it negated the need to do to choices. Worked fine!

One note about doing this with 3G.

Last night, my iPhone wouldn't unlock after I selected the "essential upgrades" for Cydia after Jailbreaking. However, second time around after restoring the device, I did not choose to upgrade in Cydia and instead just unlocked the phone. This time it worked. So maybe a note to 3G users, don't upgrade/update Cydia until you have unlocked it!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I FAIL AT THIS so far, dont know why it was easy on the 3G not the 3GS :S

Ive downloaded the file, when i unzip, i dont have the ispw restore file, just loads of other crap.

Any ideas where im going wrong?

Try renaming the file from .zip to .ispw

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I had to restore my iPhone to factory last night after Jailbreaking. I installed Cydia, it rebooted. No probs. I installed Winterboard, it rebooted... then hung on the Apple logo for about 10 minutes. Wouldn't switch off or do anything. Apparently it's something to do with a loop it goes into sometimes due to App overload. Or some other reason. So I tried to hard reboot, then recover using the Jailbreak again, and got an ERROR message on the black screen while it was transfering the data over. So eventually did a restore using iTunes, transfering everything back over (music etc). It's back to how it was now, as I thankfully did that Backup thing you told me to do so only had to transfer a few select things.

Will delete some pointless apps later on and try it all again, installing Openssh this time so I can access the phone if it goes wrong.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Should receive my 3g tomorrow, it's jailbroken and sim unlocked. If it's not running 3.0 and I update it will it still be unlocked and jailbroken?

I'm a proper apple newb...

a burnt one
I FAIL AT THIS so far, dont know why it was easy on the 3G not the 3GS :S

Ive downloaded the file, when i unzip, i dont have the ispw restore file, just loads of other crap.

Any ideas where im going wrong?

Have you got it yet? If not you will be using Internet Explorer no doubt, download using a different browser, like firefox, then the .ispw file will appear without needing to unzip.

mk1 172
Yeah, makes good use of the Lockscreen, I find it a complete PITA to continually have to slide to unlock->type in passcode->press mail just to read my latest email. This was I can decide if it's important enough to need a response.

Also dead handy for reading SMS, checking weather or monthly calendar, or appointments (of which I currently have 0).

Happy to forward my .js (Java config files) to anybody using it. Saves reconfiguring it, though you'll also get London weather etc.

Hoff

Can you forward it to me please as I'm having a complete ball ache trying to get it to do what I want it too.

Cheers

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Mine has been spot on since my first 3 failed attempts. I say that, but it was Winterboard which kept causing the dreaded Apple logo of Death. Simple workaround was to manually reboot instead of rebooting when prompted.

Got quite a few themes now, the Family Guy one with the Quagmire sound effects is brilliant, although annoying the hell out of the missus! Giggety giggety giggety goo!! :cool:

My unlock was done three times, third time lucky. Cydia's updates caused the problems each time. Found that it has to be done once everything else is up and running :(.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'm going to jailbreak my mates iPhone 3G tonight, too.

I've also just figured out how to use custom SMS tones.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
What exactly does All Sources do? Do I need it? I've heard it slows Cydia down a hell of a lot.

Revels Mum & Sister
It gives you All Sources as the name would suggest. I am not sure how fast it was before but it does slow down Cydia a fair chunk probably due to the amount of programs tbh

Gives you all sources for programmes and information SCutch, and my god does it slow Cydia down. I intend to get rid tbh. Happy with the phone as it is now, played around with settings etc over the last few days.

Searched for a fairly simple car theme without it on Sunday, couldn't find diddly squat.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, but what exactly are All Sources? All sources of what? Ketchup?

iReggae Reggae.

No.

It's updates Cydia with all the recommended sources available. The slower loading times are because it has to populate it's lists from a bigger list of sources.

Audi S1
Im yet to find anything a must have with jailbreaking it...

Ive done my desktop - which is cool
Video - cool

So what else do people recommend?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Not much really. The SNES and NES emulators are pretty good, as is the whole customisation of it all, including SMS tones. I guess it just makes the phone unique to you and your tastes.

Cupra
sbsettings is the most used of all Cydia apps for me, its really handy to be able to turn off Bluetooth/ wireless/ 3G/ push email easily when you don't need it, as well as kill running processes that also take up battery life. Appsync is also useful.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
This may have been asked earlier in the thread so sorry if it has, but does the 3GS run any slower when you JB with Redsnow and install Cydia?

i'm trying to think of reasons not to JB and thats the only reason i can think NOT to do it lol

seems to be full of win for me............

Fiat Panda 100hp
This may have been asked earlier in the thread so sorry if it has, but does the 3GS run any slower when you JB with Redsnow and install Cydia?

i'm trying to think of reasons not to JB and thats the only reason i can think NOT to do it lol

seems to be full of win for me............

It doesn't slow it down, but if you install loads of themes etc then it will slow down