ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jamie's boosted bean

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Nice car mate, how is it compared to standard?

Have you got your clutch fitted yet mate?

Thanks. It's a lot more fun to drive than a standard car, it just picks up speed so much quicker and it makes motorway driving in 5th a pleasure.

Not got my clutch done yet, andy is doing it this week as the cars down with him just now for some little tweeks!

RB Clio 182
Thanks. It's a lot more fun to drive than a standard car, it just picks up speed so much quicker and it makes motorway driving in 5th a pleasure.

Not got my clutch done yet, andy is doing it this week as the cars down with him just now for some little tweeks!

Ahh ok mate :)

Let me know how it drives with the new clutch, is it the 4 paddle helix one?

Have you had a little play with any big boys yet?? :D

Last edited:

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
If it's just the clutch plate you'll be fine...if pressure plate too you'll be having as much fun as me

It's just the clutch plate Wayne so it should be fine!

Here are a few more pictures of the car as it's down with andy just now for a few wee tweeks etc!

The pipe work has been changed to a solid silver pipe which I think looks really good!

e2ahybyg.jpg

Getting the map redone by chris@efi

veje2yqe.jpg

And my favourite picture that andy sent me

yvyra7ag.jpg

Cannot wait to get the car back!

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
What tweaks have you had done mate and what was up with the other map?

Thanks.

Slight flat spot when coming on boost, dead spot at the top of the accelerator and generally just a new map as andy changed mappers since I had my car done so naturally the new mapper wants to redo the whole map to his standards!

Tweeks include new intercooler pipe work and a fuel return line I believe and just a general check over now that the car has been used a little bit since getting the conversion done!

RB Clio 182
Slight flat spot when coming on boost, dead spot at the top of the accelerator and generally just a new map as andy changed mappers since I had my car done so naturally the new mapper wants to redo the whole map to his standards!

Tweeks include new intercooler pipe work and a fuel return line I believe and just a general check over now that the car has been used a little bit since getting the conversion done!

Sound good mate, keep us updated when you have a blast :)

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Well it's been a fairly mixed few weeks with the car.

Got it back after the tweeks from Andy and it was awesome. Totally different car to drive, a lot smoother with the power delivery. And it now shoots flames as well (inner chav released)

7422ec365236600a842948b4d4e66cc4.jpg

dc497348a7b9d2c0c202514da0347012.jpg

After having a shot of Andy's car with the PMS shifter I had to have one so got Andy to order one up for me. When it arrived I fitted it the next day. Really awesome piece of kit! I still need to make a surround for it, will probably make an alcantara one.

93e525f2da5c42188b7e9050d245bb14.jpg

When under the car I noticed that the exhaust link pipe was loose so I looked up and saw this

e70cea1a9734f6183edd76667d6d945a.jpg

Which is very frustrating as the car has barely done any mileage and I wanted to take it for a quick spin the check the shifter out!. But on the plus side andy is going to sort it out for me!

7581c8e1cf67fcb549ee8727f2fd2cde.jpg

Got some plans and bits and bobs to do over winter whilst the cars off the road.

2a9943aaa7c4e805ec37386464ad4d43.jpg

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good!
What brake set up did you go for? I'm about to order with G as well but can't decide on pads.
I went for Mintex M1144 pads in the end. I originally wanted ds2500's but they are double the price and my car hasn't seen the track yet so I couldn't justify the dc2500's. Il try the M1144's and if they are s**t then I will change them!

So went for:
HC front discs
Mintex M1144 pads
Goodridge pantom braided lines
Rear OEM discs
and super blue fluid

Also got @g172 to look into getting some bleed nipples as well as I know one of mine is chewed so would like to replace all of them!

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Great stuff, I've heard a few times and even scoff himself said a return line makes a huge difference to power delivery on them, the single feed isn't really too great but it did me, I'll be changing to a return line soon too [emoji1]

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Well it's been a while since I've updated this!

Long story short nothing has been happening apart from stuff breaking! But what do you expect from turbo'ing a car that's not designed to be turbo'd? Lol

So I bought the discs and pads and still haven't had time to fit them! As I was 7 days a week at work over Christmas and then started a new job at the start of January!

So I noticed that my gearbox was starting to drop oil. I replaced the diff seal but didn't do a very good job as it's still leaking oil so will give it another go and hopefully do a better job. Whilst doing the diff seal the first time I noticed that my turbo link pipe had cracked again but andy@clioturbo is being a top bloke and sending me a new one up as this is the second time it's cracked!

The car then developed a banging from the rear and became very unstable when accelerating. Took the rear dampers off and they are fucked. Can push the damper shaft in and it doesn't return. I got in touch with Spax as they are literally a week out of their 2 year warranty. They agreed to have them sent back, so I requested the fronts to be tested as well. A few days later they phone and tell me there is bad news. They said the tears tested fine -LOL BULLSHIT THEY ARE FUCKED - and one of the fronts is slightly seized. They said obviously we are pleased to have you as a customer and want to keep you happy so we can offer you a "large discount on a new kit". I declined this offer saying that it's not really acceptable that they are 2 years old, have done 15000 miles and have never been used in winter!! So he said he would speak to his superior and get back to me, hopefully we can get something sorted out.

So basically the cars not very healthy just now but the new job means more money and weekends off so should be able to get it running sweet again!

Can't really do a update with no pictures to here is a picture of how it looks just now!

f410954aae1214d05c93cdfd727fabea.jpg

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Just read all this. Very nice car. Do love a bean!!

Who was the original mapper that ClioTurbo used to use then?

Thanks! I love it as well when it's working it always puts a smile on my face!

I can't remember exactly but think it was a guy called Andy something, can't remember his surname unfortunately!

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
A bit off putting re boosting :-(

To be fair not that much of the breaking stuff has been linked to the turbo. Snapping the dogbone bolt was my fault through s**t driving. The leaking diff seal is possibly due to the turbo but it's a 77,000 mile gearbox so it could just be coincidence. The knackered shocks are just unlucky and the cracked downpipe is poor quality but there is a new updated part that andy is sending me so it should be better.

My advice would be that if your not handy enough/willing to get underneath it to fix it then don't bother going down the turbo route. I love driving it and don't mind getting underneath it every now and again but it seems that when it rains it pours with this car!

Good honest feedback would love to have mine done but wouldn't want it to be any less reliable had 10 good years from mine had it from new and it's only done 45k but still wicked to drive :)

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Just read all this. Very nice car. Do love a bean!!

Who was the original mapper that ClioTurbo used to use then?

Andrew Carr was the original mapper big name in the Subaru world he mapped my vag clio when Andy built it wonder if efi map mega squirt ecu`s

Lovely car mate shame things not always going to plan f ing great when there moving tho!

late 2003 172cup
I feel your pain pal. Mine was off road for a month, turned out to be my fuel pipe had come off the fuel pump in tank? Proper shocked after shed loads of other investigation work. Car was still getting fuel but not 3 bar of it.
Was a silly problem really. But at the time I was very disheartened with car.
Now I jump in and smiles are big.
Just a bit off down time mate. Be great when it's working again.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I can't imagine a car that brings a girly giggle when you plant it like a boosted clio lol

Yea it is ridiculously fun when its working. More just for the fast that people don't expect it and the turbo flutter it makes is so addictive!

car looks awesome. Is it not ment to be turbod? Same as the meg 225 engine isn't it... kind of?
Are they compomotive mo wheels?

Don't really know much about the 225 engines to be fair.

They are team dynamic pro race 3 wheels. They are in need of a refurb as they are pretty tatty now. Not sure what colour to go for. Not sure if I should keep them white or go for an anthracite type colour?

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
What a f**k about of a weekend! Was planning to do bilsteins, discs, pads, braided lines, bleed nipples, super blue fluid, track rod ends, ball joints, turbo down pipe and PMS stud kit.

2df13554ac9b7335f0cc894ddc96dbd9.jpg

Fitted my new bilsteins after my spax blew up, the rear really is high being stripped out so I'm going to remove the adjuster. Need to raise the front up quite a bit as well.

b1ebd273c7756ffbdd1d04dfcb0c1005.jpg

e2bbea238fc816f098424ee435b1b825.jpg

1538bae4ba0763c230ef335aec6ed877.jpg

Went to do the brakes and that was a bit of a fiddle but was ok. Went to do the braided lines and the union on the drivers side just rounded. Managed to get it undone but obviously had to change it as it was mashed. I had to flare it 5 times before it stopped leaking and I think it maybe is still leaking a little! Pain in the ass! After that I got the PMS studs fitted which was a nice easy quick job.

Went to change the bleed nipples so I could bleed the brakes and one of them snapped flat into the calliper! So much rage. Started drilling it out but had enough of that so just going to buy a second hand calliper off a mate!

Not even looked at the ball joints and track rod ends yet and they are the job I'm most dreading doing!

It's definitely a love hate relationship with this car! I currently hate it but know I'll love it when it's back working again!

Hope you get it sorted soon buddy!

You've probably seen on Facebook I've had a few issues with my car misfiring on boost or feeling like its hitting a limiter at 4,000RPM and after a new CTS and coil pack it seemed fine.... Until trying to get full boost the other day with TCS left on and it felt like it was cutting throttle but certainly wasn't missing! So now I think I may have an issue with that!

As @MrTom said though, such good fun when running right and I've only had minor or self inflicted issues with mine a year from boosting it! Definitely agree with your comment re. turbo'ing isn't for people who don't want to get their hands dirty! So much extra stress is being placed on all components so something is going to give somewhere!

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Hope you get it sorted soon buddy!

You've probably seen on Facebook I've had a few issues with my car misfiring on boost or feeling like its hitting a limiter at 4,000RPM and after a new CTS and coil pack it seemed fine.... Until trying to get full boost the other day with TCS left on and it felt like it was cutting throttle but certainly wasn't missing! So now I think I may have an issue with that!

As @MrTom said though, such good fun when running right and I've only had minor or self inflicted issues with mine a year from boosting it! Definitely agree with your comment re. turbo'ing isn't for people who don't want to get their hands dirty! So much extra stress is being placed on all components so something is going to give somewhere!

My coil pack came loose the other day and scared the s**t out of some pedestrians as it popped and banged it's way down the street! Haha

I've not really had that many problems mainly just small things like you! Although my engine is sounding very tappety just now so going to give it a service and see if it makes it any better.

I'm also looking to get launch control set up of anyone knows what's involved with doing that any advice would be appreciated!