ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jekyll's RB182 Progress Thread

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
great updates and nice to see love still being lavished on the old girl.

how the heck did you get a hole directly through the metal of the inner arch though? that's crazy!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@Radugns its given me no symptoms at the moment tbf and I gave it a good drive yesterday with no issues.

I do normally buy the Renault stuff but I needed it this week, so this was a easy choice. I'll keep an eye on it for now.

@Coops Mk1 yeah its crazy. And as I said, no water ingress. It must have been small or the dirt was covering it.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Car looks great, proper minter really like it and my favorite colour.

Didn't realize you were so close (ish) to me, im just the other side of Ipswich.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you mate!

Not sure on mint and certainy not as clean now as I got a fair bit of stones thrown at me from sundays blast from the car in front!

That map was for the meeting point. I'm actually in Harlow, Essex (J7 on M11)

I totally forgot to reply to your PM so I'll do so now.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Can get the ELF renault stuff for probably the same as you paid for the halfords stuff lol.
£30.50 off ebay, I ordered some the other day to do my box swap.

I forget which it was I swapped to at one poit and it made the crunches into 3rd twice as bad.
Gone back to the renault stuff and its almost completely elimited it.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
With trade card I saved £10. As said, I didn't think the elf stuff would have come in time and I was fortunate to use the ramp that day. It wasnt available after that so it worked well.

I've no crunches, or any negative symptoms for that matter, apart from the leak and whine, which I had before hand. It goes into every gear smooth, when normal and faster driving.....

So far!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
With trade card I saved £10. As said, I didn't think the elf stuff would have come in time and I was fortunate to use the ramp that day. It wasnt available after that so it worked well.

I've no crunches, or any negative symptoms for that matter, apart from the leak and whine, which I had before hand. It goes into every gear smooth, when normal and faster driving.....

So far!
Itll be grand

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
MOT day today. Passed with no advisories 👍

Just goes to show that mileage and age are just numbers, if they are well maintained 😀

20200714_163147-01.jpeg
20200714_172626-01.jpeg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Few more little bits been done.

I've added a sunstrip (again) and also a Vive le sport sticker. I got the idea from @frayz inferno and quite liked it as it broke it up without having something big. I chose the multi colours as it reminds me of fat willys surf shack stuff from when I was growing up and also a little homage to the old skool Renualts from the 80s that ran them on the bonnets.

50233910322_81ceda934a_c.jpg

Alex @ AWMotorworks said I had the wrong subframe fitted when my car was in with him. He managed to source me a 182 one (i have ph1 fitted) and got it power coated for me.

50233040308_8c690bee4e_c.jpg

Got my gearbox casing back from the vapour blasters. Myself and Alex had both ours done so after that, I took them to work and had them lacquered for a bit of protection and to keep them clean for longer.

50233909252_493c0124c4_c.jpg

50233694676_be467dcbfa_c.jpg

Pics of the front end now with sunstrip and sticker fitted. I like this picture.

50233042228_9dba6fb706_c.jpg

Unfortunately, after a good blast out last month and there being roadworks on 2 of the main roads on my journey (total of approx 10 miles each way) my front bumper is very much stone chipped now, which you can see above. Ideally I would like another front end spray job, but unsure when I can do that atm, so I'll be doing a lot of touch ins. Far from perfect, but certainly takes your eyes off it as its quite prominent in person.

I bought a brand new set of windscreen seals as the corners of mine kept popping up and it was really annoying me! Ordered from Renault genuine parts who where cheaper than Renault parts direct and came quickly. Quick easy job to do and they stay down now!

50233911897_be8e60e9a5_c.jpg

50233043328_7d9fe5086f_c.jpg

Thats all for now really. Just keeping track and updating while I remember. Its harder now with the photo limit, to do the project thread with 10 pics per post so I'm trying to shorten it but still add all the updates in.

Not sure when the gearbox is being fitted, but im in no rush. I think the subframe will be swapped over at the same time so ill swap all my arms and bushes over, etc while the gearbox is out. Clutch wise, I'm not sure whether to keep mine in or change. Its done around 30k and should be good, but we'll inspect it when it's removed. Will be changing the clutch cable though for a new one. I did think about possibly adding a quaife, but for now it wasnt needed and I want to try and keep unnecessary (big) costs down.

I think I'm starting to get a bit of paint bubbling on the insides of the wheels too so at some point I'll take them.off and inspect them. Need to do my centre caps that @Louis made me, but its just finding free time at the mo, which doesn't seem to be a much recently!

Thats all for now.

50233697166_96f3af0d58_c.jpg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Still looks great despite the odd battle scar mate. Just shows she’s used and loved. Quality update as usual, shame you couldn’t do the diff just yet. But it’s more than understandable to need to hold off for now. It will feel so nice when that fresh box goes in.
When the wheels get refreshed, you thinking of a colour change or staying white? 😏

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Looking good as ever mate. Seriously considering PPF for mine - sounds daft but I’m spending a fair amount on the paint so it makes sense in my head lol.

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Nice update Mark, car looking great as always :)

Has also made me consider getting a windscreen seal kit for mine!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Still looks great despite the odd battle scar mate. Just shows she’s used and loved. Quality update as usual, shame you couldn’t do the diff just yet. But it’s more than understandable to need to hold off for now. It will feel so nice when that fresh box goes in.
When the wheels get refreshed, you thinking of a colour change or staying white? 😏

Thats very true mate and I know you're right, but its still annoying when you try and keep it clean!

As for the quaife, yes a shame as I'm sure its a fantastic bit of kit, but for now, its just not needed. The good thing is, it can be added anytime should I want to in the future. In a way I'm glad I didn't go out in yours as ive save nearly a grand! 😅

As for wheel choice, I think the colours that work with RB are limited. Being such a vibrant colour, the ones that only work on 2118s are white, anthracite, or red. All other colours don't seem to work in my opinion. Different wheels perhaps so, but 2118s suit a few colours and even less so with racing blue.

Looking good as ever mate. Seriously considering PPF for mine - sounds daft but I’m spending a fair amount on the paint so it makes sense in my head lol.

Yes, its not a bad shout. The cost is what puts me off as I can do paint here cheap. A lot cheaper than PPF. Your in a different position i guess?

Still one of my favorite cars on here, you keep it so well.

Thanks mate. Thats nice to read and I appreciate the kind words. I think when you've owned a car for a while, you almost forget bits you've done. I do try and keep it the best I can with my capabilities whilst still being a daiky driver.

Nice update Mark, car looking great as always :)

Has also made me consider getting a windscreen seal kit for mine!

Thanks Ash.

I think its a common thing for them to lift. My old BG used to do it.

Here's what I bought:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Thats very true mate and I know you're right, but its still annoying when you try and keep it clean!

As for the quaife, yes a shame as I'm sure its a fantastic bit of kit, but for now, its just not needed. The good thing is, it can be added anytime should I want to in the future. In a way I'm glad I didn't go out in yours as ive save nearly a grand! 😅

As for wheel choice, I think the colours that work with RB are limited. Being such a vibrant colour, the ones that only work on 2118s are white, anthracite, or red. All other colours don't seem to work in my opinion. Different wheels perhaps so, but 2118s suit a few colours and even less so with racing blue.

Yes, its not a bad shout. The cost is what puts me off as I can do paint here cheap. A lot cheaper than PPF. Your in a different position i guess?

Thanks mate. Thats nice to read and I appreciate the kind words. I think when you've owned a car for a while, you almost forget bits you've done. I do try and keep it the best I can with my capabilities whilst still being a daiky driver.

Thanks Ash.

I think its a common thing for them to lift. My old BG used to do it.

Here's what I bought:

Yeah common to lift, found bending those little tabs that run up the side really help to keep it tight!

Owen

ClioSport Admin
A bloody brilliant car owned by a bloody brilliant bloke - always enjoy the updates Mark even if I don’t always comment.

My dad used to have a Fat Willys t-shirt which he’d wear on holidays when I was a kid - exactly what came to mind when I saw the sticker on the sun strip!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Few more updates. I went out for a Sunday drive a couple of months back with @MrBlonde @frayz and Scott (some may remember him from here, although he doesn't frequent any more). The route was done by Steve and it was a early one to miss the traffic and get a few blasts in before most people would be up. The meeting point was at 6:00am which was about 30mins away from home so i left mine around 5:30am. The back road was a B-road which i know and as the road was empty, it gave me a excuse to "warm" the car up! I stopped off on route to get a couple of shots as the roads was empty.

50429032702_71b591782e_c.jpg

50428163038_23a2c87f4e_c.jpg

After the 2nd photo was taken, i drove off as i was only about 10mins away from meeting the guys. The drive was spirited and upon turning round a corner and accelerating, a pigeon came out of nowhere and decided to play chicken. Well it didn't end well.....

50429032512_a5a766b045_c.jpg

I was gutted, but i wasn't about to let it ruin my morning. After Scott arrived (Steve and Frayz was already there) we set off on the planned route. The drive was perfect. Empty roads, good fun but respectful of the surroundings and each other, great weather, great people.

50428162433_9675b10689_c.jpg

50428162048_80d2db71a9_c.jpg

50428855241_48878c6228_c.jpg

We finished off with a nice breakfast at the end of the drive.

50428854641_c4d3d56be2_c.jpg

50428854491_ab8bbd1989_c.jpg

Got home and phone the insurance and organized to have my screen replaced, which would be done on the Wednesday (3 days later) so was happy with that. Took my sunstrip off in preparation.

50429030417_d9112aecf1_c.jpg

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
As promised, the windscreen came Wednesday and was fitted. As luck would have it, they supplied new windscreen rubbers! I let the sealer sit all day (screen was replaced in the morning) and then swapped the new rubbers over for my genuine ones.

50429030322_664babc25a_c.jpg

It has a slight red tint to it and the sensor in the bottom in more oval than rectangle, but other than that, its all good. Nice to have a non scratched and chipped windscreen and now i don't even notice the tint or sensor.

50428160698_82e58ae65c_c.jpg

I had ordered a new sunstrip which came on the next day, so after work, i got my little helper (wife) to give me a hand. Easier with 2 people, however i think she got into it more than i expected!

50428160618_53bdd73189_c.jpg

50428160518_925bbb3fcf_c.jpg

New vive le sport sticker came a few days later, so that was fitted also.

50428159358_1994e5bbbf_c.jpg

I love this shot!

50428852571_2a490dda31_c.jpg

And then a embarrassing moment happened. I broke down on the way home from work..... because i ran out of fuel! I trusted the trip computer even though the gauge was empty! Thankfully i was 10 mins away from my wifes work so after a quick phone call to her, she left work, got me a jerry can and fuel and came to my rescue! I even had time for a couple of pics!

50428158858_8cba7b2bc2_c.jpg

50428158638_bf87a60228_c.jpg

Super Emily to the rescue!

Next up was a quick touch up of RB on the front bumper. I think i have more touch ins than proper paint now, but still passes the 10ft test.

50428850686_b462d13247_c.jpg

50429026402_b28d2b8260_c.jpg

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Met up with @Coops Mk1 after all these years as he bought a set of wheels that a chap from work was selling. A great chap, and nice to have me finally after years of speaking on here. Would rude not to get a few pics of both our RB's together.

50429022242_1839bbe565_c.jpg

50428846231_943c446b1f_c.jpg

50428152028_2680d61fe2_c.jpg

50428151908_1b386d24d6_c.jpg

50429021627_ae3ba91fbf_c.jpg

50429021457_f92f2459e9_c.jpg

And one of Ben getting the shot!

50428845801_a473f2aa1e_c.jpg

That weekend i was going to Caffeine & Machine so i gave the car a good clean. This included washing, going over with the DA and dressing all the plastics and waxing the wheels.

Few pics of the after work midway clean.

50428151103_968891d9fd_c.jpg

50428150993_a27df68b63_c.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Met up with the usual crew and @Ash J came along also. Trophy is mega clean!

The company and weather was great, but unfortunately the venue was rubbish. Very empty and didn't have the same vibe as my previous visits. A shame really as i had bigged it up, but hey ho. Few pics from there.

50429020237_7b1bf404d7_c.jpg

50428843736_a5ebfd2218_c.jpg

50428842816_9b5bee5bfa_c.jpg

50428146533_ab771aff76_c.jpg

Few more pics found here:

Having seen Alex recently have a off at track and writing off his RB, it made sense to grab some bits. I have got the front bumper and tailgate. The bumper i will repaint and either keep the fogs, or cold feed them again. This time i'll use the ones @frayz has as they bolt onto the existing fog light brackets. I thought about tinting the fogs yellow, but i don't think it'll work. This wont be for a while yet, perhaps over xmas or even the new year. The tailgate i got, because i want the rear screen which is in good condition. My one has scuff marks from when i sanded down the tailgate for painting 2 years ago (a rookie mistake) and its bugged me ever since. My plan is to remove both screens and bond the replacement one on. I think i will keep it wiper-less, but add a blank rather than a kill all wipers insert. This is because i feel it needs a little bit of shape there and although the K.A.W. kit is good, it looks a little flat i think.

I also grabbed some door glass rubbers as they are in better condition than my ones. He was also doing a big Renault order via RPD and my rear wheel bearings are humming, so i asked him to order me a full set of discs. The fronts i have are Brembo HC's and Renault have redesigned the new discs so they are more vented, so i'll fit them soon.

50453354012_99ba52970f_c.jpg

50453356377_dfc2126b8b_c.jpg

50452482633_3ff3660de8_c.jpg

50453353412_8a9f5cd9ba_c.jpg

50453354722_b9cc4c9f12_c.jpg

Lastly, my rear view mirror cover has broke. I never noticed it before until after the windscreen was replaced (it was loose when i adjusted the mirror) so my guess is he snapped it when fitting the new screen. I think that the part is this:

Can someone please confirm this? And is it black as i found one in silver too, which i don't want.

That's all for now, thanks for reading.

50429014202_bb173e57e0_c.jpg

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Were you absolutely tanking it when you hit the pigeon? Properly obliterated your windscreen!

Glad you finally sourced some good window seals, i know you were after them for a while.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Alex @ AW Motorworks has messaged to say my gearbox has now been rebuilt.

IMG-20201103-WA0000.jpg

Just need to sort out a date to get it fitted. The plan is to do it along with my correct subframe i have, but finding time for us both to suit isn't set yet.

I also managed to buy a brand new ph1 indicator stalk from @Ash J after he put it up for sale. Will swap this for my one (which is in good condition tbh) as this is new and has both foglight capability. My current one is just rear fog, but I don't run fogs anyway so perfect for that. My replacement front bumper has fogs so will be perfect for that. He's selling a few items and all are in excellent condition, so check his for sale threads should you want anything. Top guy and trusted seller.

20201107_092644.jpg

And lastly the weather was nice this weekend and on Friday I cleaned the car, so I took the opportunity (as always!) to get some pics.

1.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
12.jpg

This one is my favourite.

2.jpg

Unfortunately the weather has been rubbish since and now the car is dirty!