ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jekyll's RB182 Progress Thread

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Looking great Mark and some cracking progress ticking jobs off. Glad I bought new genuine wishbones last year now for stock ready to sort my subframe etc later this year. So much stuff going nla now it's worrying. Reliving the mk1 nightmare of parts acquisition all over again

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member

RSPez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio RB 182
I have so much to do with mine!!!!
Absolutely love looking at other people's projects and I'm super stoked when the notification pings for this thread.

Car as always looks good,
Wheels wise for me either or look spot on.
I do like the 2118 but they are over done but I'm sure I will own some at some point.

X3MA wheels look great on the RB possibly on black they would look better?

How are you finding the black series wishbones on the road? Are they really stiff?
Reason I'm asking is that I got some wishbones from RPD a few months ago and now you have said about the sides I'm concerned.

Glad you have sorted the injector fault now and it sounds awesome.
Looking good for an old girl too ;)

Pez

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry for the late reply chaps.

Also, on a side note I think the X3MA wheels look really good in that dark colour. However horses for courses.

They do. But I'm not quite sure on that colour. I think the sidewall in the tyres is curved slightly which threw me away. However I've seen them in black and they look quite hard.

I do too, but im bias :D

Inspired!

The old girl is looking great Mark👍. Just shows you can never stop looking after them now they are getting on a bit.

100% mate. Soon enough you won't see many on the road.

Hold my 🍺

Looking great Mark and some cracking progress ticking jobs off. Glad I bought new genuine wishbones last year now for stock ready to sort my subframe etc later this year. So much stuff going nla now it's worrying. Reliving the mk1 nightmare of parts acquisition all over again

Oh and those other wheels whatever they are, massive improvement. White sucks, 2118's suck

Agreed and then disagreed!

Congrats on baby Drew

Car looks lovely!

Thanks Jon.

I have so much to do with mine!!!!
Absolutely love looking at other people's projects and I'm super stoked when the notification pings for this thread.

Car as always looks good,
Wheels wise for me either or look spot on.
I do like the 2118 but they are over done but I'm sure I will own some at some point.

X3MA wheels look great on the RB possibly on black they would look better?

How are you finding the black series wishbones on the road? Are they really stiff?
Reason I'm asking is that I got some wishbones from RPD a few months ago and now you have said about the sides I'm concerned.

Glad you have sorted the injector fault now and it sounds awesome.
Looking good for an old girl too ;)

Pez

Thanks Pez!

I try and keep it updated and with all things thats done to it, positive or negative.

The bushes aren't that stiff. We'll not enough to put me off. They are stiffer and feels good though.

what upper engine mount is that?

also loving the work you do!

Thanks. Engine mount is a Vibratechnics mount, just the plate has been painted.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Have not updated this in ages and to be honest, since the last update, not a lot has happened!

This broke on the boot. I can't even remember what the issue was looking back the pics. I think maybe the boot wasn't locking but it was a while back and my memory isn't super great! Luckily I had a spare tailgate I got ages ago, that I planned on respraying so I took the parts off that and presto, it worked again.

20210831_173619.jpg
20210901_155642.jpg

Next up, I bought a Denison Bluetooth kit for the RB. This plugs straight into the OE head unit and replaces the CD changer or the tune point that I had previously fitted. Being Bluetooth means I can stream Spotify over easy peasy and it comes with a mic, so I can make hands free calls also. I routed the box under the glove box, and routed the mic lead up the passenger A piller, across to the rear view mirror and sat the mic on the sensor cover.

20210821_114751.jpg
20210821_112403.jpg

I've noticed my exhaust sounds a bit blowy, so I checked underneath and the welds have split on the sides of either tailpipe and also on one of the brackets. My plan was to get this welded up but I may look into a different system. I love the look of the tailpipes and like the sound, but hate seeing the rear centre back box. For now, I've done nothing and it's still cracked and I've carried on! 🤣

20210826_164904.jpg

I've done a few oil changes also. Not sure how many but at least 3. When doing them one time, the studs that hold the fuel rail cover snapped. A quick stop at AW Motorworks (well for my wife as she was local and collected them) had me sorted again as he had a few spare.

20210901_181416.jpg
20210902_063417.jpg
20210903_083204.jpg

During this time, I washed it less and less and then it needed it so I cleaned it along with my sons cozy coupe

20220119_163934-01.jpeg
20220321_155257-01.jpeg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I seem to have lost a few pics of stuff I've done. I bought a stahlbus easy oil drainer and fitted that. It does make driving a little more simple/less messy but because of the height I'm currently on, I didn't really like how low it sat. As I have no protection like a sump guard, I was worried the valve may catch or even pull out when driving, so I've gone back to standard for now. I've kept it for a later date though as its a good design, well made kit and I think the stock on this size seems rarer, so I'd regret selling it I think.

20210927_155238.jpg
20210927_155127.jpg

Driving to work and I noticed this when I pulled up.

20220424_143850.jpg

Yep, CV gaiter split. Ordered a new one from my local motor factor's who supplied my driveshaft and got that fitted. Being that the gearbox oil was fairly new, I kept it and reused it.

20220508_080056.jpg
20220508_080107.jpg

Had to make a DIY gearbox oil filler out of some old garden hose, a old funnel and some ally tube, but it worked a treat!

20220508_095615.jpg
20220508_100142.jpg

When I fitted the new outer gaiter, I had to remove the inner gaiter. Unfortunately, behind the rubber is a bearing that I had to knock down. Unfortunately I ruined the cage doing so, so I had to order a new inner gaiter. Once again, a call to my local factor's got me a new one. Turns out there's 4 bearing sizes, but this one was 28mm for anyone that runs a shaftec shaft.

2022-07-14_07-30-38.jpg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I seem to have lost a few pics of stuff I've done. I bought a stahlbus easy oil drainer and fitted that. It does make driving a little more simple/less messy but because of the height I'm currently on, I didn't really like how low it sat. As I have no protection like a sump guard, I was worried the valve may catch or even pull out when driving, so I've gone back to standard for now. I've kept it for a later date though as its a good design, well made kit and I think the stock on this size seems rarer, so I'd regret selling it I think.

View attachment 1602583View attachment 1602584

Driving to work and I noticed this when I pulled up.

View attachment 1602585
View attachment 1602586View attachment 1602587

Yep, CV gaiter split. Ordered a new one from my local motor factor's who supplied my driveshaft and got that fitted. Being that the gearbox oil was fairly new, I kept it and reused it.

View attachment 1602588View attachment 1602589

Had to make a DIY gearbox oil filler out of some old garden hose, a old funnel and some ally tube, but it worked a treat!

View attachment 1602590View attachment 1602591

When I fitted the new outer gaiter, I had to remove the inner gaiter. Unfortunately, behind the rubber is a bearing that I had to knock down. Unfortunately I ruined the cage doing so, so I had to order a new inner gaiter. Once again, a call to my local factor's got me a new one. Turns out there's 4 bearing sizes, but this one was 28mm for anyone that runs a shaftec shaft.

View attachment 1602593
I tried to put the gearbox gaiter bracket over inner boot (opposite ABS ring) and warped it. Got a leak. Luckily I winged it and Shaftec replaced F.O.C.

Second time around I just removed the outer boot clip and it slid over, then replaced with a new clip. Annoying that these shafts don’t come with the gearbox bracket pre-installed.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Fast forward to the weekend just gone and the clio git it's 3rd wash of the year! Spare time isn't as free as it was, pre kid so that explains that. Plus I've kind of fell out of love with it a tad as its used as a A to B car and I have to pick up my son 4 days a week so it feels a bit less special.

There's rust on both rear arches now, which is really annoying as I thought I ground it all out years ago. The rear tailgate has some big chip on it, which I don't even know what that came from ive done a temp cover up and from a distance, looks OK. The front bumper is super pebble dashed as is the bonnet with a few rust spots. There's probably a bit more. I think I'm probably being too fussy but it's hard to keep a car clean and perfect, being used daily, 200ish miles a week, through all seasons. But to be fair, it's done 40k since it was painted, so I shouldn't be too cut up.

20220709_082541-01.jpeg

I've had some silver paint that was recommended to me by @MrBlonde for ages. Wanted to get rid of the blue calipers and go for a more normal colour I was choosing between silver and anthracite. Silver won as it'll always be easy to touch up and just looks more OE, clean looking. This stuff is a 2 part mix but took absolutely ages to go off, even with the hot weather. Had to leave the car overnight at work and collect the next day.

20220709_090420.jpg
20220709_181551.jpg
20220709_181557.jpg

I also sealed in the rubber bungs on the tailgate, as I was getting a little damp in the boot and I think it's a common fault for it to be this.

20220709_140656.jpg
20220709_140700.jpg
20220709_141308.jpg
20220709_141313.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
This week had the clios MOT. He passed it but the advisories was headlight being a bit high on the passenger side and the drivers rear caliper being not that great. My guess is a sticky slider? Either way, it passed for another year, but I'll rectify these issues ASAP. The car will tick over 165k by the end of the week.

20220713_053805-01.jpeg
20220712_162449-01.jpeg

My taxi to and from the mot station was a ride in some summer 80s style!

20220712_162255.jpg

Treated the RB to some new clean plates too as the front was too yellow for my liking. Ordered off Proplates and arrives after 2 days.

20220713_125724.jpg
20220713_125744.jpg

So that's it all up to date. Plans are still from the last big update last year, and just general maintenance. I'll be taking the RB to CSF this year and am looking forward to catching up with lot of you there. I'll be with my wife and son and be nice to introduce him to cars on track and meet you lot. Weather looks to be awesome and not having a CSF for a few years, I think this year may be the best yet!

Thanks for reading.

Ritch_Kid26

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182
Nice to see my 2nd favourite Clio passing it’s MOT and still going strong after 160k and getting some TLC. [emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
It's still looking great Mark 👍. Still seems like it was resprayed recently, not long enough to do 40k since! It's impossible to keep a car mint using it daily but give it a few fun runs out and the love will come back.

P. S. I'm looking forward to catching up with you and Emily and meeting the new boss.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
This week had the clios MOT. He passed it but the advisories was headlight being a bit high on the passenger side and the drivers rear caliper being not that great. My guess is a sticky slider? Either way, it passed for another year, but I'll rectify these issues ASAP. The car will tick over 165k by the end of the week.

View attachment 1602608View attachment 1602607

My taxi to and from the mot station was a ride in some summer 80s style!

View attachment 1602609

Treated the RB to some new clean plates too as the front was too yellow for my liking. Ordered off Proplates and arrives after 2 days.

View attachment 1602610View attachment 1602611

So that's it all up to date. Plans are still from the last big update last year, and just general maintenance. I'll be taking the RB to CSF this year and am looking forward to catching up with lot of you there. I'll be with my wife and son and be nice to introduce him to cars on track and meet you lot. Weather looks to be awesome and not having a CSF for a few years, I think this year may be the best yet!

Thanks for reading.
Can you please post some photos of the rust to get all the trolls off my back and onto yours.

Thanks

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
So went to CSF and had a wicked time. Been way too long and it was good to meet up with old and new. Loads of people made the effort with Drew which was nice and the weather was banging. A brilliant weekend.

Travelled up with @MrBlonde

20220715_123655-01.jpeg
20220715_164404-01.jpeg

Didn't take many of the show as spent too much time chatting.

Come back from the show and thought about new suspension. Was torn between getting BCs or Bilsteins, having had both before. I opted for BCs this time, and ordered @CFAB abs brackets also. Excellent service from them, arriving quickly. Once they all arrived I got to work and fitted them. Wanting to still keep the PMS top mounts, I heard mixed reviews saying it could or couldn't be done, so I had a play. Turns out it can be done but have to use the BC top hat with interrogated bearing and lower sleeve and then the PMS bearings and top sleeved nut. Reason I wanted to keep the PMS top mount is I like the design and want to run the strut brace in future. Plus where the turrets have been drilled for the top mounts (previously done before I owned the car) the holes would be exposed using the BC top mount and the "holes" aren't pretty 😅

20220807_070837-01.jpeg
20220807_071349-01.jpeg
20220807_075340-01.jpeg
20220807_080532-01.jpeg
20220807_090254-01.jpeg
20220807_091631-01.jpeg
20220807_093100-01.jpeg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
So from these vids, I'm using the BC top hat with the integrated bearing and lower sleeve.

Then the PMS mount. The bearing has a slightly wider ID so there's little play. However I'm using the PMS top sleeved nut and it seems to centralise it all, leaving no play as the bearing is now pressed down on the BC lower sleeve and the top nut has sleeved out the excess play, thus making it fine.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I did notice that since fitting the BCs, the track was wider. I was running 16mm front spacers before with the Bilsteins and it looked visually bang on for my liking, but it sat too far out with the BCs. It looks like the part where the hub mounting holes are, is wider than the Bilsteins, so wondering if it pushes the hub out more? I'm not sure why, but it definitely stuck out further, so for the time being, I'm now running no spacers at all. I've also reverted back to standard wheel bolts as my stud/nut kit was too long as they accounted for the previous spacers.

20220813_094140.jpg

The pic doesn't really show how far the spacers stuck out, but it was too much for me. I'd like to add a 5mm to 10mm spacer just to give it a little extra but the 10mm one I'd have to get machined whereas a 5mm is off the shelf. Plus being 10mm, I'd lose a bit more hub lip. I'll do some homework at a later date and once the spacers are fitted, I'll order some new stud/nut kit to fit once the measurements are figured out.

So once the coilovers was fitted, I did 40ish miles and all felt good. I had a day out and when driving back, all was good and I was coming up to a roundabout. Engaged the clutch and bang, clutch pedal goes completely floppy. Coasted over the roundabout and managed to ease into a lay by I knew of. (I'm approx sub 10miles from home)

Had a little nose around and turned out my clutch cable had snapped. This pissed me off a bit as it was a brand new genuine Renault item bought and fitted last year. But alas, it was broke and i was broken down. Called the AA who we are with and the AA man tried making a cable in situ, but it was dark and late, plus he was at the roadside so was limited. Basically I ended up being towed, but work was only 10 miles away so he took me there and I had wife pick me up. (The funky shorts was because I was coming back from a day at a outside park and paddling pool! 😅)

IMG-20220807-WA0019-01.jpeg
20220807_221404_005_saved-01.jpeg
20220807_223707-01.jpeg

Once i was back at work the next day, i ordered a new cable from our local motor factors. Ordered at 8:30am and delivered by 10:30am!

20220808_100433-01.jpeg
20220808_130545-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
So one day after work I opted to change the cable. I read a few threads on here and I'll be honest, it wasn't a job I was particularly looking forward to doing. I've never done a clutch cable before and I know in the footwell, access is a bit tight. On one of the threads I read, I saw @Louis had done one recently so I dropped him a message. Pictures of this job are a bit limited and I'm a culprit myself as I think with this job, you just want to crack on and get it done.

@Louis was basically my on call phone help and he really did. Just made things more easier to see rather than just guess. So many thanks buddy, it was very much appreciated!

20220810_161745.jpg
20220810_162501.jpg
20220810_164226.jpg
20220810_170730.jpg
20220810_182309.jpg
20220810_194731.jpg
20220810_194414.jpg

My pictures don't show a lot really but thought I'd add them anyway. I found this thread helpful.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Next job was the exhaust. It had got quite bad and I was worried that at one point, the mounting bracket would snap off during driving. Since I've decided that I don't like the back box, thought it'll be a disposal system so I decided to weld it myself. I'm no welder but can do the basics, however we've only got a mild steel mig at work. You can weld stainless with it, but obviously it'll go rusty. Also, the torch/gun is quite big compared to tig ends so I found trying to get in the gaps where the tailpipes are, was a bit hard. Plus it was really hot that day and wasn't feeling being stuck at work doing this job!

So basically I've welded it. It's not pretty, but it's structural. Sanded down the welds and gave them a bit of silver paint, just to hide it a bit. Plan is to remove this system at some point and replace with another, so that's why I wasn't bothered about butchering it as such. Now that the exhaust has been refitted and settled, the paint has blended in a bit more and being low down, you don't see it that much.

20220813_135614.jpg
20220813_135619.jpg
20220813_142217.jpg

With a Scotland driving trip coming up (been planned for a year) I needed new front tyres. The rears still have loads of life in them, so I just ordered a pair. I ordered 2x new AD08rs's. Cheapest place fitted was Halfords which i have locally so that was done. (This was actually done before the BCs was fitted but I forgot to add it in the 1st post)

20220803_163848-01.jpeg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Few other pre Scotland jobs was oil/filter change, pollen filter and rear brake pad change. One of my MOT advisories was the drivers rear caliper wasn't doing anything so while I was changing the pads, I removed the sliders, gave them a clean and added caliper grease. They was stiff before and slide nice now so I'm wandering/hoping that it was just a sticky caliper. I'll take it back to the garage for them to check before I buy new rear calipers.

20220831_053750.jpg
20220831_055347.jpg
20220831_165826.jpg
20220831_165936.jpg
20220903_082108.jpg

All was fine and easy jobs. Then this week, my alternator decided it didn't want to play ball. This was on the Wednesday evening and I drive up to Scotland today (Sunday) so timing wasn't ideal.

I spoke to Alex @ AW Motorworks and he could get a Bosch one next day. So I ordered that on Thursday morning and true to his word, arrived on Friday. Having a half day, I left work and drove to his place. Once there, I fitted the new one and had power again. Having the cup setup makes it a lot easier to change the alternator. It works as it should, but it is a bit louder than previous one.

20220909_143824.jpg
20220909_145107.jpg

I then drove back to work to give the front brakes a clean up and I wanted to remove the rear seats to allow me more space in the boot for camping equipment. Isofix bar came out easy as I've had that off recently, but as expected, the seat brackets didn't! Stupid torx head bolt rounded which I knew would. I cut the head off with a grinder and originally tried doing the double nut trick as I had enough threads showing but the bolt wasn't budging. Mostly because the lower part is seen to the elements so was rusty and seized. So out came the trusty welder again and I welded a nut to it and buzzed it off. (I disconnected the battery first and used a welding blanket around the stud and surrounding areas)

20220909_185558.jpg
20220909_185602.jpg

As I plan to refit the seats once I'm back, I will order some hex head bolts to replace the torx one. The one closest to the dash is fine as the bracket is U shaped so just slides in, but the back bolt will need replacing. I've cleaned the threads and temporarily fitted some bolts in place with copper grease, just so I haven't got exposed holes for the trip.

Packed the car up and gave it a quick wash all ready to head up north!

20220910_175313.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I think is more a different camber, and not a wider track, or?

Your posts are always the ones I love to read, always!!

Quite possibly mate as the BC top mount allow for camerber adjustment, whereas the PMS are fixed and the caner is adjusted via the hub parts on the coilovers. But it was definitely noticeable and not in a good way. I like a little "tuck" when I fit spacers to make it more OE looking but this was more than that.

And thanks. Sometimes it's nice to do a little write up.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Great updates and still love this car. Sits lovely and the blue/white combo is brilliant.

Think you need to have a look at that rear chassis rail though. Don't want that rust getting too bad.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Great updates and still love this car. Sits lovely and the blue/white combo is brilliant.

Think you need to have a look at that rear chassis rail though. Don't want that rust getting too bad.

Thanks.

The plan is hopefully when we get a new car, I'll have my wifes nissan note and the clio will come off the road. Once thats done, I'll be looking to get the paintwork sorted as well as refurbishing and powder coating/painting parts. I'll also be doing the underside and removing rust and stone gaurding it. This current engine uses oil so I've spoken to Alex @ AWM and we have been in talks about a engine rebuild. This will all take time and its funds depending, but that's the plan.

Last edited:

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
That rear beams mint!

Always a pleasure markus, glad you got sorted

Beam is fine. Chassis leg above the spring seat will want attention sooner or later though. Not taking anything away from the car at all, but it wants a bit of a grind back to see how close it is to going through.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Great updates

For the record though you don't need to remove both torx holding rear bench in the middle, one is fixed and the bracket is open that side to just hook under iirc

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I've got rear caliper issues too, must be an age thing, mines the handbrake mech on the drivers side has totally seized up, cannot for love nor money get it to shift so I'm just getting new calipers which I'll fit to the oddy then the RB can have the ones from the oddy which are fine

Same with number plates, I need new ones as mine have now gone manky, lol

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
3rd world problems eh Ben!

Yeah I did know that about the torx and bracket being slotted. In fact I may have just done it a 1/2 turn just so it wasn't butted up but it's minimal. Ots always the one nearest to the boot that gives most issues.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
What et are your 2118's and what tyre combo. Going to have to order mine shortly as i plan to use mine over winter