ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JMS 182 Racecar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  TrackCar & F30 330d
Image is deceiving.

Stock rad core: 16" x 20" =320 sq"
New rad core: 13"x 26" = 338 sq"

= 5.6% increase in total surface area. I'll examine the core in more detail when I collect the car.

I don't know if this is really going to make a difference but having a hugely wide rad wil mean the alternator won't get as much cool air passing over it? Could cause alternator failures?

all that messing around and fab work for a 5.6% increase in total surface area? :S

Boys and girls. It's not being used for surface area increase, it is being used to give plenty of room up top for runner length and a proper filter / airbox. The jenvey kit needs longer runners over the AT equivalents for good torque, around 320mm is ideal. The rad provides the clearance. And it was free.

With all the extra you have spent on trinkets you won't feel the benefit from it prob would have paid for a years worth of race entries!!

The car will have a packed calender of events, both competitive and non competitive throughout the next two years. Reliability is important, 'feel' has nothing to do with it, but thank you for the spending advice!

Last edited:
Some more 'trinkets' ;) have arrived.

87.jpg

86.jpg

- Dash 2
- Can/Serial adapter
- Dash 2 menu cycle button Kit
- Oil Pressure Sensor
- Oil Temperature Sensor

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
i arent ?? tut tut Dave.

Trying to fit in with the CS lingo a bit more these days Tony ...

I assumed that my moderator application was turned down due to my impeccable use of the english language, so im trying a new direction!

As you're a racer, will this add anything to the car at all? Or is Tom just over-engineering again ;)

Simplicity, reliability, clear data on the running state of the car, lap times, shift lights, future proof electronics... would you like me to go on?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Simplicity, reliability, clear data on the running state of the car, lap times, shift lights, future proof electronics... would you like me to go on?

Nah, i can see the benefits, its an epic bit of kit, but maybe slight overkill? Esp. For your 1st season of racing - u might not even like it ;)

In addition, the car will be perfect in year 1! What u gonna tinker with/upgrade for next year lol ...

Nah, i can see the benefits, its an epic bit of kit, but maybe slight overkill? Esp. For your 1st season of racing - u might not even like it ;)

In addition, the car will be perfect in year 1! What u gonna tinker with/upgrade for next year lol ...

The problem is thus. EC1 control and loom - no stock stuff left at all. Making all that work with the stock dash, controls, adding extra dials for this and that = cost and ball ache. Why not do it properly first time round?

Truth be told the dash 2 is actually a buget screen that is well suited for this type of car. The motec stuff is thousands.

I don't want to be tinkering with it beyond maintaining it over the next two years.

A sequential would be overkill... (and make the car unapplicable)

Making all that work with the stock dash, controls, adding extra dials for this and that = cost and ball ache.

or just sack off the bulked up PH2 clocks and use Ph1 172 clocks which wire straight in from the sensors without the need for a UCH/MTU.........done ;)

FormulaFord Ecoboost
What are your plans for mounting the new display? I assume it's fairly easy to remove the existing clocks and dials?

Does the digital dash work off the standard plugs are will you need to rewire? I did consider the likes of the ETB DigiDash2 Lite.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I've got the same dash going on my first racecar. With the amount of information you can have displayed its surprisingly good value for money. I need it to link in with my gearbox as well as an addition.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

would be massively overkill in my car then...lol
...meh

Car is back with me from today and I spent lunch working on some of the interior details.

Wheeled it out into the corner of the yard for some pictures and too blow out all of the metal swarf etc.

Very happy with the cage:

89.jpg

90.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

94.jpg

Cleaned up the steering column of excess material and key barrel.

Experimented with the height adjustment on the steering wheel. Going to attach and stiffen the column to the bulkhead, but retain the slot based adjustment that can be altered in a couple of minutes for a more flexible wheel position.

91.jpg

Picked up fatboy seat and popped it in the car for a rough fit.

101.jpg

Able bodied workshop monkey climbed in the car for a look at the driving position:

99.jpg

Experimented with dash position etc:

97.jpg

102.jpg

And finally a quaife box arrived!

103.jpg

BMW Z4
Looking at these pics makes me reliase how much more I have to do :( My next big build is on the 8th 9th and 10th April gonna do 40 hours in 3 days lol

Status
Not open for further replies.