ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jon's Trackday PH1 172 project thread

172, Tiguan
Hopefully i'll find some time to get it all connected back up this week before I go back up north.

172, Tiguan
Spent an hour last night beginning to attach it all back up again. Engine was shifted to the correct angle then I reattached the upper and lower gearbox mounts. The top engine mount was loosely put in place. Also sprayed up the last alt bracket from a 172 Cup that enables me to do away with the heavy aircon compressor. That's the first job this evening.

thumb.gif

c5e4774c.jpg

7d55fe4d.jpg

abcc9c78.jpg

172, Tiguan
After dropping off the old seats to their new owner (cheers Jamie) I got home and found dad had spent a few hours already on the car. He'd jacked the car up onto ramps (lol) to start with.

The starter motor was on which i was glad of as it's a b*****d of a job hidden up in between the block and the exhaust manifold. He'd also fitted the alternator and power steering pump + the belt.

I then worked round the engine fitting inlets, coil pack, throttle body + cable, oil pressure switches, fuel rails, tdc sensors, etc etc. Managed to waste some time by fitting upper inlet and then realising the plug leads weren't in place.
angry.gif
It all had to come off again.

215a345e.jpg

edaca659.jpg

9dd2edbb.jpg

07723609.jpg

(later RS stamped lower inlet - better flow than non-stamped)

1945ddc0.jpg

4cd1f259.jpg

4470a080.jpg

5fdb711a.jpg

(Airbox needs connecting up - from a V6 Espace)

I was so close to getting the thing started but I want to get the rad in place first and it all plumbed back together. Once thats done we are good to go, fingers crossed.

We have a slight issue in that one of the PAS pipes will have to be bent to clear the rad. Because it's no running a 172 Cup alt setup to remove the aircon the pas pump has moved and as you can see the pipe will foul the rad.

6eadaf8b.jpg

56ba08e7.jpg

340dba1b.jpg

Apparently it can be slowly bent to a new shape.

I do have this left over (was in a tub marked gearbox mount!) God knows where it goes:

930f2f97.jpg

lol.gif

Finally a sneaky pic of new seats rested in place:

c12c2610.jpg

6116efc5.jpg

Back up north tonight so thats where she'll sit for a week or so.

thumb.gif

172, Tiguan
If that's all I've done wrong i'm well chuffed.

Got to get the rad in and then bend that pipe some more....parp!

172, Tiguan
Cheers. I can't wait to get the seats in properly.

Providing the engine starts next week it's then off to get the rollcage put in.

172, Tiguan
So, Friday night I was meant to drive north to home straight from work but with it being a bank holiday weekend the traffic was a nightmare and the M25 a joke. Instead I decided to go back to Mum and Dads for tea and then drive north later once the traffic had died down.

This meant I had an hour to fiddle with the car.
lol.gif

Double checking everything was plugged in, I then connected up the battery and the stupid alarm went mental. Deafened, I turned the ignition key, let everything whirl into life and turned the key further:

th_7c99fd4b.jpg

Bugger.

After 10 mins of looking round I saw there were 2 positive feeds to the battery, not just one. LOL.

Second time lucky and the car fired, but ran on two. It was popping and banging, so we shut it off and removed the inlets. The leads all looked OK, but I don't think they'd seated properly on the coil pack. Quick fiddle with them and then:

th_57dd4f13.jpg

Didn't run it for very long as the rad isn't connected up, so there is no water in it, but thats the first job next week.

thumb.gif

172, Tiguan
Home alone this week as parents are away (again). Spent all night on the car that started with some good progress and ended in frustration.

First off I spent an hour or so bending the metal PAS pipe that connects the flexi pipe to the PAS pump. As I've mentioned before the PAS pump moves using the Cup setup and has to be bent to shape. It's a bit nerve-racking, but got there in the end and it clears the rad. Connected that all up and filled the system with PAS fluid.

Next up I fitted the rad and the hoses back in place. I'd completely forgotten which order they came off in and where what went, but I got there in the end. The system takes 7.1 of fluid, but put 3 in and the header tank was full. Wasn't starting the car, so let it be. I'll get back to that.

dd241898.jpg

Next up I've bought a few cosmetic bits, different coloured bumpers, mirrors and sidestrips. Changed the mirrors and the sidestrips.

366946e2.jpg

82d8a7e9.jpg

Then fitted the slam panel

192ec4ad.jpg

then decided to put one of the seat subframes in the car.

ad731251.jpg

I've bought bolts that were too long, but more of an issue is the Cobra subframes don't fit the OMP sidemounts i've got.

bb991b8f.jpg

324192d9.jpg

ab7cb396.jpg

I've either got to buy a whole other set of Cobra sidemounts, or buy OMP subframes, or get these modified. As a short term solution (just so i can get the car mobile) I'm going to source some steel and bolt it all down. Thoughts appreciated!

Ta

Golf GTD Mk7
getting there mate. Glad she fired up ok in the end :) Red looks good on the bump strips. How extreme you going with the colour scheme. Red bonnet ;)

172, Tiguan
Front and rear bumpers are red along with the side strips and mirrors, but thats as far as it goes on the outside. The cage will be red as well (when it all goes in). I've still got all the silver stuff so can swap back if it ends up looking a bit naff, but so far so good (imo).

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Good work Jon, does the front and rear bumper being red mean you have a titanium front bumper going spare???? ;)

Also, you say the system takes 7.1 litres? Really?? Silly bint at Renault only gave me 5l... bugger!!!

Seats look great and it's really coming along, bet you can't wait to get using it!!!

172, Tiguan
If I decide it looks good in red mate then i've got the bumpers. Might keep them, but if I change my mind i'll drop you a pm!

7.1 is what i've read up on here if the system is empty. Apparently 5 is fine if nothing has been flushed?

You are right mate, can't wait!

172, Tiguan
Further progress. I'm getting there.

Connected the battery up and drove the car off the ramps (
thumb.gif
).

Topped up Pas fluid and filled the system up after turning the wheel. Almighty noise to start with, but it was slient after the fluid circulated. Good stuff. Managed to get covered in pas fluid though which is horrible stuff!

Let the engine warm up at 2.5k as per Renault tech notes and the thermostat soon opened when the fan cut in. Added extra coolant and she was all sorted.

It was during this time we noticed the smoke from the exhaust. Our hearts sank. There was a little to start with, then there was a lot. I've not seen so much smoke since one of Nige's bonfire pics. :(

Dismayed that it was still smoking after 20 mins we turned the engine off. I had thoughts going through my head about where to get a new engine, borrowing engine tools again. Dad an I both went and got a beer.

After a while we started it again and the smoke was noticeably less. Infact, after a while we noticed it was steam, lots of steam. Where was the water coming from? Levels were fine and temp guage was perfect. Bizarre.

After half hour the steam began to subside. Eventually it all went. I can't begin to explain the relief!

All I can think of is that the exhaust has been sat in a cold garage for 4/5 months, it's stainless, and it must've filled with condensation?

Anyway, panic over.

After dinner I removed the rear bumper and fitted the new red one.

cc111e2f.jpg

84a68921.jpg

(It was pitch black at this point)

Offered up the front bumper

4f3343f3.jpg

Fitted it, then remembered on the PH1 the grill has to go on first! Bumper off and back on again.

63b287fe.jpg

As she stands when I went indoors:

clio07092011.jpg

I've fitted the chav lights back to the front of it, but I do have an original set if necessary along with all the original silver bumpers. I'm aware some aren't keen on the colour scheme, but doesn't bother me in the slightest.
lol.gif

Finally:

jls-clio.jpg

I've got a few hours on it tonight, so i've got to finish of a few items of trim that need fitting, then the dash has to come out ready for the cage to go in.

172, Tiguan
Please remember this isn't a road car! If I turn up to a trackday in yet another silver Clio then what good is that?

It looks like you have chosen to have red wheels and then had a bash and got some red bumpers! Ha.

At least get a blue rear or something. Yellow bootlid. Clio Harlequin.

172, Tiguan
Rob, finally a man with style!

I guess it's not scene to have red bumpers, therefore I fail.

Stagecoach Ticket
I think the red looks good

cracking project makes me feel so sad my ph1 left on a trailer this morning to its new owner 1 hour drive from the ring :'(

172, Tiguan
Thanks!

I loved the colour scheme last night and having seen it again (briefly) tonight I love it even more! Everyone else that's seen it in the flesh has said the same so it's staying for now. The silver bumpers are already packed in the laguna to head north with me tomorrow!

Seat frames back, all sorted:

be638c86.jpg

80612586.jpg

Andy charged me £30 which I was happy with. He's done a good job and even flattened off the horrible Cobra welds so the sidemounts sit flush. He was less than complimentary about the build quality, especially after I told him the original price!!

Drivers one in place already! :)

Last edited:
  172, Tiguan
Car goes off to get cage fitted this Friday so i'm in a mad rush on the two evenings i have free this week!

Bonnet fitted again. All seems to line up. Amazing.

781d6029.jpg

Next up, I needed to remove the dash. Top bit was easy peasy, so that just left the bottom half. Steering wheel off, stalks off, radio hand controls off and binned. Disconnected the heater controls (fiddley) and then the 7 obvious screws, 4 hidden screws and the one b*****d screw. Everything free I then yanked it and it came free, except it didn't. The guy that had fitted the alarm had run the loom between the dash and the heater pipes, which is all one sealed unit.
angry.gif
angry.gif

Out came the hacksaw.

cde5ad20.jpg

Nevermind, i'm going to a newer shape dash anyway.

The resulting mess:

1fc1b72f.jpg

The loom is HUGE
shock.gif
In addition to it the Cobra alarm wires are everywhere.

Tidyed temporarily with cable ties and called it a night.

Bought a small present as well

e22376f8.jpg

Need to buy all the other bits to get it sorted, but its a start!

172, Tiguan
She's all ready for her trip out tomorrow evening - even if her owner nearly had to cancel it today
to%20be%20added.gif

7fa3244e.jpg

0ff2e2f5.jpg

Need to say it's on coilovers at the back and standard up front still, plus the slope on the drive exagerates things a bit. In reality it's not that low.

caf89e6e.jpg

f30a4b29.jpg

Hopefully pics tomorrow night of it actually on a trailer going to UB's. After today, thats a miracle!

172, Tiguan
I'm not keen on the tailpipe design anyway so it'll change to a single exit out through the bumper cut out. It's a lovely exhaust otherwise, so no need to change much.