ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just how fast are 172's

valver
i could read book times and stats until my eyes exploded and still wouldnt really know, in the real world would they get raped but the likes of scooby's and other performance cars or more on the level of vts gti's and that kinda perforamnce level. im considering getting one and i love power and all things fast but also thinking of a scooby or rx-7 but always had a soft spot for the 172. any opinions welcome. also are they easy to upgrade the performance. im after bang for buck.

Mk4 .:R32
They are fast, but a scooby would beat it in a straight line. the 172 is quality around corners and roundabouts though. with a couple of small mods your looking at about in the late 6's to 60, top end of 140mph. It's all about personal preferance, if you want people to hear you before they see you and you don't mint a large insurance and petrol bill, get a scooby. If you aren't too fussed about going 0-60 in under 6-7 seconds, and want something fun and nippy that you can throw around corners.....get a 172. Obviously turbo cars are much easier and cheaper to tune the engine than non-turbo cars. It's weather you wallet can face filling it up every couple of days.

The last comment about filling up every couple of days was about a scoobs by the way - 172's have awesome MPG for a quick car, I average around 35mpg.

Last edited:
  M2 Competition
If you want a dual carriageway blaster, pick something else.

If you want a b-road blaster, trackday toy, ring tool, will keep up with much much faster machinery.

RenaultSport 197
i could read book times and stats until my eyes exploded and still wouldnt really know, in the real world would they get raped but the likes of scooby's and other performance cars or more on the level of vts gti's and that kinda perforamnce level. im considering getting one and i love power and all things fast but also thinking of a scooby or rx-7 but always had a soft spot for the 172. any opinions welcome. also are they easy to upgrade the performance. im after bang for buck.

Walk away from the RX-7 (unless you're prepared to pump lots of money into repairing its w*nkel rotory engine if you rag it around).

FYI, If you look at a 350-Z its quicker and has a higher top end then an RX-8 ;)

140mph top, takes a while to get there too thanks to the "brick" influenced aerodynamics.

Gearbox is only geared to 138mph.

valver
yeah heard about the twistie factor of the 172, i didnt think they would run the scoobys etc, but are they a lot quicker than say a vts, 106 gti, golf gti's that kinda performance spec and i do mean straight line.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI
yeah heard about the twistie factor of the 172, i didnt think they would run the scoobys etc, but are they a lot quicker than say a vts, 106 gti, golf gti's that kinda performance spec and i do mean straight line.

No there not!! Coming from a 172 Cup owner to a VTS lol!

Impreza P1
I owned a 172 Cup for a year then switched to a scooby (bug eye)

The Cup I loved it was so damn quick and loved to rev , cornering ability was immense, but I had to many niggly problems that were costing 100 pound to 150 pound extra a month.

The Cup was £1100 to insure and the scooby £1300 so not to much difference in insurance, and im only 21 just !!!!

The scooby is a serious tool coming back from Southend I was doing 145mph behind another scooby and he was still pulling away.

It's cornering ability again is even better than my Clio.

However everyone knows what they are , I preferred the Clio as it was a street sleeper and people would what the hell is in that . (the element of suprise)

The scooby also only returns 27-28mpg on a run and when you drive hard well.........

I'd have a Clio again maybe as a track day weapon but my scooby and R5 gtt surfice me to say the least

Good luck fella car hunting

I wouldn't say they were a lot quicker, but it's defo quicker than the ones you mentioned.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i love 172's, handle ok standard, handle awesome when modded, 5k kick adds to the hardcore feeling they have.

but my mates got a 300bhp mk1 sti impreza and i know id MUCH rather have that even if it does only get about 10mpg, it makes it worth while when it roars and shoots flames on gearchange lol

valver
allright cheers guys, im coming up 21 so insurance is dropping. for me on a wrx is £1200 old shape which i think is reasonable and afforrdable, but i know servicing costs are high but i want to beat my mates (me needs power) sounds childish but true lol, mates got a 2.2 prelude which i must add isnt as fast as i thought it would be, he beats the valver but not by the margine i thought.

Compared to a 106 GTi / VTS then they are very slightly worse at the corners, but have a little more acceleration, so are slightly quicker out of the corners.

On the straight the 172's are a little bit ahead.

Whats your budget if you don't mind me asking mate?? What reg impreza you looking at? You thought about a P1??

valver
cant afford a p1 mate would be nice tho at the mo its about 4.5k still saving though so not sure how much ill have just wait for a car to come up and if ive got the dosh ill grab it.

Clio v6
Compared to a 106 GTi / VTS then they are very slightly worse at the corners, but have a little more acceleration, so are slightly quicker out of the corners.

On the straight the 172's are a little bit ahead.

That's what I found when I had a 172.

cliov6powaa.gif

Last edited:
I would love a P1. But like Kris said, they are rare, but to find one that is in very good condition is ridiculously rare, and plus they are expensive. If I was you I would try and save another couple of grand and get a 172 cup. Then look into performance mods like decat, carbon induction kit, GDI, coilovers!!! In unison, they will make a big difference.

2014 Focus Titanium
I agree on the comparison to VTS/Gtis in a straight, line, my Mrs mk2 172 can pull away from my VTS a few car lengths on long straights, but i reckon mine will turn slightly quicker. Although it wouldn't be enough to keep up round the track, the clio is still a decent cornering machine.

Imo, the Clio is much better on high speed corners, feels more planted on standard suspension because the VTS isnt quite as well set up as standard and tends to get a little skitty. A well set up VTS is a different matter, as would be a well set up 172.

172s are great cars, and to be honest, the only reason i would buy an impreza over one is for the sound/mod-ability, because standard they aren't that much to be desired imo. The best bit about a Clio is that it is so chuckable and quite a raw hatch for this day in age, but what it lacks is grunt top end.

Look at the 0-100 times and u will see a 172 does it in about 18s standard, so its no slouch, but its after that it gets a bit breathless thanks to its aerodynamics and lack of out-right power. But lets be honest, since when does top speed matter except for pub talk?

well in a traffic light blast, my m8 had a scooby sportwagon (with big boot) turbo'd jobby, and he didnt exactly mince it away from me in my 182... in corners i had him, even with 4-wheel drive, a big barge shaped object, didnt fill him with the most confidence

they are a good going we car i think, up there with the likes of civic type r's focus rs etc(standard of course) i suppose for fwd u wont get much quicker on b roads, on a straight 2.0 turbo cars will prob be quicker esp up over 100mph

but the only cars that will take it a step further in terms of out right speed are the likes of 4wd and rwd turbo'd cars

and i have to add that a healthy 172 is noticeably quicker than a vts/gti
i have owned a 106gti and i now own a 172 and the 172 is def quicker it did make 186bhp on the rolling road though so its quite a bit up on power over a standard 106gti/vts

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I used to have a VTS and my 172 doesn't feel any quicker. I actually think it feels slower due to being bigger and higher up. I had a go against a few 172's in my VTS and there was nothing in it. Defo handle better than a 172. More of a thrill to drive.

That said. I still prefer the 172 overall but as a drivers car, the VTS is more hardcore and puts more of a smile on your face.

Clio 172 mk2
It isn't about outright speed...any c**t can point a car down the motorway and max it out (done daily by reps in oil burners).

Where the 172 shines is in the fun department.....good handing & steering.

Subarus are quick but after owning one myself I probably wouldn't have another...the petrol consumption was just ludicrous.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
I used to have a VTS and my 172 doesn't feel any quicker. I actually think it feels slower due to being bigger and higher up. I had a go against a few 172's in my VTS and there was nothing in it. Defo handle better than a 172. More of a thrill to drive.

That said. I still prefer the 172 overall but as a drivers car, the VTS is more hardcore and puts more of a smile on your face.

Surly as hard core as a 172cup or Trophy

my 172 ff is more grown up i suppose than my 106 was but i think its a better all round car and more reliable too maybe because its newer.
the 172 has alot more torque also

cock mobile.
If you want a dual carriageway blaster, pick something else.

If you want a b-road blaster, trackday toy, ring tool, will keep up with much much faster machinery.

Agree with this as well.

My Cup was certainly quicker than VTS / GTIs, admittedly in the corners this was less obvious, for the same reason a Cup could keep up with more powerful machines itself.