ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just read Top Gear Magazine....

133/225/CLS AMG

...and it has an interesting artilcle on the Fiesta ST150 vs Clio 182 Cup vs Seat Ibiza Cupra.

They actually rate the ST over the 182 in regards to overall hot hatchness what with the bigger wheels and racing stripes.

I think part the reason why the 182 Cup lost was the interior! If they had compared the 182 standard interior it would have been more fare. That was the whole reason I bought a 172 not a 172 Cup. I think the 182 would trounce the ST150 in all aspects really.

What you reckon??????

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI

I have not read the article but I think it speaks volumes that they rated the Fiesta higher than the 182 Cup purely because it has stripes and bigger wheels. They obviously have no idea what they are on about.

^^^I am 100% sure that is the answer you will get here. The Fiesta is the better built car and in some respects the better all rounder ( I will probably be shot down for that comment )...but at the end of the day the 182 is a lot rawer and a hell of alot quicker..each to their own in my opinion..

Also do a search for more answers because we have had threads on the same subject after a similar test was conducted by Evo & Auto Express.

Rob

this discussion has been done to death really.

The ST is a capable car, and has recieved some great reviews. The interior is spanking too, i would say nicer than the 182 leather too.

I think they rate it so well as it is nippy, handles great, has the hot hatch "look" with the big wheels and stripes (not saying the clio doesnt have this)

and it is cheap to run. Insurance is a lot less than the clio ( i know, i applied for both cars, and the ST was about £500 cheaper!) the car costs less to buy, and less to run.

Also the tuning potential in the new Duratec engines they have used is unreal, and fairly cheap to get the power.

[Edited by Guilbert on 05 April 2005 at 3:29pm]

I also agree with what Rob said.

And personally i would prefer the ST over a 182, purely for running costs. I know the clio is a quicker car, but put the same power in the ST and i think the 182 would have some serious competion on the track. People in here will slate the ST as they all own 182s so of course they are going to say there car is better. But thats 3 magazines now and probably more which rate the ST better.

If it was the other way around and the 182 was rated the better car, we would all be saying how right they are!

the st150 is an excellent car, maybe not better than the clio, but up there with it

its main problem is its underpowered, imho it looks better than the clio though

Well about 3 months ago this was the decision i faced, looking to replace my 206 Gti. ST or 182.

Happily for the last 2 months Ive been the proud owner of a new arctic blue 182 with cup packs and Im not regretting, especially now its run in :)

cock mobile.

The seats in the ST are awfull!!

They look nice, but just dont seem right when you sit in them, they dont hold you one bit!

Plus you cant actually buy a ST, well at least he wouldnt let me have a test drive, ohh group 14 couldnt afford the insurance.

Clearly didnt see what car I drove in with!!!

Ziel Nurburgring

Ford Certainly know what they are doing with handling of cars, but always seem to fall short in terms of power.

Maybe they are leaving the door open for an RS version at some point and dont want to get to close to the power output

Looks wise, id go for the clio. I prefer the curves to the sharpe edges. Not seen the interior so cant comment

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 05 April 2005

Ford Certainly know what they are doing with handling of cars, but always seem to fall short in terms of power.

Maybe they are leaving the door open for an RS version at some point and dont want to get to close to the power output

Looks wise, id go for the clio. I prefer the curves to the sharpe edges. Not seen the interior so cant comment

There was always talk of an RS version, but they brought out the ST instead. However, on the ST owners forum, there is talk that the RS version is still to go ahead, its just behind schedule. It looks awesome. and is a proper hot hatch race car. Boasting well over the 200bhp mark, turbo, the air intakes are already built into the lights, the typical wide arches, and it comes in the latest RS blue colour. It looks stunning you can see.

Ok this one is silver, but you get the idea

http://1.im.cz/n/photo/01/82/48seeoy-gallery.jpg

Embarrassed to say

They liked it because Fraud pay them the most advertising revenues. Give me a grand and ill tell you anything you wanna hear. I drove the last fraud crapola supposedly with improved handling, it was a gutless pig in the corners as well as the straights. Fraud need to stop kidding themselves and bring out giant killing RS cars and to hell with this ST rubbish.

133/225/CLS AMG

As I said i dont think its reasonable to compare the ST150 to the any Clio CUP. As there are numerous things removed from the CUP versions that the ST would then have.

It is was the Clio 182 vs the ST150 it would be comparible on features. Any of the Clios would out drive the 150 even though it does seem like a good car.

Its all down to preference though isnt it!! I mean lots of people wouldnt buy a Clio. I wouldnt realistically buy a Fiesta.

I cant give an opinion on the Ford having not driven it but as the other Rob has said, the Clio is defo not an all rounder, the only good thing about it is the fact its quick IMO.

Top Gear is a motoring magazine, not a performance car magazine, remember that!

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by cupsportmad on 05 April 2005

They liked it because Fraud pay them the most advertising revenues. Give me a grand and ill tell you anything you wanna hear. I drove the last fraud crapola supposedly with improved handling, it was a gutless pig in the corners as well as the straights. Fraud need to stop kidding themselves and bring out giant killing RS cars and to hell with this ST rubbish.

I totally agree with that comment, although the ST cars are still good cars, much better than the bog standard versions, and generally all the ST versions have dam good engines in them.

But defo give me an RS ford any day of the week. If it was the RS fiesta vs the 182 full fat or cup, the fiesta would trounce all over the clio.

I think thats fords problem, they either make bloody excellent RS cars, or average quicker cars, which they could make so much better. All they needed to do with the ST was stick another 50bhp in it and it would be a great car. Then when they do bring out the RS version, make it RWD and stick 250+bhp in it.

133/225/CLS AMG

I read in a couple of sources that the RS version is never going to appear?!?! Probably coz by the time they get round to it they will probably have a new shape Fiesta.

I think by the time Im getting a new car I wanna move on to something faster, perhaps Megane 225/Seat Leon Cupra and those kinda cars!!!

I know the release date was set back, and they were umming and arhing whether to bring it out or not. And i dont know they defo will. I think they would be daft not to, as it looks an awsome car, and they could sell quite a few if you ask me.

133/225/CLS AMG

i reckon they could sell a few but heard they were gonna be pushing the £18-19k mark and that would put a lot of people off.

Would need to perform like 0-60 in 6 secs, 150mph+ otherwise people could just look elsewhere!! As in CTR, Clio 1?2, Megane 225 etc.

Megane R26

i was just checking out a fiesta st forum, some of the comments are fair but one guy said this.....

"at the end of the day the clio 172/182 r str8 road racers, ge them on a track and they r pants

ST all the way"

- hmmm, whatever!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

my mate has just recently got one, got it in white with the stripes only on the doors, looks absolutely stunning, really nice, i think that all round it is better looking than the 182, but not the 172, i cant comment on performance as i havent been in it.

only my opinion

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 05 April 2005

Theres a blue one up the road to me and it doesnt really stand out much. Sits a bit high too.

As does a 182 without cup packs if you ask me.

At the end of the day though, no car is perfect, and people are not going to agree with all the reviews in magazines. They are they to help those that dont know any better.

People will buy what they like, and test drive the car first.

Personally i am a fast ford person, so would have the ST over the clio, but i still dont doubt the clios capabilities.

Megane R26

I do like the st alot, I think it looks quite solid. but for me the clio is just that bit better in terms of performance & looks. but hey, everyone has different tastes.

I pick my 182 up in 2 weeks, I looked at and even test drove the ST but the Clio was an easy choice in the end, the ST was a nice car but it just didnt do it for me in the end, I thought it was a bit dull all round, I think an RS version would of swayed me though!

133/225/CLS AMG

It is definately all down to opinion. I wouldnt buy one from the Clio I have now as i feel it would be a step back.

For a new buyer into the 172/182/ST150/Cupra bracket it would probably be more tempting but I wouldnt buy one now, onwards and upwards not sideways.

Embarrassed to say

ST all the hallmarks of a sh*t ford /excellent ford brainwash make people think its a good car ad campaign- quote evo says its right-

"While the ride is indeed supple and able to soften the worst ridges and pot-holes, this doesnt go hand-in-hand with confident composure. Indeed, theres a vagueness on turn-in combined with a lack of steering feel that knocks your enthusiasm for pressing on and discovering how much grip there is.

There is, in fact, no shortage of traction or cornering grip, and like the best Ford chassis, the Fiesta is essentially benign. Pile into a tight corner, back off sharply and the rear is reluctant to edge out by more than a few degrees. Thats with the ESP switched off; left on, the Fiesta wont budge from its line, the electronic brain working the discs to reign in the slightest excess.
However, this isnt a chassis that flows, the odd bump unsettling its poise while the wooliness on turn-in and the lack of steering feedback in those vital fractions of a second as the car turns are dissatisfying. The ST is more like the flat-footed 206 GTI than the nimble Clio Cup.
The engine isnt a source of joy either. Coarse and characterless, it labours up through the mid-range and you find yourself at the redline wondering what happened to the sweet spot where it comes alive. Theres noticeable shunt when you get on and off the throttle, too. "

Excellent brakes and interior/sh*t handling and engine its a skoda in drag.

Anyway - I like the ST150.

Saw one in the flesh the other day and it looked mint. Not very menacing, but mint. Its a 182 for gays.

BMW 120i Sport

The diamond white + blue stripes on the ST150 look absolutely stunning - they should have made a 182 in white available in the UK. Tuning options are starting to appear with a manifold alone http://www.rsstoc.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=183returning a hike in power to 162 bhp.

Coupled with a full exhaust system, decat and remap; it might be enough to scare us 182 owners, although the Fiesta ST 150 is 150 kg heavier so its gonna have to be upwards of 180 bhp to stand a chance. Then they have to sort that incredibly high ride height out.

It might be worth pointing out that some MK6 Fiestas have had random break downs / engine management light issues - better build quality? Hmm, not sure :).

Edit: just realised the ST is http://www.rsstoc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=976prone to the engine management light prob too

Embarrassed to say

Its not out the box quick though like an rs clio. Why not just buy an rs clio instead of a crap ford that needs so much remedied to make it decent. You also have a warranty with an rs clio so its a safer bet than a modded fiesta at the mercy of a dreaded fraud stealer.

R

rich[182]

ST150 looks sh*t IMHO, great interior and cant dispute the handling and build but Id not consider one purely and simply down to its looks.

B-road bully

the new fiesta is too upright, doesnt kno if its a hot hatch or a family car, interior is boring, fords are too commerial too, they probally used the same platorm on 50 over cars! tho i guess thats the way car manufacturing is goin, one day well be drvin the same car with different badges:cry:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 05 April 2005
The diamond white + blue stripes on the ST150 look absolutely stunning - they should have made a 182 in white available in the UK. Tuning options are starting to appear with a manifold alone http://www.rsstoc.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=183returning a hike in power to 162 bhp.

Coupled with a full exhaust system, decat and remap; it might be enough to scare us 182 owners, although the Fiesta ST 150 is 150 kg heavier so its gonna have to be upwards of 180 bhp to stand a chance. Then they have to sort that incredibly high ride height out.

It might be worth pointing out that some MK6 Fiestas have had random break downs / engine management light issues - better build quality? Hmm, not sure :).

Edit: just realised the ST is http://www.rsstoc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=976prone to the engine management light prob too

my friend has that exact colour, looks lovely but yeah a little high.......coilovers anyone

Scirocco GT 210

There will be no fiesta RS. Ford lost too much money (about £4k a car) on the focus RS and the same will happen with the fiesta RS if made. Not enough interest in the European market. Shame really.

As for the ST, just seems like a slower, slightly cheaper to own 182 to me. Looks nice, the interior however is awful, so dull. Prefer my 172 interior.

If someone offered a swap, a ST for my clio, Id swap it.... then sell the ST, buy another clio and pocket the change ;)

Embarrassed to say

If theres going to be no Fiesta FS then i suspect ford are pretty much out of the hot hatch game until the next focus RS. The ST isnt even warm. If you mod an ST your have to declare the mods to the insurance so no more cheap insurance.