ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec’s New Hidden Zorst For 172

R

rich[182]

In case anyone else been thinking about it, Spoke to K-Tec and they are finalising testing of it and should be available mid Feb for approx £250-£260 inc vat and cliosport discount. Stainless cat-back with hidden tailpipe like std car and wont be as boomy as others but still better noise than std.

Think Ill be getting one at some point as still not seen any visible zorst that suit the 172 mk2 (my own opinion for what its worth)

Like the hidden tailpipe on the 172, but I still think itll look wierd when you hear one fly down the road, but cant see any exhaust lol!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 21 January 2004

Stainless cat-back with hidden tailpipe like std car and wont be as boomy as others but still better noise than std.
Its a winner in my book...

Better quality than the original, will give a performance improvement, will sound good, but not too loud (perfect IMO) and the stealth of not having a big tailpipe (or two) poking out the back! :D

people will just think you exhaust is gone without the tailpipe surely..honda and peugeout cant be wrong as they added tailpipes to there sports models...finish the back end of nicely IMO

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 21 January 2004

Stainless cat-back with hidden tailpipe like std car and wont be as boomy as others but still better noise than std.

Better quality than the original, will give a performance improvement, will sound good, but not too loud (perfect IMO) and the stealth of not having a big tailpipe (or two) poking out the back! :D

yep!

R

rich[182]

cuppy - difference is that other hatches like pug 206 gti180 & ctr have a back bumper with factory made cutout so all you see is just the tailpipe(s) whereas with 172 the bottom of rear bumper is a straight line so you still see part of backbox and the whole length of the tailpipe, the only way round this that ive seen is to fit the k-tec rear splitter and then cut out for tailpipes this looks cool but costs a further £200-£250 painted & fitted on top of the zorst itself, dont wanna attempt to do a custom cutout on bumper either so prefer hidden

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by SilverRSC on 21 January 2004

yep!
Spot on for me too. Think Ill be getting one of these.!!!

I either want to custom make a tailpipe with a bit of bendy tubing extending from a performance box mated to a tailpipe trim and poke it out of the middle of the rear bumper (to one side) or get a side exit made.

If I cant do this then ill go for a hidden pipe, as the ones that hang under the bumper look a bit out of place - they need a cut out IMO. Or failing that they need to be flat against the bumper in the form of a sort of slot tailpipe -1 X 6 inch sort of size.

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 21 January 2004Stainless cat-back with hidden tailpipe like std car and wont be as boomy as others but still better noise than std.[/QUOTE]Its a winner in my book...Better quality than the original, will give a performance improvement, will sound good, but not too loud (perfect IMO) and the stealth of not having a big tailpipe (or two) poking out the back!  :D 

I agree, been thinking about zorsts and dtuff for a while but I really want to keep the car looking standard. This looks like a good comprimise. Wonder what the power gain will be like?

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 21 January 2004

I agree, been thinking about zorsts and dtuff for a while but I really want to keep the car looking standard. This looks like a good comprimise. Wonder what the power gain will be like?
If its cat-back, I would expect the gains to be minimal.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Although if you pair it up with a K-Tec DeCat or SportsCat then gains should be as high as any other exhaust system.

Just need K-Tec to comment now.

Superb, I was thinking of getting the sports cat and now with the hidden tail pipe it seems exactly what I want, just dont know if the K-Tec tailpipe will give any gains over the standard?

Integra DC5 Type R

cuppy - difference is that other hatches like pug 206 gti180 & ctr have a back bumper with factory made cutout so all you see is just the tailpipe(s) whereas with 172 the bottom of rear bumper is a straight line so you still see part of backbox and the whole length of the tailpipe, the only way round this that ive seen is to fit the k-tec rear splitter and then cut out for tailpipes this looks cool but costs a further £200-£250 painted & fitted on top of the zorst itself, dont wanna attempt to do a custom cutout on bumper either so prefer hidden

I know exactly what you mean about the visible back box. Its ugly. I specifically asked K-tec about this, and they tell me that their back boxes are tucked up behind the rear bumper, so you only see the tailpipes as they exit the back box at the bottom... if u see wot i mean lol

i suppose you could also get some heat resistant black matt paint and paint the back box black to further hide it ???

Since having the visible tailpipes/system on my car, Ive been hassled more by police and every 1.1 Saxo and 1.2 Clio in Sheffield. Im tempted to get the backbox replaced with something hidden.

R

rich[182]

rick_172

top idea that painting lark - should def make seeing the backbox less obvious, sure halfords etc will sell black heat resistant paint for less than a tenner.

Gonna contact K-Tec in 2-3 wks to see how things are progressing, Other than that am also keen to see pics of 172 with single 3" scorpion fitted as it seems subtle and all you see is tailpipe and it fits flush with bumper too.

Mk2 Golf GTI

Another idea, take one of the heatshields from the 182 and get it fitted to your bumper, this will then look factory

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by CUPPY on 21 January 2004

surely..honda and peugeout cant be wrong as they added tailpipes to there sports models...
The 106 GTi has no visible tailpipe either...

R

rich[182]

For the very few people likely to be interested

K-Tec have now posted a picture of the backbox, it looks identical to the std item, checkout above link

At last... I spoke with them (dont think it was David) about a couple of weeks ago and they couldnt confirm dates. I nearly went elswear... Think Ill wait now!!

Good job K-tec!!

Lee

BMW M2C

I think I might swap my current system for one of these two. Im getting bored with the one I have. :confused:

R

rich[182]

lee m

am i right, you got the twin magnex 3" yeh ?

how come you bored, noise or the looks ?

Lee

BMW M2C

Yup, Magnex twin 3.5".

Noise is spot on. That would be my concern with the K Tec having heard there current range. Its the looks Im tired of. Ive always liked the hidden tail pipe on the 172, so would quite like it back again, only with a better noise.

Ill wait and see what its like on some elses first then decide.

Lee

BMW M2C

If no one has got one in a couple of months time maybe Ill just take the plunge. Im an impatient little sh*t. :D

Ive been looking at other makes recently. (Howard & Scott - expensive), but am ready to get the exhaust now or when its ready! Dont fancy being guinneaipig tho!

R

rich[182]

hillpower also do one for £350, but its literally custom made/fit and need car for 2 full days

I like the sound of this system but I am desperate to cure my 4K rattle. Would one of these puppies do the trick or is the 4K rattle something else?

Quote: Originally posted by WestWood on 14 February 2004

I like the sound of this system but I am desperate to cure my 4K rattle. Would one of these puppies do the trick or is the 4K rattle something else?
I could easily be wrong, I thought the 4K rattle was the baffles in the mid-section silencer. Thats whear mine rattles and sounds gay!